Tow truck driver dragging death

In summary: Just give us the facts.In summary, a tow truck driver was preparing to tow away a vehicle in an apartment complex when the driver ran out, jumped into her car, and drove off. The tow truck driver was dragged for nearly two miles before coming loose from the cable. Articles of clothing, other personal possessions, and blood were spread over the entire route.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Earlier this week, a tow truck driver was preparing to tow away a vehicle in an apartment complex. In the middle of hooking the cable from the SUV to the tow truck in order to drag it up onto the flatbed, the driver ran out, jumped into her car, and drove off. She snapped the cable from the truck and it coiled around the tow truck driver's leg and he was dragged for nearly two miles before finally coming loose from the cable. Articles of clothing, other personal possesions, and blood were spread over the entire route.

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Person_Dragged_By_Vehicle_On_Platte_116748584.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5r0ySOn3CE

I think it's hard to say she definitely knew he was being dragged behind the SUV (as explained by her cousin in an accompanying video). But her route and behavior definitely suggest that she was trying to flee the scene. She drove through the apartment complex's shuffleboard area and through a horseshoe's sand pit before exiting the apartment complex and I don't think she knew where she was fleeing to, given a rather strange route after leaving the complex. After the tow truck driver came loose, she cut through the median and reversed her direction, stopped in a shopping center parking lot to free the cable from her SUV, and then abandoned the vehicle in a strange neighborhood.

Regardless, that was a horrible way to die and a horrible scene for the people who witnessed the dragging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I find it hard to believe she didn't hear the guys screams or just the sound of him being dragged.

It's all quite bizarre and rare. I wonder if anything was intentional. She likely had a panic attack and it is quite hard to comprehend events in those situations.

rootX said:
It's all quite bizarre and rare. I wonder if anything was intentional. She likely had a panic attack and it is quite hard to comprehend events in those situations.

Even if she didn't realize he was there, she still deserves a long prison sentence.

pergradus said:
Even if she didn't realize he was there, she still deserves a long prison sentence.

I am not qualified to tell what she deserves. But, I can certainly see her fault in attempting to flee with the vehicle. I don't know what kind of charges can be made just for fleeing.

rootX said:

I think the panic attack is quite likely. There's no way she could have expected the tow truck driver to get caught in the cables. While it's not in the posted stories, another witness said that while the driver was going through the sand pit, etc, the tow truck driver realized she'd have to head for the exit and tried to cut her off. There's no way either the driver or the tow truck driver expected the cable, which was zipping around behind the SUV every which way, to wind around the tow truck driver's leg.

You'd think human nature would cause the woman to look back to see what the tow truck driver was doing (getting in his truck to give chase, calling on his cell phone, etc), but it's hard to know. She might have just been so intent on getting away from the scene that she never looked back. Having other drivers try to get her attention may have just freaked her out even more.

Or she did look back and what she saw really, really freaked her out!

Last edited:
Oh goodness.
OP article said:
Editor's Note: KKTV is aware of the article that many viewers have found from a Denver newspaper, naming Detra Farries as the wife of a man convicted of a hit-and-run a few years ago in Denver. It has not been confirmed whether this is the same Detra Farries. We will continue to report information we gather once it is confirmed.

Yes, she seems to have been cursed by interesting times.

Who is Detra Farries?

32 years old; 8 kids, the first when she was 15. A brother stabbed to death at her home. A husband whom she's currently divorcing, convicted of a fatal hit-and-run accident, plus she's been caught driving with a suspended license twice in the last the 8 years.

BobG said:
Yes, she seems to have been cursed by interesting times.

Who is Detra Farries?

32 years old; 8 kids, the first when she was 15. A brother stabbed to death at her home. A husband whom she's currently divorcing, convicted of a fatal hit-and-run accident, plus she's been caught driving with a suspended license twice in the last the 8 years.

Oh my god, this is what I hate about the media these days. WHO CARES what her myspace page says and where she went to college and whether or not she's getting divorced.

rootX said:
I am not qualified to tell what she deserves. But, I can certainly see her fault in attempting to flee with the vehicle. I don't know what kind of charges can be made just for fleeing.

She would get charged for what she did, even if it's unintentional it's still a crime.

pergradus said:
I find it hard to believe she didn't hear the guys screams or just the sound of him being dragged.

I doubt it is that normal to be screaming in a situation like this for the guy, or I wouldn't expect to be, so it's not easy to tell whether she must have heard anything. Perhaps he wasn't even conscious. I also doubt you'd hear a body being dragged after your car that easily, especially in a stressed situation like that.

Pengwuino said:
Oh my god, this is what I hate about the media these days. WHO CARES what her myspace page says and where she went to college and whether or not she's getting divorced.

In that case, why care about the report at all?

Jarle said:
She would get charged for what she did, even if it's unintentional it's still a crime.

Sure ...
Newai said:

Her family history or personal life details are irrelevant for the purpose of reporting.

Newai said:

Because someone was killed. That is important, not that she took economics 101 3 years ago at some city college.

BobG said:
There's no way either the driver or the tow truck driver expected the cable, which was zipping around behind the SUV every which way, to wind around the tow truck driver's leg.
If tow truck driver didn't know how broken towing cables behave, he shouldn't have been allowed out to play with a tow truck.

I agreee the SUV driver couldn't necessarily be expected to know.

If some inner city woman was murdered the same day, who gets the most press?

Grotesque wins. "It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry."

Pengwuino said:
Because someone was killed. That is important, not that she took economics 101 3 years ago at some city college.

Then I am missing something here. You watched the video, right? Because there is a whole run of problems in her life, according to the video news report in the quote you replied to, that might offer some explanation for her behavior.

rootX said:
Her family history or personal life details are irrelevant for the purpose of reporting.
It's completely relevant and the whole point of journalism.

1. What happened in the "Tow truck driver dragging death" case?

The "Tow truck driver dragging death" case refers to the tragic incident in which a tow truck driver was killed while attempting to tow a vehicle. The driver was dragged for several blocks and ultimately died from his injuries.

2. How did the tow truck driver get dragged?

The tow truck driver was dragged after the tow cable became entangled around his leg while he was attempting to tow a vehicle. The driver may have also been caught between the two vehicles as the tow truck was moving.

3. Was the tow truck driver at fault?

It is not clear who was at fault in this case. Investigations are ongoing to determine the cause of the accident and whether any parties were negligent or responsible for the tow truck driver's death.

4. What safety precautions should tow truck drivers take?

Tow truck drivers should always follow safety protocols when towing a vehicle, including wearing appropriate safety gear, properly securing the tow cable, and communicating with the driver of the towed vehicle. They should also be aware of their surroundings and potential hazards.

5. What can be done to prevent similar incidents in the future?

To prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future, it is important for tow truck companies to prioritize safety training and protocols for their drivers. This may include regular safety meetings, equipment checks, and thorough training on proper towing procedures. Additionally, drivers should also be aware of potential hazards and practice caution at all times while on the job.