Torque due to static friction on a rolling object

Therefore, the acceleration of the disc can be found by dividing the torque due to gravity by the moment of inertia.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of a rolling disk down an incline plane in terms of its moment of inertia. The dilemma arises when calculating the torque, as two of the three forces have no torque while the third, gravity, does. The discussion also mentions the relationship between the forces and the incline angle, as well as the concept of slipping versus rolling without slipping. Ultimately, it is determined that the acceleration can be found by dividing the torque due to gravity by the moment of inertia.
member 392791
I'm looking over my notes here, we have a rolling disk down an incline plane and my goal is to find its acceleration in terms of its moment of inertia

My dilemma is, when finding the torque, I look at all 3 of the forces influencing it (normal, gravity, and the f_s). The n goes through the instantaneous axis of revolution so its torque on the disk is 0, I can see the gravity's torque is mgsinθ, but I don't see why the f_s has 0 torque, even though it is perpendicular to the instantaneous axis of revolution.

Is the reason that the F_s force goes through the axis, therefore its torque on the object is 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the disc starts turning as it rolls down the inclined plane, there has to be torque. In order to get torque, the disc has to accelerate down the ramp.

The force pressing the disc against the incline is mg cos(θ), which gets smaller as the incline gets steeper. The force pushing the centroid of disc down the incline plane is mg sin(θ) which gets larger as the incline gets steeper. There is an angle at which the disc starts to slip rather than roll without slipping.

I'm not sure if that is what I was looking for??

Woopydalan said:
Is the reason that the F_s force goes through the axis, therefore its torque on the object is 0?

Yes, any force through a point has no moment about that point. The only one of the three forces with a moment about the point of contact is gravity.

Yes, that is correct. The reason the static friction force has zero torque on the object is because it passes through the axis of rotation. In other words, the force does not create a moment arm, or distance, from the axis of rotation, which is necessary for torque to be generated. This is why the normal force and gravity can create torque, but the static friction force cannot. Keep in mind that torque is a measure of the force's ability to rotate an object, and if the force does not create a lever arm, it cannot create rotation. So in this case, the torque on the object is only due to the normal force and gravity, and not the static friction force.

Related to Torque due to static friction on a rolling object

1. What is torque due to static friction on a rolling object?

Torque due to static friction on a rolling object is the rotational force that is created when an object rolls on a surface and is in contact with that surface through static friction.

2. How is torque due to static friction calculated?

To calculate torque due to static friction, you must multiply the coefficient of static friction (μ) by the normal force (N) and the radius (r) of the object. The formula is: torque = μ * N * r.

3. What factors affect the torque due to static friction on a rolling object?

The factors that affect torque due to static friction on a rolling object include the coefficient of static friction, the normal force, and the radius of the object. Additionally, the surface roughness and the speed at which the object is rolling can also affect the torque.

4. How does the direction of torque due to static friction affect the motion of a rolling object?

The direction of torque due to static friction determines the direction of the rotational motion of the rolling object. If the direction of torque is in the same direction as the rotation, it will cause the object to roll smoothly. However, if the direction of torque is opposite to the rotation, it can cause the object to skid or slip.

5. Can torque due to static friction ever be greater than the applied force?

No, torque due to static friction cannot be greater than the applied force. This is because static friction can only generate as much torque as is required to prevent the object from slipping or skidding. If the applied force exceeds the maximum possible static friction, the object will start to slide instead of roll.