Why Does the Moment of Inertia Change in Torque-Free Rotation?

In summary, the conversation discusses torque free rotation and the change of moment of inertia in different frames of reference. There is a question about why the moment of inertia changes from the lab frame of reference, and the answer is that it is related to the angular velocity and precession. The importance of being specific about frames is also emphasized.
fog37
Torque Free Rotation...again...

Hello Forum,

I have read an old, but good, thread about torque free rotation:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=405781

I am still unclear on how, from the inertial (lab) frame of reference, the moment of inertia I, which is a tensor with 9 components, changes with time t...

A rigid body moving in the air changes its coordinates relative to the origin of a fixed lab frame of reference. Why would the moment of inertia change too?

Torque free means zero net torque acting on the rigid body. But torque is a quantity that depends on the choice of the pole about which torque is calculate: from the lab frame, the choice of different poles will lead to different numerical values for the torque, correct?

It is possible to diagonalize the moment of inertia and find the 3 principal directions. If the moment of inertia has components that are not constants but instead depend on position (x,y,z), we will find a different triad of principal axes for each different point P since there is a different inertia tensor for each different point P, correct?

thanks,
fog73

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
It's related to this:

As for the math details - why not try it and see?
Pick an example.

I have a bunch of notes somewhere ... oh here it is:
http://home.comcast.net/~szemengtan/ClassicalMechanics/SystemsAndRigidBodies.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Simon.

I guess from the fixed lab frame of reference, the moment of inertia does change while it does not change from body frame of reference.

From the lab reference frame angular momentum is constant while the angular velocity ω precesses and the moment of inertia I changes with time...

Thanks!

Fog37

Note: The body frame is not inertial.

Being careful to be specific about frames is the way to make progress here - you'll see Sze Tan does this in the lecture notes.

Hello fog73,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. You are correct in saying that the moment of inertia is a tensor with 9 components and that it can change with time. This is because the moment of inertia depends not only on the mass distribution of the rigid body, but also on its orientation and position in space.

In the case of torque-free rotation, the net torque acting on the body is zero, but this does not mean that there are no individual torques acting on different points of the body. As you mentioned, the choice of pole about which torque is calculated can affect the numerical value of the torque. However, the net torque will always be zero as long as the body is rotating without any external forces.

Regarding your question about the moment of inertia changing with position, this is also true. As the body moves in space, its position and orientation change, leading to a change in the moment of inertia. This is why it is important to consider the moment of inertia as a function of both time and position.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of torque-free rotation and the role of the moment of inertia. Keep exploring and asking questions! Science is all about curiosity and seeking understanding.

What is torque-free rotation?

Torque-free rotation is the motion of an object or system without any external torque acting on it. This means that the object will maintain a constant angular velocity and direction of rotation.

How is torque-free rotation different from regular rotation?

In regular rotation, there may be external torques acting on the object, causing changes in its angular velocity and direction. Torque-free rotation, on the other hand, is when there are no external torques acting on the object, resulting in a constant angular velocity and direction.

What are some examples of torque-free rotation?

An example of torque-free rotation is the motion of the Earth around the Sun. The gravitational forces between the two objects result in a constant angular velocity and direction of the Earth's orbit.

Another example is the motion of a spinning top, as long as it is not affected by any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

How is torque-free rotation related to conservation of angular momentum?

In torque-free rotation, the total angular momentum of the object or system remains constant. This is because, in the absence of external torques, the net torque acting on the object is zero, and therefore the angular momentum is conserved.

Can torque-free rotation occur on a non-rigid body?

Yes, torque-free rotation can occur on a non-rigid body as long as the net torque acting on the body is zero. This means that even if the body is deformed or changes shape, as long as there are no external torques, the motion will still be torque-free.