Torque about an accelerating point

In summary: Inertial_forcesIn summary, the pulley is a system where the total force acting is zero. By analyzing the torque and angular acceleration about the actual axis of rotation, the axle of the pulley, we can determine the net torque equation. However, if we analyze about a different point, such as point P, we get a different equation due to the difference in moments of inertia. This is because the point P is not fixed in space and is subject to radial acceleration, so a pseudo force must be introduced to compensate for the non-inertial reference frame.
xkcda
Screenshot from 2023-05-06 23-47-56.png

The total force acting on the pulley is zero so:
F=mg+T1+T2 (1)Analyzing the torque and angular acceleration about the actual axis of rotation, the axle of the pulley, gives:
τnet=T1R−T2R=Iα (2)If we analyze about point P, the right edge of the pulley where T1 is applied, we get:
τnet=(F−mg)R−T2×2R=(I+mR2)α WRONG(3)Using Equation 1 to eliminate F−mg from Equation 3 gives:
τnet=T1R−T2R=(I+mR2)α WRONG(4)The net torque in Equations 2 and 4 is the same, but the moments of inertia are different so the angular accelerations are also different. Note that if we think of point P as attached to the right-hand string, if T1 ≠ T2 then it is accelerating.My question is if we think P as point fixed in space and not attached to to the right-hand string, then what will be the equation of torque about point P?

In the case of instantaneous axis of rotation, we say that the center of rotation is a point in space and does not undergo radial acceleration. So we think of it as an inertial frame of reference. So can't we analyze the torque about point P thinking that it not subject to any kind of acceleration.In that case we should get the actual torque about point P.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @xkcda !

The fact that I and m are given, suggests that T1 and T2 are not equal and that there is a unique angular acceleration of the pulley.

I believe that equation 4 is incorrect because the moment of inertia is incorrect.
Please, see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#cmi

Last edited:
Is there a question to be answered or a task to be performed that relates to the diagram? This is not a forum for guessing games.

Likes berkeman and erobz
xkcda said:

Torque about an accelerating point​

τnet=(F−mg)R−T2×2R=(I+mR2)α
Your title is the clue. If you take torques about an accelerating point which is not the mass centre then you need to consider the consequences of using a non-inertial frame.
As you noted, the mass centre is not accelerating here, so although you took torques about some other point the angular acceleration is still about the mass centre: I, not ##I+mR^2##.
Or, if you take a non-rotating frame moving with point P of the wheel as your reference frame, making P stationary, then you must introduce a virtual force to compensate for your non-inertial frame. On, the wheel, that will be ##mR\alpha##, upwards.
##\tau_{net}=(F−mg)R−T_2\cdot 2R+mR^2\alpha=(I+mR^2)\alpha##.
If you take a rotating frame moving with P, the reasoning may be different again, but will lead to the same equation.

• Informative
Likes xkcda
haruspex said:
Your title is the clue. If you take torques about an accelerating point which is not the mass centre then you need to consider the consequences of using a non-inertial frame.
As you noted, the mass centre is not accelerating here, so although you took torques about some other point the angular acceleration is still about the mass centre: I, not ##I+mR^2##.
Or, if you take a non-rotating frame moving with point P of the wheel as your reference frame, making P stationary, then you must introduce a virtual force to compensate for your non-inertial frame. On, the wheel, that will be ##mR\alpha##, upwards.
##\tau_{net}=(F−mg)R−T_2\cdot 2R+mR^2\alpha=(I+mR^2)\alpha##.
If you take a rotating frame moving with P, the reasoning may be different again, but will lead to the same equation.
Can you describe me the details about that pseudo force please?Did you apply ##mR\alpha## along P or along the center of mass?

Last edited:
xkcda said:
Can you describe me the details about that pseudo force please?Did you apply ##mR\alpha## along P or along the center of mass?
The "inertial force" is taken to act on each element of mass directly, in proportion to its mass. So here it would be taken to act on the mass centre.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictitious_force

Likes xkcda

1. What is torque about an accelerating point?

Torque about an accelerating point is the rotational force that causes an object to rotate around a fixed point while it is also accelerating. It is a combination of the object's mass, acceleration, and distance from the fixed point.

2. How is torque about an accelerating point calculated?

Torque about an accelerating point is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by its acceleration and the distance from the fixed point to the object. This is represented by the equation τ = m x a x r, where τ is torque, m is mass, a is acceleration, and r is the distance from the fixed point.

3. What is the difference between torque about an accelerating point and torque about a fixed point?

The main difference between torque about an accelerating point and torque about a fixed point is that torque about an accelerating point takes into account the object's acceleration, while torque about a fixed point only considers the object's rotational motion. This means that torque about an accelerating point is a more comprehensive measurement of rotational force.

4. How does torque about an accelerating point affect an object's motion?

Torque about an accelerating point affects an object's motion by causing it to rotate around the fixed point. The direction of the rotation is determined by the direction of the torque. If the torque is in the same direction as the object's rotation, it will increase the object's rotational speed. If the torque is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the rotational speed.

5. What are some real-life examples of torque about an accelerating point?

Some real-life examples of torque about an accelerating point include spinning a top, swinging a bat, and using a wrench to tighten a bolt. In all of these situations, the object is rotating around a fixed point while also experiencing acceleration, resulting in torque about an accelerating point.