Train Collision Problem - Calculating Head Start

In summary: So the passenger train will have gone 200 m in 200/5= 40 seconds.In summary, the passenger train is traveling at 25.0 m/s and the freight train at 15.0 m/s. The passenger train starts decelerating at 0.100 m/s^2 while the freight train continues with constant speed. To avoid collision, the passenger train needs to slow down to the same speed as the freight train, which would take 40 seconds and cover a distance of 200 m.
egrr10

Homework Statement

The engineer of a passenger train traveling at 25.0 m/s sights a freight train whose caboose is 200 m ahead on the same track. The freight train is traveling at 15.0 m/s in the same direction as the passenger train. The engineer of the passenger train immediately applies the brakes, causing a constant acceleration of 0.100 m/s^2, while the freight train continues with constant speed. Take x=0 at the location of the front of the passenger train when the engineer applies the brakes.
If the speeds of the two trains and the deceleration of the passenger train remain as originally stated, how much of a head start would the freight train need in order to avoid collision?

Homework Equations

y=yo+vo*t+1/2*a*t^(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know if my set up is right.
I know then that yf(freight train) must be greater than yp(passenger) so knowing that they will collide at about 25 seconds, would I set
yf=yp and solve for distance?
yf=yo+vot
vp=vpot-(1/2)at^2
vo+(15m/s)=(25m/s)-(1/2)(-0.1m/s^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I would work with "relative" speed. In order to avoid a collision the passenger train does NOT have to come to a stop, relative to the track, but just slow to the same speed as the freight train, v= 0 relative to the freight train. The passenger train is traveling at 25.0 m/s and the freight train at 15.0 m/s so the passenger train is initially closing on the freight train at 20.0- 15.0= 10.0 m/s. At that point, the passenger train starts decelerating at .100 m/s^2. At that acceleration, how long will it take for the passenger train to slow to the same speed as the freight train- for its speed to be 0 relative to the freight train? How far, relative to the freight train, will it have gone in that time?

You can use [itex]y= v_0t- (1/2)at^2[/itex] to determine the distance traveled but since the acceleration is constant, you could also use the fact that the average speed will just be the average of the initial speed, 10 m/s relative to the freight train, and the final speed, 0, relative to the freight train- that is, whatever the acceleration is, the average relative speed will be 5 m/s.

1. How is the head start for a train collision calculated?

The head start for a train collision is calculated by dividing the distance between the two trains by the difference in their speeds. This will give the time in which one train must start before the other in order to avoid a collision.

2. What factors affect the head start calculation for a train collision?

The factors that affect the head start calculation for a train collision include the speed of each train, the distance between them, and any external factors such as weather or track conditions.

3. How does the weight of the trains impact the calculation of head start for a collision?

The weight of the trains can impact the calculation of head start for a collision by affecting their speeds. Heavier trains may have a slower maximum speed, which could alter the time needed for a head start to avoid a collision.

4. Can the head start calculation be used for any type of train collision?

The head start calculation can be used for any type of train collision, as long as the trains are traveling on parallel tracks and have the potential to collide with each other.

5. What is the importance of calculating a head start for train collisions?

Calculating a head start for train collisions is important because it allows for the prevention of dangerous and potentially fatal accidents. By determining the necessary time for a head start, appropriate measures can be taken to ensure the trains do not collide.