Total velocity of resting object on earth from universal frame of refe

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total velocity of an object on Earth from the farthest frame of reference, taking into account various factors such as rotation, orbit, and movement within the universe. The formula for special relativity is also mentioned and compared to traditional vector addition. It is concluded that while the calculation can be made, it may not hold significant value and the "intergalactic" frame is no more special than any other frame. The interest in this calculation is mainly due to its visualization and mathematical complexity.
cyboman
I'm interested in calculating the total velocity of an object on Earth from the farthest frame of reference (the observable universe). I apologize that I am not a physics or science major so please bare with me.

I've posted on another google forum and was told a few different ideas.

Initially I used normal vector addition to add the velocities of the rotation of the earth, the orbit around the sun, the movement of the sun in the galaxy, and then the movement of the galaxy in the universe. When I do that with the numbers I have I get:

3 000 900 km/hr.

I've tried adding the velocities using the formula linked to for special relativity
u + v
w = ---------
1 + uv/c2

and I got this:

3000895.06594378 km/hr

which is -4.93405622430146 km/hr difference than the normal vector addition I performed before to get: 3 000 900 km/hr.

Does that sound right?

Basically If a ball was rolling on a table at a certain velocity on earth, I would like to know the total velocity it is moving taking into account ALL of the cosmological motion it exists within (also taking into account SR). Does this question have a quantifiable value?

Thanks for your time.

-cybo

Physics news on Phys.org
cyboman said:
I'm interested in calculating the total velocity of an object on Earth from the farthest frame of reference (the observable universe). I apologize that I am not a physics or science major so please bare with me.

I've posted on another google forum and was told a few different ideas.

Initially I used normal vector addition to add the velocities of the rotation of the earth, the orbit around the sun, the movement of the sun in the galaxy, and then the movement of the galaxy in the universe. When I do that with the numbers I have I get:

3 000 900 km/hr.

I've tried adding the velocities using the formula linked to for special relativity
u + v
w = ---------
1 + uv/c2

and I got this:

3000895.06594378 km/hr

which is -4.93405622430146 km/hr difference than the normal vector addition I performed before to get: 3 000 900 km/hr.

Does that sound right?
If you simply add together a bunch of speeds, you will get a greater sum than when you use the relativistic velocity formula, so yes, that sounds right.
cyboman said:
Basically If a ball was rolling on a table at a certain velocity on earth, I would like to know the total velocity it is moving taking into account ALL of the cosmological motion it exists within (also taking into account SR). Does this question have a quantifiable value?
Not really. Certainly you can calculate a value based on your assumptions of how fast each thing is moving relative to the next thing but finally you will run out of things with a measurable speed difference.
cyboman said:
Thanks for your time.

-cybo
You're welcome, and welcome to the Physics Forums.

ghwellsjr said:
Not really. Certainly you can calculate a value based on your assumptions of how fast each thing is moving relative to the next thing but finally you will run out of things with a measurable speed difference.

Thanks for your reply. So for the values that do exist (those which I was able to google), the value is accurate as far as they are?

And since I was able to find a value for the movement of our galaxy (which I assume is approximate) within the universe; the farthest frame of reference that is quantifiable would be floating outside our galaxy (assuming no other motion or forces are acting on that frame)?

Therefore, at rest an object on Earth is roughly moving at 3 million km/hr (according to my data) from that "intergalactic" frame?

Thanks for your time!

-cybo

cyboman said:
Thanks for your reply. So for the values that do exist (those which I was able to google), the value is accurate as far as they are?
I'm only saying the calculation is accurate. I'm not saying it is a significant calculation to be interested in making. Why does it interest you?
cyboman said:
And since I was able to find a value for the movement of our galaxy (which I assume is approximate) within the universe; the farthest frame of reference that is quantifiable would be floating outside our galaxy (assuming no other motion or forces are acting on that frame)?

Therefore, at rest an object on Earth is roughly moving at 3 million km/hr (according to my data) from that "intergalactic" frame?

Thanks for your time!

-cybo
As long as you realize that the "intergalactic" frame is no more significant than the "solar system" frame or the "earth" frame or the "Jupiter" frame or any other frame moving with any speed short of light speed in any direction with respect to any of those other frames.

ghwellsjr said:
I'm only saying the calculation is accurate. I'm not saying it is a significant calculation to be interested in making. Why does it interest you?

I have a friend out there. Hehe, j/j. I'm interested in calculating this value simply because it represents the farthest calculable frame of reference for Earth based motion. I'm an artist and programmer and I find the visualization and math intriguing.
ghwellsjr said:
As long as you realize that the "intergalactic" frame is no more significant than the "solar system" frame or the "earth" frame or the "Jupiter" frame or any other frame moving with any speed short of light speed in any direction with respect to any of those other frames.

Absolutely, I'm not favoring or singling out the "intergalactic" frame as special. I'm interested in that frame since it is so far. We don't know the motion of our universe in whatever it is that exists outside of it, or whether it is at motion at all. So as I understand it the "intergalactic" frame is farthest measurable frame with actual velocities to add. Is this mode of thinking flawed?

Thanks for your time George.

-cybo

Last edited:
cyboman said:
I have a friend out there. Hehe, j/j. I'm interested in calculating this value simply because it represents the farthest calculable frame of reference for Earth based motion. I'm an artist and programmer and I find the visualization and math intriguing.

Absolutely, I'm not favoring or singling out the "intergalactic" frame as special. I'm interested in that frame since it is so far. We don't know the motion of our universe in whatever it is that exists outside of it, or whether it is at motion at all. So as I understand it the "intergalactic" frame is farthest measurable frame with actual velocities to add. Is this mode of thinking flawed?

Thanks for your time George.

-cybo
It's flawed in the sense that you are using a Special Relativity application (relativistic velocity addition) to "solve" a problem that also involves gravity and an expanding universe where SR no longer applies. But if it is for artistic purposes, you are allowed license, right?.

ghwellsjr said:
It's flawed in the sense that you are using a Special Relativity application (relativistic velocity addition) to "solve" a problem that also involves gravity and an expanding universe where SR no longer applies. But if it is for artistic purposes, you are allowed license, right?.

Is this problem too complex for someone like myself to calculate? What sort of calculations are needed to get an accurate number?

Do the values that exist say for the velocity of our solar system within the galaxy not take into account red-shift / expansion? I would of assumed they needed the doppler CBR stuff to even come up with that number no?

It seems to me the velocites can be added with SR accurately to the point of our galaxy frame. It is when we try to jump outside that frame into the frame of the universe where it becomes meaningless to use SR. Is this correct? or is SR meaningless in all frames?

I of course am allowed to show whatever I like. But for the sake of my own interest and the project I would like to get the numbers as accurate as possible. I need not understand all the math or physics but I would like to perform those calculations. Is this not possible to any degree? I don't mind stepping back a frame and only calculating within the Milky Way frame of reference.

The time article here states all the relevant velocities: (they may be a bit different than my previous data) and speaks of new data showing the velocity of the Solar system is actually less than previously thought. Are these values not taking into account the other forces you speak of?

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2114544,00.html

Thanks again for your continued feedback.

-cybo

Last edited:

Related to Total velocity of resting object on earth from universal frame of refe

What is the total velocity of a resting object on Earth from the universal frame of reference?

The total velocity of a resting object on Earth from the universal frame of reference is zero. This is because the universal frame of reference is considered to be stationary and any object on Earth is already moving with the rotation and revolution of the Earth itself.

How is the total velocity of a resting object on Earth calculated from the universal frame of reference?

The total velocity of a resting object on Earth is calculated by adding the velocity of the Earth's rotation and revolution to the object's own velocity. This results in a net velocity of zero, as the Earth's velocity cancels out the object's velocity.

Does the total velocity of a resting object on Earth change depending on location?

Yes, the total velocity of a resting object on Earth can change depending on its location. This is due to the Earth's rotation and revolution changing its velocity depending on where the object is located on the Earth's surface.

What role does gravity play in the total velocity of a resting object on Earth from the universal frame of reference?

Gravity does not play a significant role in the total velocity of a resting object on Earth from the universal frame of reference. This is because the Earth's gravity is already incorporated into the Earth's rotation and revolution, which cancels out the object's velocity.

Can the total velocity of a resting object on Earth ever be non-zero from the universal frame of reference?

No, the total velocity of a resting object on Earth will always be zero from the universal frame of reference. This is because the Earth's rotation and revolution are constant, and any changes in the object's velocity are cancelled out by the Earth's velocity.