What is Destructive Interference?

In summary: It's just a convenient way to represent a particular form of energy. So while zero amplitude does not have any energy, it can still exist as an abstraction.
Quarker said:
Does anyone have an image of a good interference pattern they can post? I can’t do it with my phone.
Perhaps reading around would help you get what we're all telling you. There are images all over the place so do some work at it.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
You have one in post #2. Posting picture will not change anything, we've seen it hundreds of times.

Likes vanhees71 and sophiecentaur
Quarker said:
Does anyone have an image of a good interference pattern they can post? I can’t do it with my phone.
How about the one posted by @Drakkith earlier

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-destructive-interference.1010346/post-6576711

maxresdefault-jpg.294324

sophiecentaur said:
not necessarily; every experiment has imperfections but that is not why the 'zeros' are not exactly zero.
What kind of imperfections exist within the dark zones of an interference pattern?

Quarker said:
What kind of imperfections exist within the dark zones of an interference pattern?
There are many, but the ones that we expect to see in a practical double-slit experiment (by far the easiest way of generating an interference pattern with light - Thomas Young did it more than two centuries ago) will be caused by:
1) Our light is source is not perfectly monochromatic.
2) The edges of the slits are not exactly perfectly straight and the width of the slits will vary slightly across their length.
3) The surface of the screen we're projecting the pattern onto will not be perfectly flat; as you can see from the photo @Drakkith posted in post #2 a bump just one wavelength high will move that point on teh screen from a region of constructive interference to destructive, or vice versa.

Nonetheless, with reasonable care we can get a near-perfect interference pattern: for example https://physics.montana.edu/demonstrations/apparatus/6_optics/demos/doubleslitandlaser.html

Likes vanhees71
Quarker said:
Have you read anywhere about interference of waves? I have a strong suspicion that you are trying to rely on asking PF questions and reacting to our answers. I can tell you with certainty that it is pointless to rely on Q and A to learn any subject. You have to read what has been actually written about the topic. Wiki always has stuff to say that's useful. As you read it, you need to answer your own questions from what you find in the text.
Answer this question:
Totally destructive interference will only work when there is total cancellation. Under what circumstances will two numbers, added together, produce zero? Then what is needed for two Fields to cancel each other out?

Likes vanhees71
If you take a sinusoidal
Quarker said:
It is really not about any experimental imperfections. Even with perfect waves from perfect sources the derivatives are non-zero in the zone of complete destructive interference.

Specifically, if you have two opposed-phase coherent sinusoidal point sources separated in the x direction then the plane between those two sources has complete destructive interference. The value of the field is zero, but the value of the x-derivative is not.

Worth noting that where the EM field is zero, I do not think that the potential is zero - or not necessarily. I think this is analogous to the nodes in a standing wave on a string being subject to a time varying stress.

Likes sophiecentaur
It might interest the OP that by using a beamsplitter, such as in a Michelson interferometer, you can begin with two plane waves incident on the beamsplitter at right angles to each other, and the result can be all of the energy emerging in one direction or the other, depending on the relative phases. In this case, an entire region has destructive interference, and the other region is constructive.

Likes vanhees71
Charles Link said:
It might interest the OP that by using a beamsplitter, such as in a Michelson interferometer, you can begin with two plane waves incident on the beamsplitter at right angles to each other, and the result can be all of the energy emerging in one direction or the other, depending on the relative phases. In this case, an entire region has destructive interference, and the other region is constructive.
Another great example* but the OP's problem goes far deeper than that. He appears to see a conflict between two aspects of waves and is doggedly avoiding a resolution.

*A simpler example of the same thing is two RF dipoles with appropriate spacing and phasing. Anyone could buy simple gear to achieve that out in the garden. M and M's experiment is a bit harder to implement.

Likes Charles Link and vanhees71
Quarker said:
Although very pretty, an image of waves on a pond is hardly analogous to an electromagnetic interference pattern.
You didn't ask for an electromagnetic interference pattern. You asked only for "a good interference pattern".

Regardless, the plain fact remains that the first derivative of the waves are non-zero in the region of complete destructive interference. So there is no sense that "the EM has momentarily left our universe" at those points.

Quarker said:
Although very pretty, an image of waves on a pond is hardly analogous to an electromagnetic interference pattern.
You are simply incorrect. And what's worse, you are willfully incorrect.

@Dale requesting that this thread be locked as the OP obviously has no desire to learn anything new.

Likes vanhees71 and weirdoguy
Drakkith said:
@Dale requesting that this thread be locked as the OP obviously has no desire to learn anything new
Request granted

Likes vanhees71, sophiecentaur, berkeman and 1 other person