Total no. of positive integer ordered pairs (n,r)

In summary, the formula for calculating the total number of positive integer ordered pairs (n,r) is n*(n+1)/2. N represents the maximum value of the first integer in the ordered pair, while r represents the maximum value of the second integer in the ordered pair. This formula only applies when n and r are positive integers, and the total number of positive integer ordered pairs will increase as n increases while r remains fixed. The total number of positive integer ordered pairs can never be greater than the value of n, as r cannot be larger than n in the formula n*(n+1)/2.
juantheron
Calculation of Total no. of positive integer ordered pairs $(n,r)$ in $\displaystyle \binom{n}{r} = 120$

My Try:: Clearly $\displaystyle \binom{n}{r} = 120 \Rightarrow \binom{120}{1} = \binom{120}{119} = 120$

So $(n,r) = (120,1)\;\;,(120,119)$ are positive integer ordered pairs which satisfy the given equation.

Now we will calculate for other positive integer ordered pairs whether it is exists or not.

So $\displaystyle \binom{n}{r} = \frac{n!}{r! \cdot (n-r)!} = 2^3 \times 3 \times 5\Rightarrow \frac{n!}{r! .\cdot (n-r)! \cdot 5} = 2^3 \cdot 3$

So Largest prime factors of $120$ is $5$. So $\displaystyle n\geq 5$

Now for $r$. Here $ 1 \leq r < 119$ and $r \leq \frac{n}{2}$

So my Question is How can I calculate other positive ordered pairs.

So please help me

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
Calculation of Total no. of positive integer ordered pairs $(n,r)$ in $\displaystyle \binom{n}{r} = 120$

My Try:: Clearly $\displaystyle \binom{n}{r} = 120 \Rightarrow \binom{120}{1} = \binom{120}{119} = 120$

So $(n,r) = (120,1)\;\;,(120,119)$ are positive integer ordered pairs which satisfy the given equation.

Now we will calculate for other positive integer ordered pairs whether it is exists or not.

So $\displaystyle \binom{n}{r} = \frac{n!}{r! \cdot (n-r)!} = 2^3 \times 3 \times 5\Rightarrow \frac{n!}{r! .\cdot (n-r)! \cdot 5} = 2^3 \cdot 3$

So Largest prime factors of $120$ is $5$. So $\displaystyle n\geq 5$

Now for $r$. Here $ 1 \leq r < 119$ and $r \leq \frac{n}{2}$

So my Question is How can I calculate other positive ordered pairs.

So please help me

Thanks

Hi jacks! :)

Have you tried to simply enumerate them?
That is, build up Pascal's triangle until you can tell there won't be any matches any more?
You may find there are fewer matches than you might think...

\begin{matrix}
&&&1\\
&&1&&1\\
&1&&2&&1\\
1&&3&&3&&1 \\
&&&\dots
\end{matrix}

Thanks Moderator for Help.

But I did not understand it.

Using Guessing I have found $\displaystyle \binom{5}{1} = \binom{16}{2} = 120$

Would you like to explain me in Detail.

Thanks

jacks said:

Thanks

Hello Jacks,
(nCr) = product of r cosecuive numbers (n-r+1) to n/ r!

r =1 1 number = 120
r =2 , product of 2 consecutive numbers = 240 = 15 * 16 so n = 16 so (16c2)
n =3 product of 3 cosecutive numbers = 120* 6 = 720 ( 8 * 9 * 10 = 720)
so (10c3)
n =4. product of 4 cosecutive = 120 * 24 it can be seen if product esists so on

kaliprasad has given you a good method. I wanted to present it in a slightly different format. Begin with:

\(\displaystyle {n \choose r}=120\)

Using the definition of the binomial coefficient, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}=120\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{n!}{(n-r)!}=120r!\)

Now keep in mind the identity \(\displaystyle {n \choose r}={n \choose n-r}\), so that when you find an ordered pair solution, this will given you another. Now, let's take them case by case on $r$:

i) $r=1$

\(\displaystyle \frac{n!}{(n-1)!}=120\cdot1!\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{n(n-1)!}{(n-1)!}=120\cdot1\)

\(\displaystyle n=120\)

Hence, we have found: $(n,r)=(120,1),\,(120,119)$

ii) $r=2$

\(\displaystyle \frac{n!}{(n-2)!}=120\cdot2!\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)!}{(n-2)!}=120\cdot2\)

\(\displaystyle n(n-1)=240\)

\(\displaystyle (n-16)(n+15)=0\)

Discard the negative root, and we have: $(n,r)=(16,2),\,(16,14)$

Now proceed as long as $r$ is smaller than that which you have previously found. For example, the next $r$ is 3, and since this is smaller than 14, you want to continue.

jacks said:

Thanks

Pascal's Triangle gives all binomials.
At the top of the triangle, you have $\binom{0}{0}=1$.
The second row contains $\binom{1}{0}=1$ and $\binom{1}{1}=1$.
Each of the numbers is the sum of the two numbers above it.

Continue the triangle until you have found all occurrences of 120.

Related to Total no. of positive integer ordered pairs (n,r)

1. What is the formula for calculating the total number of positive integer ordered pairs (n,r)?

The formula for finding the total number of positive integer ordered pairs (n,r) is n*(n+1)/2.

2. How do I determine the value of n and r in the formula for total number of positive integer ordered pairs?

N represents the maximum value of the first integer in the ordered pair, while r represents the maximum value of the second integer in the ordered pair.

3. Can the total number of positive integer ordered pairs be calculated for negative values of n and r?

No, the formula for finding the total number of positive integer ordered pairs only applies when n and r are positive integers.

4. How does the total number of positive integer ordered pairs change if r is fixed and n varies?

If r is fixed and n varies, the total number of positive integer ordered pairs will increase as n increases. The formula n*(n+1)/2 will still apply, but the value of r will remain the same.

5. Can the total number of positive integer ordered pairs be greater than the value of n?

No, the total number of positive integer ordered pairs can never be greater than the value of n, as r cannot be larger than n in the formula n*(n+1)/2.