Total distance a car moves with two coefficients of friction?

In summary, the car slides a total distance of 22.5 meters before coming to a stop, with the first 4 meters having a friction coefficient of 0.35 and the remaining distance having a coefficient of 0.2. This is calculated using the equations F=ma, F(f)=μN, Δχ=V0t + 1/2at2, Vf=V0 + at, and W=1/2mVF^2 - 1/2mV0^2. The total distance is found by adding the distance traveled with the second friction coefficient to the first 4 meters traveled.
juicyfruit
A 1000 kg car is moving at 10 m/s, the car applies the brakes and begins to skid and leave a mark. the first 4 m of the surface has a coefficient of 0.35 and after that the coefficient of friction is 0.2. What is the total distance the car will slide when coming to rest?

Equations: F=ma and F(f)=μN
Δχ=V0t + 1/2at2
Vf=V0 + at
W=Fxd
W=1/2mVF^2 - 1/2mV0^2

Since the car is going to rest, I'm going to assume the final velocity is 0. Since there are no other Y axis forces, I think you can assume N=mg so it equals 9800N. I tried using the F=ma of the x components and got -(9800*.35)+(9800+.2)=ma so the acceleration was -5.39 m/s^2 for the whole system. Plugged that into Vf=Vo+at to get 1.86 seconds and plugged both into the second equation to get 9.27m for ΔX.

That wasn't any of the possible answer choices, any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
juicyfruit said:
-(9800*.35)+(9800+.2)=ma

In this equation, what are the forces on the left side? Does this equation match the problem statement? (I assume you meant to write -(9800*.35)+(9800*.2)=ma instead of the +).

By the way, I recommend to derive the final expression of your solution before putting the numbers in. That way, it is easier to find your mistake.

So I took another shot at it, different approach, please correct me if I'm wrong. So since work is the change in potential energy, I think you can assume W=1/2mv^2. So W=sum of F*d in the system and I'm assuming the only forces are the frictional force since there's no external force pushing the car.

So Ff=9800(.35)(4)+9800(.2)d and that is equal to work
E=.5(1000)(10^2)
W=1/2mv0^2 since it comes to a stop? you can assume Vf=0 so you have just v0
1,960d+13,720=50,000
d=18.5m

If I made any wrong assumptions or any mistakes, please point them out. I appreciate any help or confirmations, thank you

juicyfruit said:
So I took another shot at it, different approach, please correct me if I'm wrong. So since work is the change in potential energy, I think you can assume W=1/2mv^2. So W=sum of F*d in the system and I'm assuming the only forces are the frictional force since there's no external force pushing the car.

So Ff=9800(.35)(4)+9800(.2)d and that is equal to work
E=.5(1000)(10^2)
W=1/2mv0^2 since it comes to a stop? you can assume Vf=0 so you have just v0
1,960d+13,720=50,000
d=18.5m

If I made any wrong assumptions or any mistakes, please point them out. I appreciate any help or confirmations, thank you
Your first method was wrong because forces and accelerations are different during each part of the slide. Your second approach is good but you calculated d for the 2nd part. Total stopping distance is ?

PhanthomJay said:
Your first method was wrong because forces and accelerations are different during each part of the slide. Your second approach is good but you calculated d for the 2nd part. Total stopping distance is ?

Would it just be 18.5+4? You add the distances together? Then you'd get 22.5m but the answer choices I have are:

3.5 m
24.8 m
8 m
18.4 m

Which is why I thought it had to be 18.4 since that was close to my first answer. I know it asks for total, so either it's a mistake on my part or the instructors.

juicyfruit said:
Would it just be 18.5+4? You add the distances together? Then you'd get 22.5m but the answer choices I have are:

3.5 m
24.8 m
8 m
18.4 m

Which is why I thought it had to be 18.4 since that was close to my first answer. I know it asks for total, so either it's a mistake on my part or the instructors.
looks like an answer key error. Clearly from your calc the distance d is the distance traveled overt the surface with the 0.2 friction coefficient. You've for to add that value to the first 4 m traveled to get the total distance of the slide.

Related to Total distance a car moves with two coefficients of friction?

1. What is the total distance a car moves with two coefficients of friction?

The total distance a car moves with two coefficients of friction depends on several factors such as the weight of the car, the surface it is moving on, and the two coefficients of friction. It can be calculated using the formula: Total Distance = (Coefficient of Static Friction + Coefficient of Kinetic Friction) x Weight of the Car x Distance

2. How do the two coefficients of friction affect the total distance a car moves?

The two coefficients of friction, namely the coefficient of static friction and the coefficient of kinetic friction, play a crucial role in determining the total distance a car moves. The coefficient of static friction measures the force required to start an object moving, while the coefficient of kinetic friction measures the force needed to keep the object moving. A higher coefficient of friction means a greater resistance to motion, resulting in a shorter total distance traveled.

3. Can the total distance a car moves be decreased by changing the coefficients of friction?

Yes, the total distance a car moves can be decreased by changing the coefficients of friction. For example, if the surface the car is moving on has a high coefficient of friction, it will result in a shorter total distance traveled. Additionally, increasing the weight of the car or the distance it travels will also lead to a decrease in the total distance covered.

4. How can the total distance a car moves be increased?

The total distance a car moves can be increased by reducing the coefficients of friction or by increasing the force applied to the car. This can be achieved by using tires with better traction, using a smoother surface for the car to move on, or increasing the weight of the car. Additionally, reducing the distance the car travels will also result in a longer total distance covered.

5. Is the total distance a car moves affected by the speed at which it travels?

Yes, the speed at which a car travels can affect the total distance it moves. Generally, a car traveling at a higher speed will cover a greater distance than a car traveling at a slower speed, assuming all other factors remain constant. This is because the force of friction increases with speed, resulting in a shorter total distance traveled.