Total work done while pushing a wheelchair

In summary, the work done in pushing a person in a wheelchair from rest to a speed of 2.0 m/s over a distance of 15m is equal to the change in kinetic energy, which is determined by the difference between the initial and final velocities. The coefficient of kinetic friction is not a relevant factor in this scenario. The question posed is poorly formulated and lacks clarity.
TheBigDig
Homework Statement
A person in a wheelchair (a total mass of 100 kg) is pushed from rest to a
speed of 2.0 m/s . If the effective coefficient of friction is 0.05 and the
distance moved is 15 m, what is the total work done?
Relevant Equations
##v^2 = u^2 +2as##
## F = ma ##
##f = \mu_k N##
##W = Fs##
2021_11_14 14_18 Office Lens.jpg

Taking v = 2m/s, u=0m/s and s = 15m, we get
##a=0.13m/s^2##
##F_g = mg = 100(9.8) = 980N##
Since there's no vertical acceleration, the normal force is equal to the weight
##N = 980N##

##f = \mu_k N = 0.05(980) = 49N##
##F_{net} = ma = 100(0.13) = 13N##
##F_{app} = F_{net}+f = 62N##

My question is, is my work done the applied force by the distance or the net force by the distance. I'm a little unsure of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheBigDig said:
My question is, is my work done the applied force by the distance or the net force by the distance. I'm a little unsure of it.
Good question! It's not clear which force to assume.

The other thing is that wheels when rolling work by static friction, so technically there is no relevant coefficient of kinetic friction and no energy loss to kinetic friction. Instead, there will be some rolling resistance. To see the difference, compare pushing the wheelchair normally (low rolling resistance) and pushing the wheelchair when it has the wheels locked by the brakes (high kinetic friction - to the point where the wheelchair is perhaps immovable with someone in it and the wheels locked).

This is perhaps overall a bad question.

TheBigDig said:
Homework Statement:: A person in a wheelchair (a total mass of 100 kg) is pushed from rest to a
speed of 2.0 m/s . If the effective coefficient of friction is 0.05 and the
distance moved is 15 m, what is the total work done?
Relevant Equations:: ##v^2 = u^2 +2as##
## F = ma ##
##f = \mu_k N##
##W = Fs##

View attachment 292266
Taking v = 2m/s, u=0m/s and s = 15m, we get
##a=0.13m/s^2##
##F_g = mg = 100(9.8) = 980N##
Since there's no vertical acceleration, the normal force is equal to the weight
##N = 980N##

##f = \mu_k N = 0.05(980) = 49N##
##F_{net} = ma = 100(0.13) = 13N##
##F_{app} = F_{net}+f = 62N##

One critcism of your solution is that you had to assume constant acceleration in order to use the SUVAT formulas. Instead, the gain in KE of the wheelchair tells you the work done to accelerate it without considering the applied force or acceleration profile at all. Likewise, the effective friction force times the distance would have given you the negative work done by friction.

I agree that it is a badly formulated question because of the vagueness of the "total work done". I assumed that it must be the sum of all the works done by the external forces on the wheelchair and the person. If that interpretation is correct, then the only consideration that matters is the change in kinetic energy.

PeroK said:
Good question! It's not clear which force to assume.

The other thing is that wheels when rolling work by static friction, so technically there is no relevant coefficient of kinetic friction and no energy loss to kinetic friction. Instead, there will be some rolling resistance. To see the difference, compare pushing the wheelchair normally (low rolling resistance) and pushing the wheelchair when it has the wheels locked by the brakes (high kinetic friction - to the point where the wheelchair is perhaps immovable with someone in it and the wheels locked).

This is perhaps overall a bad question.
kuruman said:
I agree that it is a badly formulated question because of the vagueness of the "total work done". I assumed that it must be the sum of all the works done by the external forces on the wheelchair and the person. If that interpretation is correct, then the only consideration that matters is the change in kinetic energy.
Thank you very much for these answers, I will consider change in KE instead

1. What is the definition of "total work done while pushing a wheelchair"?

The total work done while pushing a wheelchair refers to the amount of energy expended by an individual while pushing a wheelchair over a certain distance. It takes into account both the force applied and the distance traveled.

2. How is the total work done while pushing a wheelchair calculated?

The total work done while pushing a wheelchair can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the wheelchair by the distance traveled. This calculation is represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What factors affect the total work done while pushing a wheelchair?

Several factors can affect the total work done while pushing a wheelchair, including the weight of the wheelchair and occupant, the surface of the ground, and the incline of the terrain. Additionally, the physical strength and endurance of the individual pushing the wheelchair can also impact the total work done.

4. How can the total work done while pushing a wheelchair be reduced?

The total work done while pushing a wheelchair can be reduced by using proper techniques, such as pushing with the legs rather than the arms, taking breaks to avoid fatigue, and using assistive devices such as ramps or motorized wheelchairs. It is also important to maintain good physical fitness and strength to reduce the strain on the body while pushing a wheelchair.

5. Why is it important to consider the total work done while pushing a wheelchair?

Understanding the total work done while pushing a wheelchair is important for both the individual pushing the wheelchair and the wheelchair occupant. It can help determine the amount of effort and energy required for certain tasks, and can also aid in selecting the most suitable wheelchair and assistive devices. Additionally, considering the total work done can help prevent injuries and promote safe and efficient wheelchair use.