Total Time for Newton's Law of Gravitation

In summary, at time = 0, an object's radius is R+D. It takes t seconds for the object to travel from x=R+D to x=R.
Phys_Boi

Homework Statement

Find the total time, t, that an object takes to reach the surface of the Earth from a distance, D, using the Law of Gravitation: $$F_{g} = \frac{GMm}{x^2}$$

R is radius of Earth
D is distance from surface
R+D is total distance from center of masses

****** One Dimension ******

Homework Equations

F = ma
$$\frac{GMm}{x^2} = ma, a = \frac{GM}{x^2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\frac{a}{v} = \frac{dv}{dx}$$

$$a dx = v dv \frac{-GM}{x^{2}} dx = v dv$$

$$-GM\int_{R}^{R+D} \frac{1}{x^2} dx = \int_{0}^{v} v dv$$

$$v = \sqrt{2GM(\frac{1}{R+D} - \frac{1}{R})}$$

$$\frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt{2GM(\frac{1}{R+D} - \frac{1}{R})}$$

$$dt = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2GM(\frac{1}{R+D} - \frac{1}{R})}} dx$$

$$\int_{0}^{t} dt = \int_{R}^{R+D} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2GM(\frac{1}{R+D} - \frac{1}{R})}} dx$$$$t = \frac{D}{\sqrt{2GM(\frac{1}{R+D} - \frac{1}{R})}}$$
Is this the correct solution to the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
A simple cross-check: for D>0, you take the square root of a negative number. That cannot be right.

An unrelated issue: Your speed does not depend on x (the current position) at all. Does that sound realistic?

mfb said:
A simple cross-check: for D>0, you take the square root of a negative number. That cannot be right.

An unrelated issue: Your speed does not depend on x (the current position) at all. Does that sound realistic?

a = GM/r^2

If you treat Earth at the x value of 0 then r is a function of x..?

r(x) = x?

I do understand D>0 causing a problem, but I don't know where I went wrong.

R is the constant radius of Earth.

What is r now? The same as x?
Phys_Boi said:
I do understand D>0 causing a problem, but I don't know where I went wrong.
Probably a sign error somewhere. Using conservation of energy, you can directly find v(x) and avoid a few steps.

mfb said:
R is the constant radius of Earth.

What is r now? The same as x?
Probably a sign error somewhere. Using conservation of energy, you can directly find v(x) and avoid a few steps.
At time = 0, r = R + D.

I was going to use conservation of energy, but hesitated due to the fact that you use "g", an approximation.
In the first integral, would you use "R" as the top bound instead of "R + D"?

Phys_Boi said:

Homework Statement

Find the total time, t, that an object takes to reach the surface of the Earth from a distance, D, using the Law of Gravitation: $$F_{g} = \frac{GMm}{x^2}$$

R is radius of Earth
D is distance from surface
R+D is total distance from center of masses

****** One Dimension ******

Homework Equations

F = ma
$$\frac{GMm}{x^2} = ma, a = \frac{GM}{x^2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\frac{a}{v} = \frac{dv}{dx}$$

$$a dx = v dv$$

$$\frac{-GM}{x^{2}} dx = v dv$$
Why'd you throw the minus sign in? I'm not saying it's wrong, but above you wrote ##a = \frac{GM}{x^2}##.

$$-GM\int_{R}^{R+D} \frac{1}{x^2} dx = \int_{0}^{v} v dv$$

The bottom limit of the integral is where you're starting from, and the top limit is where you're ending at. That's the convention you followed on the velocity integral, but you did it backwards on the LHS.

Note that if you say your end point is at ##x=R##, the ##v## you find is ##v(x=R)##, the speed when the object is at a distance ##R##. Is that what you want to find?

vela said:
Why'd you throw the minus sign in? I'm not saying it's wrong, but above you wrote ##a = \frac{GM}{x^2}##.

The bottom limit of the integral is where you're starting from, and the top limit is where you're ending at. That's the convention you followed on the velocity integral, but you did it backwards on the LHS.

Note that if you say your end point is at ##x=R##, the ##v## you find is ##v(x=R)##, the speed when the object is at a distance ##R##. Is that what you want to find?

I added the negative just because the drawing that I drew had the object moving left.

I'm trying to find the total time it takes the object to move from (x = R+D) to (x=R).

I realized the mistake and the new equations are:
$$-GM\int_{R+D}^{R} \frac{1}{x^{2}} dx = \frac{v^{2}}{2}$$

$$v = \sqrt{2GM(\frac{1}{R} - \frac{1}{R+D})} = \frac{\mathrm{dx} }{\mathrm{dt}}$$

$$t = \int_{R+D}^{R} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2GM(\frac{1}{R} - \frac{1}{R+D})}} dx$$

$$t = \frac{D}{\sqrt{2GM(\frac{1}{R} - \frac{1}{R+D})}}$$

As mfb noted earlier, your expression for ##v## doesn't depend on ##x##. It's a constant, so you might notice your last calculation amounts to time = distance/speed (with a sign error).

In this problem, you need to pay a bit more attention to the signs. Which way does the velocity point as the object nears the Earth?

vela said:
As mfb noted earlier, your expression for ##v## doesn't depend on ##x##. It's a constant, so you might notice your last calculation amounts to time = distance/speed (with a sign error).

In this problem, you need to pay a bit more attention to the signs. Which way does the velocity point as the object nears the Earth?
Velocity is a function of x. As the object starts off (with a large x value) the velocity is very small. However, as the object gets closer to Earth, the velocity is very great...

The object is traveling to the left, toward the Earth.

Phys_Boi said:
Velocity is a function of x. As the object starts off (with a large x value) the velocity is very small. However, as the object gets closer to Earth, the velocity is very great...
Right, so your expression for ##v## should be a function of ##x##. Yours isn't.

The object is traveling to the left, toward the Earth.
According to your sign convention, did you pick the right sign for ##v## when you solved ##v^2=##...?

vela said:
Right, so your expression for ##v## should be a function of ##x##. Yours isn't.According to your sign convention, did you pick the right sign for ##v## when you solved ##v^2=##...?
I understand now... However, I don't know how to make it a function of x.

And is this right?
$$\frac{-v^{2}}{2}$$

Phys_Boi said:
I understand now... However, I don't know how to make it a function of x.
Think about what I said in post 6.

And is this right?
$$\frac{-v^{2}}{2}$$
No. If you had the equation, ##x^2 = 4##, there are two solutions, right? Same thing here. You have ##v^2=\text{something}##. Make sure you pick the right solution.

vela said:
Think about what I said in post 6.No. If you had the equation, ##x^2 = 4##, there are two solutions, right? Same thing here. You have ##v^2=\text{something}##. Make sure you pick the right solution.

I'm sorry, I still don't understand

If you know that x is negative, and x2=4, what is x?

1. What is Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Newton's Law of Gravitation is a scientific law that explains the force of gravity between two objects. It states that every mass in the universe attracts every other mass with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does Newton's Law of Gravitation work?

According to Newton's Law of Gravitation, the gravitational force between two objects is dependent on their masses and the distance between them. The larger the masses of the objects and the closer they are to each other, the stronger the gravitational force between them will be.

3. What is the formula for Newton's Law of Gravitation?

The formula for Newton's Law of Gravitation is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. How is Newton's Law of Gravitation related to Einstein's Theory of General Relativity?

Newton's Law of Gravitation is a simplified version of Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, which explains gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass. Einstein's theory also includes the effects of acceleration and explains gravity as a result of the warping of space and time by massive objects.

5. Can Newton's Law of Gravitation be applied to all objects?

Yes, Newton's Law of Gravitation can be applied to all objects in the universe, regardless of their size or mass. However, it is most accurate for objects with relatively small masses and at relatively large distances from each other. For extremely massive objects or objects at very close distances, Einstein's Theory of General Relativity is a better representation of gravitational forces.