How Does Recoil Affect the Character in Diamonds Are Forever?

• Thread starter cheechnchong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun Urgent
In summary, the lead female character in the movie Diamonds Are Forever experiences recoil velocity of .0071 m/s when she fires a gun.
cheechnchong
The lead female character in the movie Diamonds Are Forever (lol so random) is standing at the edge of an offshore oil rig. As she fires a gun, she is driven back over the edge and into the sea. Suppose the mass of a bullet is 0.010 kg and its velocity is +720 m/s. Her mass (including the gun) is 51 kg. (a) What recoil velocity does she acquire in the response to a single shot from a stationary position, assuming that no external force keeeps her in place? (b) Under the same assumption, what would be her recoil velocity if, instead, she shoots a blank cartridge that ejects mass of 5.0 x 10^-4 kg at a velocity of +720 m/s?

My Conflict- Well, I'm stuck on finding the Force and the wording on which mass to use is confusing (for parts A and B)...The equation I am using is
Force x Time = Change Velocity x Mass -- This problem has something to do with Conservation of Linear Momentum. If you're trying to work this problem out, then the answer you should get for Part B is .0071 m/s. Anyways, PLEASE HELP...I need help ASAP! :confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the force. All you need is conservation of momentum. Before the bullet is fired, there is zero momentum. After it is fired the total momentum of the bullet plus the girl must still be zero.

OlderDan said:
You don't need the force. All you need is conservation of momentum. Before the bullet is fired, there is zero momentum. After it is fired the total momentum of the bullet plus the girl must still be zero.

ok i will try it out and let you know in a bit! thanks buddy :smile:

Last edited:
^^^Hey, I got the answer right after the server crashed lol thanks!

1. What is "Tough Gun Recoil"?

"Tough Gun Recoil" refers to the force or kickback experienced when firing a firearm. It is the result of the reaction force created by the gunpowder explosion within the gun's chamber, and the resistance of the gun's internal components and the shooter's body.

2. Why is it important to understand tough gun recoil?

Understanding tough gun recoil is important for both safety and accuracy. A strong recoil can cause injury to the shooter if handled improperly, and can also affect the shooter's ability to maintain control and aim the firearm accurately.

3. How can I reduce tough gun recoil?

There are a few ways to reduce tough gun recoil. One is by using a firearm with a lower caliber or a lighter weight. Additionally, using a recoil-reducing device, such as a muzzle brake or recoil pad, can also help absorb some of the recoil force.

4. Can tough gun recoil have any long-term effects on the shooter?

Yes, repeated exposure to strong recoil can potentially lead to physical effects such as discomfort, pain, or even injury. It can also affect the shooter's accuracy and confidence, leading to a decline in shooting performance over time.

5. Are there any techniques to manage tough gun recoil?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can help manage tough gun recoil. These include proper stance and grip, using a consistent and controlled trigger pull, and following through with the shot. It is also important to practice regularly to build strength and comfort with the firearm.