"Total" destructive interference of plane waves

In summary, when using a Michelson interferometer to study interference patterns of light with plane waves, setting the two beams with a phase difference of π will result in destructive interference and no observable interference pattern. This may seem like the energy is disappearing, but it is actually being conserved and redistributed throughout the system. The concept of a perfect plane wave is an abstraction used to simplify problems, and in reality, fringes may still be present due to imperfections in the setup. The paper "Does Destructive Interference Destroy Energy" by Kirk T. McDonald further explores this topic.
angrystudent
Hello.

Let's suppose that we have a Michelson interferometer to study interference patterns of light. This time we use plane waves.

If we set the whole thing up so that the two separated beams have a phase difference of π when they superpose, destructive interference ensues. Since we're talking about plane waves propagating in the same direction, no interference pattern can be observed: the only output is darkness.

Where does the energy go in such a case?. It looks like electromagnetic energy disappears in the process, but I see no way it could be absorbed or deflected, instead of simply being "destroyed".

Science news on Phys.org
You cannot have a beam that is a plane wave. A beam is limited to a small region, a plane wave is not. They are mutually contradictory descriptions. Which one do you want to discuss?

Both of those cases sound interesting to me, I didn't even realize that such a distinction could be relevant here.

The only way you could contemplate having total destructive interference from two sources in all directions is to have the emitting sources in exactly the same location, dissipating their output power between themselves. At least that answers the question about where the wasted Power would actually be going. IMO, that's better than just saying it can't be done.
I'd bet that the equivalent to this has been observed in RF transmitter systems when virtually nothing has been radiated from the antenna but two transmitters have been getting very hot.

Likes Dale
A perfect plane wave will propagate as a plane wave throughout the entire universe, i.e. infinitely wide. 2 perfect plane waves out of phase (and going in the same direction, of course) will be out of phase everywhere and destructively interfere everywhere. So, IMO there will be no radiation at all, anywhere in this case.
Also, BTW, there is no such thing as a perfect plane wave, it is a useful abstraction used to simplify problems.
In your example, it's really ok that the waves destructively interfere when the interferometer arms are certain lengths. The point of the interferometer is to look at how the beam interference changes when the lengths change. If you zoom in on a point on the detector (i.e. plane wave approximation), sometimes it's dark, sometimes it's light. You don't need (or even want) fringes, they are the consequence of the difficulty of building a perfect interferometer with a perfect light source.

angrystudent said:
Both of those cases sound interesting to me, I didn't even realize that such a distinction could be relevant here.
So for a beam you will have regions of destructive interference and regions of constructive interference. So it is fairly easy to see that the overall energy is conserved, it is just moved around a bit.

For a plane wave to get perfectly destructive interference everywhere means that you have no energy anywhere. So zero everywhere means no energy which is clearly conserved.

Likes CWatters

1. What is total destructive interference of plane waves?

Total destructive interference of plane waves is a phenomenon that occurs when two waves with equal amplitudes and opposite phases are superimposed on each other. This causes the waves to cancel each other out and result in no net displacement at that point.

2. How does total destructive interference happen?

Total destructive interference happens when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude are traveling in opposite directions. As they meet, they create a region of no displacement, known as a node, due to the cancellation of the two waves.

3. What is the significance of total destructive interference in science?

Total destructive interference is important in various fields of science, such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetics. It can be used to create patterns of light and sound, cancel unwanted noise, and study the behavior of waves in different mediums.

4. Can total destructive interference be observed in real-life situations?

Yes, total destructive interference can be observed in various real-life situations. For example, when two identical speakers are placed facing each other and playing the same sound, a point in between them will experience total destructive interference and result in no sound being heard at that point.

5. How is total destructive interference different from partial destructive interference?

Total destructive interference results in complete cancellation of the waves, while partial destructive interference only results in a decrease in amplitude. In partial destructive interference, the waves do not completely cancel each other out, and there is still some net displacement at that point.