Total elongation of differently shaped "springs"

In summary, the author is working on a design for an in-plane optical MEMS accelerometer. The accelerometer will be used to measure external pressure. The author is trying to model the system as a whole, but is having difficulty finding an accurate equation. The author is considering modeling the system and using FEA.
Jesus Ibarra
Hello!

First of all, my field is not Mechanical Engineering but Nanotechnology so I apologize if I use very basic terms.

I am currently working on the design of an in-plane optical MEMS accelerometer. The idea is: a waveguide is built within the structure so that when the MEMS is accelerated due to external forces, there is elongation of the waveguide which leads to a phase change in the light signal with respect to a reference one. With this phase change one can measure the external pressure.

We will ignore the vertical direction and consider only an xy plane. The system consists of one mass held by four springs restricting movement only in one direction. I mean, there are two springs on one side and two on the opposite leaving two ends free. It is a symmetrical system and the springs act in parallel so one can model the system as one spring acting on the mass. With this approximation one can find the spring constant and displacement in the free direction. I am trying to model springs with different shapes (like "crab-legs" or "serpentine"). Spring constants even for these more complex systems can be found. My problem however, is that I also need the total elongation of the system of beams (that are being modeled as springs) which is the driving factor for phase change of the light that goes through the waveguide. I am kind of lost and I am not even sure how to search in literature (I have spent quite a lot of time doing research). Should consider each beam forming the spring completely separate and calculate elongations in both x and y directions for each one of them? How could I approach this problem? Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

The image that the link shows, is more or less a representation of the physical structure. However, in my design, there are two springs instead of one on the "fixed" sides.

Thank you all.

search

The image is not loading in my "preview" option. So here is the link in case it doesn't appear:

https://www.google.be/search?client...0k1j0i24k1.0.bqjiKO0cP_A#imgrc=QmAKKv4oYVrWOM:

Engineering news on Phys.org
With a system like yours, it is usually best to analyze the entire system as a system. With complex springs such as shown in the link, it can be difficult to find an accurate equation. You might be better off to model it and use FEA. A package like SolidWorks can model up a spring, then take that directly into integrated FEA. With a proper model, you can test 5 to 10 iterations per hour. One day, and you will have a complete design table. The learning curve will be about a week.

1. What is total elongation of a spring?

The total elongation of a spring refers to the change in length of the spring when a force is applied to it. It is the sum of the elastic deformation and the plastic deformation of the spring.

2. Does the shape of a spring affect its total elongation?

Yes, the shape of a spring can affect its total elongation. Different shapes have different distribution of stress and can result in varying amounts of deformation when a force is applied.

3. How does the material of a spring impact its total elongation?

The material of a spring plays a significant role in its total elongation. Different materials have different elastic properties, which can affect the amount of deformation the spring undergoes when a force is applied.

4. Can the total elongation of a spring be calculated?

Yes, the total elongation of a spring can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the material, shape, and applied force. However, there may be variations in the actual elongation due to factors such as imperfections in the material or manufacturing process.

5. How can the total elongation of a spring be measured?

The total elongation of a spring can be measured using specialized equipment such as strain gauges or extensometers. These devices can accurately measure the change in length of the spring when a force is applied.