Topspin and backspin (tennis)

• Thread starter ViolentCorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tennis
In summary, a tennis ball given a topspin has a higher velocity on the top than on the bottom, which should result in higher pressure on the bottom and lift according to Bernoulli's principle. However, the opposite effect actually occurs, with a top-spun ball dipping and a back-spun ball staying in the air longer. This is due to the Magnus effect, where the air flow near the ball creates a wake that generates lift in the opposite direction. Drag may also play a role in this effect. Further explanation can be found in the Wikipedia article on the Magnus effect.
ViolentCorpse
Hello everyone,

Using what little knowledge I have of physics, I guess that when a tennis ball is given a topspin, the velocity of the ball relative to the air is higher on the top than on the bottom of the ball. If Bernoulli's principle is applicable here, then the pressure should be higher on the bottom, giving the ball lift.

Now my guess is obviously very wrong, since the contrary always happens in fact (a top-spun ball dips and back-spun ball stays in the air longer), but I can't figure out the correct explanation for this effect. :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The faster relative speed should correspond to lower pressure, but the boundary layer is so thin (small) that it shouldn't have much effect. The theory behind Magnus effect is that the air flow near the ball tends to separate (detach) further behind the ball on the side spinning in the direction of relative air flow than it does on the side spinning into the relative air flow, resulting in diversion of the wake that trails the spinning ball, with lift being generated in the opposite direction of the wake diversion. Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

Magnus effect is way out of my depth, hehe.

Thanks for your answer, rcgldr! :smile:

By the way, I was wondering; wouldn't drag also be greater on the side moving into the airflow? So is it possible that the side of the ball moving into the airflow might actually have lower relative velocity owing to the higher drag?

What is topspin in tennis?

Topspin is a type of spin that is put on a tennis ball by hitting it with an upward motion, causing it to rotate in a forward direction. This spin creates a downward force on the ball, causing it to dip and drop quickly after crossing the net.

What is backspin in tennis?

Backspin is the opposite of topspin, where the ball is hit with a downward motion, causing it to rotate in a backward direction. This spin creates an upward force on the ball, causing it to bounce higher and slower after crossing the net.

What are the advantages of using topspin in tennis?

Topspin allows players to hit the ball with more power and control. It also causes the ball to dip and drop quickly, making it difficult for opponents to return. Additionally, topspin shots tend to bounce lower, making it harder for opponents to hit powerful shots in return.

What are the advantages of using backspin in tennis?

Backspin shots can be useful for defensive shots, as they tend to bounce higher and slower, giving players more time to get back into position. They can also be effective for drop shots, as the backspin causes the ball to stop and drop quickly after crossing the net.

How do you put topspin and backspin on a tennis ball?

To put topspin on a tennis ball, you need to hit the ball with an upward motion, brushing the back of the ball with your racket. To put backspin on a tennis ball, you need to hit the ball with a downward motion, brushing the top of the ball with your racket. It takes practice and proper technique to consistently put spin on a tennis ball.