Torque and power of electric motor

In summary: Force is not measured in kg and the object is moving horizontally. But the problem is, the weight is moved by the Pulley and the Pulley is rotated by a motor. The motor has to overcome the load (weight and friction) to rotate the pulley. So the weight on the pulley would be the force that the motor has to overcome. The formula for power we use here is not the standard, but the one derived by James Watt. He found that a horse could do 33,000 ft-lb of work per minute. Hence the unit hp was derived as 550 ft-lb/s which is 75 kg-m/s. Kgs and lbs are units of mass, but here we are using them as
Prabhjyot Singh
Hallo
Currently I am engaged with my Company's Project and it is about Electric motor as my Knowledge is not that good about Electric motors, I need your help. I want to move 80 kgs of Weight with the speed of 80 km/h with a motor and a 260 mm pulley. The motor is standing vertically and the pulley above the floor. Now I need to calculate how much Torque and Power I need for my Motor so that I can move the weight (80 Kgs) with 80 km/h speed. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanking You
Prem

Engineering news on Phys.org
To calculate the torque required its simply 1/2*D*L where D is the pulley diameter and L is the load.

Ya but I want to calculate Torque and Power to move 80 kgs of weight with 80 km/h

I would double check this but in English units HP= torque * rpm ÷5252. So if you calculate the required torque, you know the HP of the motor you find rpm. So translate you required speed to rpm and I think you got it.

Since velocity is a linear measure (distance of time) and you are spinning a shaft which is angular velocity you have to relate them by converting velocity to RPM. Hope this helps!

Ya I understood the formula but the thing is rpm is revolution per minute (rotational motion) and velocity in linear velocity and I am not sure if calculating rpm will directly give me linear velocity that I need to move the object

you have to convert velocity to angular velocity to when you are using a spinning shaft. Angular velocity is calculated by v = r × ω
Where:
v: Linear velocity, in m/s
r: Radius, in meter
ω: Angular velocity, in rad/s

To do this in RPM you would use v = r × RPM × 0.10472

Where:
v: Linear velocity, in m/s
r: Radius, in meter
RPM: Angular velocity, in RPM (Rotations per Minute)

The answer lies in two factors:
How fast do you want to get to 80km/hr
What forces are acting on the mass at steady state - There will likely be significant air drag at 80km/hr among other sources of friction.

The mass of the cable makes things a little difficult - the moment of inertia of the pulley system increases with time as the mass of the cable is probably not negligible.

Your question is incomplete. For example, are you lifting the weight or moving it horizontally? Let's assume you are lifting the weight. The torque required for a constant lifting speed would be (pulley radius X (load weight + system friction). The starting torque depends on how quickly you want to reach the required 80 km/h speed, that is, how quickly must you accelerate the load? That would be {[(axle torque / pulley radius) - (load weight + starting friction] / mass of the load}.

This is pretty sparse. Post more if this doesn't help.

The relationship between torque and power is power = speed x torque.
This holds true no matter what units you use, but if you employ an inconsistent system of units, you'll need to insert conversion factors.
The following units are standard:
[power] = watts (W)
[speed] = radians per second (rad/s)
[torque] = Newton-metres (N-m)

Just an editorial comment, I do wish "power" wasn't used so much in mechanical engineering. It is misunderstood by so many people, including engineers. Power isn't a "thing", it's a rate. It doesn't do anything. For example, power cannot be used to calculate the rate of acceleration on a mass or how sturdy a driveshaft must be or the loading on a gear tooth, etc. For any given power and mass there are an infinite number of valid acceleration values. For any rate of power delivered by a driveshaft there are an infinite number of valid torque values. Conversely, for any given mass and rate of constant acceleration there are an infinite number of valid power values. Etc., etc.

Likes Merlin3189
Prabhjyot Singh said:
Hallo
Currently I am engaged with my Company's Project and it is about Electric motor as my Knowledge is not that good about Electric motors, I need your help. I want to move 80 kgs of Weight with the speed of 80 km/h with a motor and a 260 mm pulley. The motor is standing vertically and the pulley above the floor. Now I need to calculate how much Torque and Power I need for my Motor so that I can move the weight (80 Kgs) with 80 km/h speed. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanking You
Prem

Power, hp = Workdone in kg-m per S / 75 = 80 kg * (80,000/3600 m/s) / 75 = 23.70 hp

Also,
Power = (2*Pi*N*T) / 75
Torque, T = (Power *75) / (2 * Pi * N)

N (rps) = Linear Velocity / (Pi * Diameter) = (80,000/3600 m/s)/ (Pi * 0.26 m) = 27.19 rps

Torque, T = (23.70 hp * 75) / (2 *3.143 *27.19 rps) = 10.40 kg-m

A N Madhavan

Do we need to keep adding to this thread? The OP hasn't replied since over four months ago.

I just wanted to brush-up my basics, so responded and probably it would help someone.

A N Madhavan said:
Power, hp = Workdone in kg-m per S / 75 = 80 kg * (80,000/3600 m/s) / 75 = 23.70 hp

This is not right.
Power = force*velocity
We don't know the force required to maintain the constant 80km/hr, as mentioned in post #8 so we cannot calculate power.

B
billy_joule said:
This is not right.
Power = force*velocity
We don't know the force required to maintain the constant 80km/hr, as mentioned in post #8 so we cannot calculate power.
Both are same.
Force (kg) * Velocity (m/s) = Work done per S in kg-m/s
75 kg-m/s = 1 hp
The work done to move 80 kg at (80,000/3600 m/S) is 80 * 22.22 kg-m/s => 1777.77 kg-m/s => 23.70 hp

Force is not measured in kg.
We don't know the force, the object is moving horizontally (post #1 implied this).
Your approach would apply if the weight was being lifted vertically.

That is true.

What is torque and power?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force of an electric motor. It is the product of the motor's force and the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which the motor can do work or produce energy.

How do torque and power affect the performance of an electric motor?

The torque and power of an electric motor are important factors in determining its performance. A higher torque allows the motor to exert more force and accelerate faster, while a higher power means the motor can sustain that force for longer periods of time. Both torque and power also contribute to the overall efficiency and speed of the motor.

How are torque and power related in an electric motor?

Torque and power are directly related in an electric motor. This means that as torque increases, power also increases. However, the rate at which power increases may vary depending on the motor's design and efficiency.

What is the difference between rated torque and maximum torque?

Rated torque is the amount of torque that a motor can continuously produce without overheating. On the other hand, maximum torque is the highest amount of torque that a motor can produce for a short period of time before overheating. It is important to consider both when choosing an electric motor for a specific application.

How can torque and power be controlled in an electric motor?

Torque and power can be controlled in an electric motor through various means, such as adjusting the motor's voltage, current, and frequency. Additionally, using gears or pulleys can also help control the torque and power output of a motor. The motor's design and construction also play a significant role in determining its torque and power capabilities.