Total multiplicity is product of individual multiplicities?

In summary, the example given in Schroeder's Thermal Physics illustrates how systems in equilibrium can be explained by considering independent systems. For instance, two 3-harmonic oscillators with a total of 6 units of energy can have a total multiplicity of 100 when each oscillator has 10 possible microstates. This is due to statistical independence, where the multiplicity of the pair is the product of the individual multiplicities. This concept is generally referred to as statistical independence and can be expressed mathematically using probabilities and multiplicities.
mishima
Hi, I was looking for a proof or explanation of this. From Schroeder's Thermal Physics, pg 56, explaining interacting systems in equilibrium.

The example in the text is two 3-harmonic oscillators with a total of 6 units of energy. So one macrostate is where each has 3 units of energy. The individual multiplicity of each is 10, but the total multiplicity is 100 when considered together (10*10).

The explanation is "because the systems are independent of each other." I know there is something from introductory combinatorics which explains this (which is why he went no further), but I myself don't know.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
For each microstate of the first oscillator, there are 10 microstates of the other oscillator, so there are 10 microstates of the oscillator-pair given that the first one is in a particular microstate.

Since there are 10 pair microstates for each microstate of the first oscillator, and there are 10 microstates of the first oscillator, there are 100 total microstates for the pair.

Yes, if the system are independent the total multiplicity is the product of the individual multiplicity. Example: one die has 6 possible states [1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6] and two dice have 6X6=36 states [(1,1); (1,2); (1,3); (1,4); (1,5); (1,6); (2,1); (2,2); (2,3); (2,4); (2,5); (2,6); (3,1); (3,2); (3,3); (3,4); (3,5); (3,6); (4,1); (4,2); (4,3); (4,4); (4,5); (4,6); (5,1); (5,2); (5,3); (5,4); (5,5); (5,6); (6,1); (6,2); (6,3); (6,4); (6,5); (6,6)].

Hi, that makes sense. Is there a name for this rule?

It's generally referred to as statistical independence. If two systems together have a specific probability distribution [itex]P(X_{i},Y_{j})[/itex]for each being in given microstates [itex]X_{i} [/itex]and [itex]Y_{j}[/itex] respectively, and these two systems are statistically independent of one another, then the probabilities will factor out.
[itex]P(X_{i},Y_{j}) = P(X_{i})P(Y_{j})[/itex]

Where these probabilities are ratios of multiplicities:
[itex]P(X_{i})=\frac{\Omega(X_{i})}{\Omega_{total}}[/itex], [itex]P(Y_{j})=\frac{\Omega(Y_{j})}{\Omega_{total}}[/itex], [itex]P(X_{i},Y_{j})=\frac{\Omega(X_{i},Y_{j})}{\Omega_{total}}[/itex]
If the probabilities factor, than so do the multiplicities.

If [itex]P(X_{i},Y_{j}) = P(X_{i})P(Y_{j})[/itex]
then [itex]\Omega(X_{i},Y_{j}) = \Omega(X_{i})\Omega(Y_{j})[/itex]

1. What is total multiplicity?

Total multiplicity refers to the total number of ways in which a system can be arranged or configured, taking into account all of its different components or parts.

2. What is the product of individual multiplicities?

The product of individual multiplicities is the result of multiplying together the individual multiplicities of each component or part of a system.

3. How is total multiplicity related to individual multiplicities?

Total multiplicity is equal to the product of individual multiplicities because it takes into account all possible combinations or arrangements of the individual components or parts of a system.

4. Can total multiplicity be greater than the product of individual multiplicities?

No, total multiplicity cannot be greater than the product of individual multiplicities. This is because the total multiplicity takes into account all possible combinations and arrangements, so it cannot exceed the total number of individual multiplicities.

5. Why is the concept of total multiplicity important in science?

The concept of total multiplicity is important in science because it allows us to understand the different ways in which a system can be arranged or configured. This is crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology, where understanding the different arrangements of particles or molecules can help us explain and predict various phenomena and processes.