Toppling cylinder angular velocity

In summary: A\cos\omega t + B\sin\omega tIn summary, the problem involves approximating an object as a cylinder and estimating the impact load exerted on another object when the cylinder topples over from a vertical position. The approach is to use the impact loading case and do an energy balance between the rotation energy of the cylinder and the energy stored in a spring, with the help of relevant equations such as F=m*a, \tau=r*F*sin(\theta), \tau=I*\alpha, and Erot=\frac{1}{2}*I*\omega2. The angular velocity is needed to calculate the rotational potential energy, and it can be found by integrating the angular
h4nsm0l3m4n

Homework Statement

I am approximating an object as a cylinder (h=6, r=1, mass=200lb). The cylinder is in the process of toppling over from a vertical position. I will assume that the cylinder can pivot freely on the bottom surface. At some angle theta, the cylinder will strike an object, we'll assume with the top edge of the cylinder. I would like the estimate the impact load exerted on that object.

Homework Equations

F=m*a
[itex]\tau[/itex]=r*F*sin([itex]\theta[/itex])
[itex]\tau[/itex]=I*[itex]\alpha[/itex]
Erot=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]*I*[itex]\omega[/itex]2

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to use the impact loading case (basic summary here http://www.pdhcenter.com/courses/s164/s164content.pdf) to help find an equivalent load on impact.
Basically, in this process I will approximate the object as a spring do an energy balance between the rotation energy of the cylinder and the energy stored in the spring.

However I needed to find the angular velocity to calculate the rotational potential energy.
I figured the gravitational force exerts a torque on the cylinder from the center of mass
F=m*g
[itex]\tau[/itex]=r*F*sin([itex]\theta[/itex])
r in this case is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the cylinder
[itex]\tau[/itex]=[itex]\frac{h}{2}[/itex]*m*g*sin([itex]\theta[/itex])
Since, [itex]\tau[/itex]=I*[itex]\alpha[/itex]
[itex]\alpha[/itex]=[itex]\frac{h*m*g*sin(\theta)}{2*I}[/itex]
This is the angular acceleration. I thought perhaps I could integrate it with respect to t to find the angular velocity. However, it would appear that with [itex]\theta[/itex] in the equation I cannot integrate since theta is not a constant with respect to time.

Am I missing something important here, or just going about solving this problem totally the wrong way? Any help would be great, and I apologize in advance in case I put this in the wrong forum.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to put the terms with theta in them on the LHS before integrating.[tex]\frac{1}{\sin\theta}\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} = \frac{hmg}{2I}[/tex]... if you want. Second-order non-homogenious DE,

Last edited:

1. What is "toppling cylinder angular velocity"?

Toppling cylinder angular velocity is a term used in physics to describe the rate at which a cylindrical object rotates as it falls over. It is a measure of how quickly the object is spinning at any given moment during the toppling motion.

2. How is toppling cylinder angular velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating toppling cylinder angular velocity is ω = √(2g/r), where ω is the angular velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

3. What factors can affect the toppling cylinder angular velocity?

The main factors that can affect toppling cylinder angular velocity are the height and shape of the cylinder, the surface it is toppling on, and any external forces acting on the object such as friction or air resistance.

4. Why is toppling cylinder angular velocity important?

Toppling cylinder angular velocity is important in understanding the motion of objects in free fall and helps to predict the trajectory of the toppling object. It is also useful in engineering and design to ensure the stability and safety of tall cylindrical structures.

5. How can toppling cylinder angular velocity be applied in real life?

Toppling cylinder angular velocity can be applied in various real-life situations such as in sports, where it is used to analyze the rotational motion of objects like a spinning basketball or baseball. It is also important in understanding the stability of tall structures like towers and wind turbines.