Totient function and distinct primes.

In summary: The first inequality is not true. In summary, it seems that it is possible to find two distinct primes that produce a number phi(pq) when phi(pq) = (p-1)(q-1). However, this does not always hold true, and it is not possible to generalize the theorem to more than 2 prime factors.
Yuqing
It is true that phi(pq)=(p-1)(q-1) when p and q are distinct primes, but is it true that given phi(pq) = (p-1)(q-1) then p and q have to be distinct primes? It seems intuitive, but I'm having some difficulty proving it.

Also, if this was true, is it possible to generalize this into more than 2 primes? Given phi(m) = (p_1-1)(p_2-1)..(p_k-1) then m is a product of k distinct primes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your first question, if p = q, then phi(pq)=phi(p^2)=p^2-p =/= (p-1)(q-1).

For your second, what happens if some of them are equal? As you can see above p divides phi(pq). This will also happen generally if some prime occurs more than once.

Sorry, I should've been more clear.

For the question, I am assuming that we do not know the nature of p or q. As you have mentioned, if p and q are both primes, they have to be distinct, but if p and q are not necessarily primes (they could be primes, composite, coprime or non-coprime) then could phi(pq) = (p-1)(q-1).

So basically I am asking, given two numbers p and q, where we do not know if p or q is prime, coprime or any detail in general, can we prove that if phi(pq) = (p-1)(q-1) then p and q are distinct primes. To give a numerical example, say we want to prove that 2 and 3 are primes, can we use

phi(2*3) = (2-1)(3-1) = 2 to prove that 2 are 3 are in fact distinct primes.

The same idea with the generalized case, say we know that

phi(p_1 *p_2 * ... *p_k) = (p_1-1)(p_2-1)..(p_k-1)

can we then say that p_1, p_2, ... p_k are distinct primes?

Last edited:
Yuqing said:
So basically I am asking, given two numbers p and q, where we do not know if p or q is prime, coprime or any detail in general, can we prove that if phi(pq) = (p-1)(q-1) then p and q are distinct primes.

Suppose we have phi(m q)=(m-1)(q-1) and m=pr and with p,q,r distinct primes (so p,q,r > 1).
Then we would also have phi(m q)=phi(pr q)=(p-1)(r-1)q

In other words, we would have (pr-1)=(p-1)(r-1), implying p+r=2 which is a contradiction (since both are > 1).

Similarly if we have phi(m q)=(m-1)(q-1) with m=r2 and q,r distinct primes.
Then we would have phi(m q)=phi(r2 q)=(r-1)rq
In this case we would have (r2-1)=(r-1)r, implying r=1 which again is a contradiction.

In general each factorisation of m would yield a value for phi(m q) that is lower than (m-1)(q-1).
And more generally each factorisation of m and n would yield a value for phi(m n) that is lower than (m-1)(n-1).

So I'd say, yes, if we have phi(m n)=(m-1)(n-1) then m and n must be distinct primes.
Qed.

I agree that it does seem like the case, but from what I can see, that proof relies on the fact that q is prime (which is required to properly cancel q-1). I cannot see an immediately obvious way to prove the proposition for the case that both p and q are composite. Especially troubling (for me at least) is the case where p and q might be non-coprime.

phi(ab) <= phi(a)phi(b) <= (a-1)(b-1), and the last inequality is equality if and only if a and b are primes. This extends easily to an arbitrary number of factors. The second inequality is obvious, and the first inequality can be seen from a easily derived general formula for phi(n) given the prime factorization of n.

But the first inequality is not true.

phi(24) = 8 > phi(4)*phi(6) = 2*2 = 4

Yuqing said:
But the first inequality is not true.

phi(24) = 8 > phi(4)*phi(6) = 2*2 = 4

My mistake, the inequality is the wrong way.

1. What is the Totient function?

The Totient function, denoted as φ(n), is a mathematical function that counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to n that are relatively prime to n. In other words, it calculates the number of integers between 1 and n that do not share any common factors with n.

2. What are distinct primes?

Distinct primes are prime numbers that are different from each other. In other words, they do not share any common factors and are not multiples of each other.

3. How is the Totient function related to distinct primes?

The Totient function is used to calculate the number of distinct primes that divide a given number n. This is because the totient function counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to n that are relatively prime to n, which includes all the distinct prime factors of n.

4. Can the Totient function be calculated for non-prime numbers?

Yes, the Totient function can be calculated for any positive integer, whether it is prime or not. However, if the number is prime, the Totient function will simply return n-1 because all numbers less than a prime number are relatively prime to it.

5. How is the Totient function used in number theory?

The Totient function is used in a variety of number theory applications, including solving problems related to modular arithmetic, finding the order of elements in a finite group, and determining the size of certain sets in number theory. It is also used in cryptography and prime number generation algorithms.