How Do You Calculate Torque and Angle of Twist in a Bimetallic Torsion Bar?

• Thread starter wrw103
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torsion
In summary, to find the total torque for the bimetallic bar, you need to calculate the torque for each material separately and then add them together. For the total angle of twist, you need to consider the different materials and their respective polar moments of inertia.
wrw103

Homework Statement

A Bimetallic torsion bar consists of a steel core (Gs = 75 [GPa]) of diamter di = 25 [mm] around which is bonded a titanium sleeve Gt = 45 [GPa] of inner diameter di = 25 [mm] and outer diameter do = 40 [mm].

a) If the maximum sher stress in the steel is 50 [Mpa], what is the total torque, T, applied to the bimetallic bar? Ans. T = 664.5 [N*m]

b) What is the total angle of twist of the composite bar if it is 2 [m] long? Ans. phi = 6.108 [degrees]

Homework Equations

tau = T*r/Ip -> tau = shear stress, T = torque, r = radius, Ip = Polar Moment of Inertia

phi = T*L/G*Ip -> T = torque, L = Length of bar, G = shear modulus, Ip = Polar Moment of Inertia

The Attempt at a Solution

To determine the Torque, I tried using the first equation, using the moment of inertia of the whole rod, and solving for T.

T = tau*Ip/r -> (50*10^6*pi*(0.040)^4/32)(0.25/2) = 1005 [Nm]

This is the wrong answer. I've tried other things as well, but I don't know why any of them do not work. I've tried using the moment of inertia of the the steel core and the moment of inertia of only the titanium, but they all produce incorrect results. Am I approaching the problem from the right angle?

For the second part, I want to use the second equation, but I don't know how to account for the different shear moduli.

Can i solve it for the torque and write out an expression for each part of the rod and then equate the two and solve for phi

T= (phi*Gs*Ips)/Ls=(phi*Gt*Ipt)/Lt -> phi = Gt*Ipt-Gs*Ips

Is that a correct approach?

Thanks for all the help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations, but there are a few things to consider in order to get the correct answers.

For part a), you are correct in using the first equation, but you have to consider the different materials and their respective radii. The steel core and titanium sleeve have different shear stresses, so you have to calculate the torque for each material separately and then add them together to get the total torque. Remember to use the correct radius for each material as well.

For part b), your approach is correct, but again, you have to consider the different materials and their polar moments of inertia. You can calculate the total polar moment of inertia by adding the individual polar moments of inertia of the steel core and titanium sleeve, taking into account their respective lengths. Then, you can use the second equation to solve for the angle of twist.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is torsion on a bimetallic bar?

Torsion on a bimetallic bar is a physical phenomenon that occurs when a bar made of two different materials, typically metals, is subjected to a twisting force. This results in a twisting or warping of the bar due to the different thermal expansion coefficients of the two materials.

2. How does torsion on a bimetallic bar affect its shape?

Torsion on a bimetallic bar can cause the bar to twist or bend in a curved shape. This is due to the unequal expansion and contraction of the two materials in response to changes in temperature.

3. What causes torsion on a bimetallic bar?

Torsion on a bimetallic bar is caused by the difference in thermal expansion coefficients of the two materials. When the bar is exposed to heat, the material with the higher coefficient will expand more than the material with the lower coefficient, causing the bar to twist.

4. How is torsion on a bimetallic bar measured?

Torsion on a bimetallic bar can be measured using a torsion testing machine, which applies a twisting force to the bar and measures the resulting angle of twist. This angle can then be used to calculate the torsional stress and strain on the bar.

5. What are the practical applications of studying torsion on a bimetallic bar?

Studying torsion on a bimetallic bar can have practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, construction, and materials science. It can help in designing more durable structures and materials that can withstand temperature changes, and it can also be used in the development of sensitive measuring instruments.