Torque & Joules: Fact or Fiction?

In summary: I have no idea about rotational mechanics, linear...In summary, the unit of magnetic dipole moments is calculated by Joule/B, meaning that torque is measured in joules. However, this usage is not recommended, as torque and energy have different definitions, even though they share the same units. Torque is typically measured in N-m, while energy is measured in joules. The equivalent of "distance" in angular motion is angular displacement or radians. Torque can be measured in joules but it is considered misleading to do so because torque does not require two forces, unlike energy. In the case of a rotating coil, it is affected by a torque when two equal forces act on it in opposite directions but have different lines of
Entanglement
Wikipedia says that the unit of magnetic dipole moments is calculated by Joule/B that means that the torque is measured by joules
I really doubt that, it seems non sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
ElmorshedyDr said:
Wikipedia says that the unit of magnetic dipole moments is calculated by Joule/B that means that the torque is measured by joules
Torque has units of Force*distance. Usually expressed as N-m, but equivalent to Joules though I do not recommend that usage. (Usually Joule is reserved for energy, not torque!)

Doc Al said:
But equivalent to Joules though!
How is that ?

Energy equals the product of the force and the displacement along which the force is done

And the torque is the product of the force and displacement between the two forces, the concept of displacement isn't the same in both cases

Last edited:
ElmorshedyDr said:
How is that ?
1 N-m = 1 J

ElmorshedyDr said:
Energy equals the product of force and the displacement

And torque is product of force and displacement between the two forces the " d " isn't the same in both cases
We are talking about units, not about the definitions of torque and energy. (That's why energy is Joules while torque is in N-m, despite the fact the units are equivalent.)

The units are are the same but their definitions are different

ElmorshedyDr said:
The units are are the same but their definitions are different
Right. (For example, one is a vector while the other is a scalar.)

But I think that it's totally wrong to say that torque is measured by joules not just "unrecommended"

Thanks jersey :smile:

jersey?

ElmorshedyDr said:
I'm not seeing that (I'm seeing n-m), can you link and quote it please.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1398188452.967609.jpg

However, how is work done by a torque calculated ??

I know that work is calculated by f.d
I'm unable to apply that on non linear motion

What is the equivalent of "distance" if something rotates instead of moving along a line?

jtbell said:
What is the equivalent of "distance" if something rotates instead of moving along a line?

Angular displacement i.e. Radians

[itex]KE_{angular} = \frac{1}{2}I\omega ^2[/itex]

Last edited:
ElmorshedyDr said:
However, how is work done by a torque calculated ??

I know that work is calculated by f.d
I'm unable to apply that on non linear motion

Linear motion:
##W = \int_{a}^{b}\vec{F} (dot)d\vec{r}##
Angular motion:
##W = \int_{a}^{b}\vec{T}(dot)d\vec{\theta}##

Last edited:
Oh wait, you were leading them on... @jtBell consider them edited

Torque.theta ??

Theta is radian ?

Can you tell me the proof of that law??

jtbell said:
Shouldn't it be radian.radius ??

ElmorshedyDr said:
Torque.theta ??

Theta is radian ?

Can you tell me the proof of that law??

Convert the linear work done by a tangential force along the circumference to torque the force produces around the center and angle the point of attack travels.

This point was raised as a short question in an A level physics paper of years ago:

Torque can be measured in Joules but it is usually considered misleading to do so. Explain why? (I don't remember the exact wording)

Dadface said:
This point was raised as a short question in an A level physics paper of years ago:
Torque can be measured in Joules but it is usually considered misleading to do so. Explain why? (I don't remember the exact wording)
Because the definition of d is different in case of torque and energy

Torque = f.d
Where d is the displacement between the two forces

Energy = f.d
Where d is the displacement along which the force is done

ElmorshedyDr said:
Torque = f.d
Where d is the displacement between the two forces
Torque doesn't require two forces.

A.T. said:
Torque doesn't require two forces.
Even if it is a rotating coil ??

ElmorshedyDr said:
Even if it is a rotating coil ??
There is only one force in the definition of torque. So what "two forces" are you taking about?

A.T. said:
There is only one force in the definition of torque. So what "two forces" are you taking about?
I only studied torque in electromagnetism, what I know about is that when two equal forces opposite in direction and have different line of actions act on a coil, it's affected by a torque.

ElmorshedyDr said:
I only studied torque in electromagnetism, what I know about is that when two equal forces opposite in direction and have different line of actions act on a coil, it's affected by a torque.
Haven't you studied this?

adjacent said:
Haven't you studied this?
No, I didn't study Torque in a mechanics class, it was a physics class and specifically in electromagnetism.

ElmorshedyDr said:
You are thinking of a couple, where two forces are used to create a torque without producing a net force. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couple_(mechanics)