Torque required to rotate a hollow cylinder containing chips

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a prototype for removing cutting oil from waste metal chips during Gun Drilling. The prototype includes a netted metal cylinder rotating horizontally with the help of a shaft and pressurized air blown from above. The only available data is the weight of metal chips to be used. The speaker requests help with calculating the required torque, shaft diameter, and RPM, as well as a rough drawing of the arrangement. A PDF of the prototype design is provided. The purpose of the pressurized air is to blow the oil off the chips, and it is suggested that a strong air flow from underneath and at an angle opposite to the direction of rotation would be more effective. The conversation also mentions the benefits of supporting
Sandeep Swarup
I am designing a prototype to remove cutting oil from waste metal chip during Gun Drilling.
My prototype consists of a netted(meshed) metal cylinder rotating horizontally about its axis with help of shaft and a pressurised air blown from above. The metal chips will be put inside netted cylinder which will rotate with help of shaft through motor and oil wil drip down.

The only data I have is amount of metal chip that I will insert in hollow netted cylinder I.e 5kgs
How shall I proceed with calculation to find out required torque, shaft diameter,RPM

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you provide a rough drawing of the arrangement?

AZFIREBALL said:
AZFIREBALL said:

Attachments

• Document1.pdf
    167.7 KB · Views: 330
PDF uploaded is the DESIGN of the prototype

Attachments

• Document1.pdf
    167.7 KB · Views: 301
What does the pressurized air do again?
Quite a good blast would be needed to blow the oil off the chips if that is the intent.

Don’t know how much torque you’ll need, but I can tell you that the requirement will be significantly reduced by supporting the central rod at its free end. This would also reduce wear on the motor.

Also, since a lot of the resistance to rotation will come from the oily metal chips sticking together and trying to ride up the side of the mesh, having your air flow come up from underneath, at an angle opposite to the direction of rotation, will also help reduce rolling resistance, while drying the chips more quickly. It would tend to break up the clumps and expose more surface area.

1. What is torque and how is it related to rotation?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. In other words, torque is the rotational equivalent of force.

2. Why is torque required to rotate a hollow cylinder containing chips?

When a hollow cylinder containing chips is rotated, the chips inside experience a centrifugal force that pushes them towards the outer edge of the cylinder. This force creates a resistance to the rotation, known as torque, which must be overcome in order to rotate the cylinder.

3. How is the torque required to rotate a hollow cylinder containing chips calculated?

The torque required to rotate a hollow cylinder containing chips can be calculated using the formula: T = I x α, where T is the torque, I is the moment of inertia of the cylinder, and α is the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia depends on the mass and distribution of the chips within the cylinder, while the angular acceleration is determined by the force applied to rotate the cylinder.

4. What factors affect the torque required to rotate a hollow cylinder containing chips?

The torque required to rotate a hollow cylinder containing chips is influenced by several factors, including the mass and distribution of the chips within the cylinder, the force applied to rotate the cylinder, and the shape and size of the cylinder. Additionally, the type of material used for the cylinder and the surface it is rotating on can also affect the torque required.

5. How can the torque required to rotate a hollow cylinder containing chips be reduced?

The torque required to rotate a hollow cylinder containing chips can be reduced by decreasing the mass or changing the distribution of the chips within the cylinder. Additionally, using a more powerful motor or increasing the force applied to rotate the cylinder can also help to reduce the required torque. Improving the design of the cylinder, such as using a smaller or more aerodynamic shape, can also help to decrease the torque required.