Total internal reflection: Question on angle of reflection.

In summary: However, as the angle of incidence approaches the critical angle, total internal reflection (TIR) occurs and the two beams recombine. At the critical angle, the angle of refraction is equal to the angle of incidence. Anything further from the critical angle and TIR will not occur. This results in a "blind spot" where the observer cannot see anything other than the original beam.
ssd

Homework Statement

Suppose light from is moving from water to air. The critical angle be θ i.e. for angle of incidence θ, the angle of refraction is 90°. Refractive index of water wrt air be μ.
Suppose the angle of incidence (i) is increased by 1° to θ+1. What happens to the refracted/reflected ray. The angle of refraction (r) would be (?) given by sin r= μ*sin(θ+1). That is if μ =1.33, then θ≈49° say. Then for i= 50°, sin r>1... not solvable by Snail's law.
Due to total internal reflection, r = 90+ (90-50)= 130°.

My confusion is, if i is increased from θ by a small amount, will not r also be increased from 90° by a small amount? But due to total internal reflection r is increased by a big amount like 40° !

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not a student. This question is asked by my daughter who is 14 yr old. And I am confused. Please suggest the solution . Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ssd said:

Homework Statement

Suppose light from is moving from water to air. The critical angle be θ i.e. for angle of incidence θ, the angle of refraction is 90°. Refractive index of water wrt air be μ.
Suppose the angle of incidence (i) is increased by 1° to θ+1. What happens to the refracted/reflected ray. The angle of refraction (r) would be (?) given by sin r= μ*sin(θ+1). That is if μ =1.33, then θ≈49° say. Then for i= 50°, sin r>1... not solvable by Snail's law.
Due to total internal reflection, r = 90+ (90-50)= 130°.

My confusion is, if i is increased from θ by a small amount, will not r also be increased from 90° by a small amount? But due to total internal reflection r is increased by a big amount like 40° !

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not a student. This question is asked by my daughter who is 14 yr old. And I am confused. Please suggest the solution . Thanks.

No matter how much you increment the angle of incidence from critical angle, total internal reflection will take place if light ray is going from denser to rarer medium. Hence laws of reflection comes into play and Snell's law fails.

I haven't followed your description but perhaps see youtube demo..

Yes. At the critical angle a small change in the input angle results in big change in the angle of the emerging ray.

In some situations (combinations of object and observer) this results in a "blind spot".

(Edited for typos).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
This one shows it slightly more clearly..

Note that close to the critical angle you can get both refraction and reflection. The input beam is split.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can provide an explanation for your confusion. When light travels from a medium with a higher refractive index (such as water) to a medium with a lower refractive index (such as air), the angle of refraction (r) will always be greater than the angle of incidence (i), according to Snell's law. This means that when the angle of incidence (i) is increased by a small amount, the angle of refraction (r) will also increase by a small amount.

However, when the angle of incidence (i) approaches the critical angle (θ), something interesting happens. As you correctly stated, when the angle of incidence (i) is equal to the critical angle (θ), the angle of refraction (r) becomes 90°. This means that the refracted ray is parallel to the interface between the two mediums.

Now, if we continue to increase the angle of incidence (i) even by a small amount, the angle of refraction (r) will become greater than 90°. This is where total internal reflection occurs. The light is no longer able to pass through the interface between the two mediums and is instead reflected back into the original medium at an angle of reflection (r').

So, to answer your question, when the angle of incidence (i) is increased by a small amount, the angle of refraction (r) will also increase by a small amount until it reaches the critical angle (θ). At this point, the angle of refraction (r) will become 90° and any further increase in the angle of incidence (i) will result in a large increase in the angle of reflection (r'), due to total internal reflection.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of total internal reflection for your daughter. If she has any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray traveling through a denser medium encounters a boundary with a less dense medium at an angle of incidence greater than the critical angle. In this situation, instead of being refracted, the light ray is reflected back into the denser medium, resulting in all of the light being contained within the denser medium.

2. How is the critical angle related to total internal reflection?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which total internal reflection occurs. If the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, total internal reflection will take place. If the angle of incidence is less than the critical angle, the light will be refracted into the less dense medium.

3. How does the angle of reflection change in total internal reflection?

In total internal reflection, the angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence. This means that the reflected light ray will be parallel to the incident light ray, resulting in a "mirror-like" effect.

4. What are some real-life applications of total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection has many practical applications, including in fiber optic communication, where it allows for the efficient transmission of light signals over long distances. It is also used in the design of mirrors and prisms, as well as in devices such as binoculars and periscopes.

5. Can total internal reflection occur in all materials?

No, total internal reflection can only occur in materials with a higher refractive index than the surrounding medium. For example, it can occur in glass or water, but not in air. This is because the critical angle is dependent on the difference in refractive index between the two materials.