Toppling of cylinder containing fluid

In summary, the cylinder topples when the height h at which water comes out of the hole is equal to the radius r.
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

A light cylindrical vessel of radius r is kept on a rough horizontal surface with sufficient friction so that it cannot slide but can topple. It is filled with water up to a height 2h and a small hole of area a is punched in it so that the water coming out of it falls at the maximum distance from its wall along horizontal surface. Water comes out horizontally from the hole. The value of h for which the cylinder topples is (are)

A)πr3/2a
B)2πr3/a
C)3πr3/2a
D)4πr3/3a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Bernoulli's principle ,velocity of the fluid coming out of the hole v= √(2gy) where y be the distance of the hole from the top .

Now since water coming out of it falls at the maximum distance from the cylinder wall along horizontal surface ,we need to maximize the distance S = (√(2gy))(√(2(2h-y)/g) .

From this we get y=h

Water coming out of the hole gives an impulse Fdt = (dm)v to the rest of the fluid ,where dm = ρA(dx)

Fdt = ρA(dx)v
or F = ρAv2

If the block has to topple about the rightmost point P , then there has to be a net torque about that point.

i.e ρAv2h - ρπr2(2h)gr ≥0

or 2ρgAh2≥2ρgπr3h

or h≥πr3/A

But this is none of the given options .

I am not sure if my reasoning and approach is correct .

I would be grateful if somebody could help me with the problem .

Attachments

• cylinder1.GIF
    cylinder1.GIF
    12.9 KB · Views: 652
  • cylinder2.GIF
    cylinder2.GIF
    13.6 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Completely agree with you, but the formulation of the question apparently allows multiple answers...
(a bit corny way of detracting good students, this question!)

Likes 1 person
So,are all the three (b), (c) and (d) correct ?

BvU said:
Completely agree with you, but the formulation of the question apparently allows multiple answers...
(a bit corny way of detracting good students, this question!)

Thanks for the input.

Would someone like to give opinion on my work in post#1 ?

Apart from that it's excellent ? I would go with XL and circle b, c and d.
If only I could regain my credibility again...

Thanks BvU :smile:

1. What causes a cylinder containing fluid to topple over?

The most common cause of toppling for a cylinder containing fluid is an uneven distribution of weight. If the weight of the fluid is not evenly distributed within the cylinder, it can cause the center of gravity to shift and lead to toppling.

2. How can the toppling of a cylinder containing fluid be prevented?

To prevent toppling, it is important to ensure that the weight of the fluid is evenly distributed within the cylinder. This can be achieved by carefully filling the cylinder and avoiding any air pockets or bubbles. Additionally, using a wider or more stable base for the cylinder can also help prevent toppling.

3. What are the potential dangers of a toppling cylinder containing fluid?

The biggest danger of a toppling cylinder containing fluid is the risk of injury or damage to nearby objects. If the cylinder is large or contains a heavy volume of fluid, it can cause significant harm if it topples over onto someone or something.

4. Can the viscosity of the fluid affect the likelihood of toppling?

Yes, the viscosity of the fluid can play a role in the likelihood of toppling. Fluids with higher viscosities, such as honey or syrup, are less likely to shift and cause toppling compared to fluids with lower viscosities, such as water or oil.

5. Are there any other factors that can contribute to the toppling of a cylinder containing fluid?

In addition to uneven weight distribution and viscosity, other factors that can contribute to toppling include the shape and material of the cylinder, external forces such as wind or vibrations, and the surface on which the cylinder is placed. It is important to consider all of these factors when working with a cylinder containing fluid to prevent toppling accidents.