Train Velocity-Time Graph: Uniform Acceleration and Retardation Motion Explained

In summary, the train starts from rest and accelerates uniformly at 0.5m/s^2 for 20s, then travels at a constant velocity for 30s, and finally decelerates uniformly to come to rest in 10s. The velocity-time graph for this motion is a trapezium and the total distance traveled by the train is equal to the area under the graph, which can be calculated using the formula for the area of a trapezium.
Jerome1
A train starts from rest from a station and travels with uniform acceleration 0.5m/s^2 for 20s. it travels with uniform velocity for another 30s, the brakes are then applied so that a uniform retardation is obtained and the train comes to rest in a further 10s. sketch the velocity-time graph of this motion. Using your graph, calculate the total distance traveled by the train

please can i see the graph, and also include explanation so that i can understand better

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, let me ask you if the velocity changes uniformly, that is, the acceleration is constant, how will the velocity vary, mathematically speaking?

i don't have answers to that.

Welcome to MHB, Jerome! :)

Jerome said:
A train starts from rest from a station and travels with uniform acceleration 0.5m/s^2 for 20s. it travels with uniform velocity for another 30s, the brakes are then applied so that a uniform retardation is obtained and the train comes to rest in a further 10s. sketch the velocity-time graph of this motion. Using your graph, calculate the total distance traveled by the train

please can i see the graph, and also include explanation so that i can understand better

Jerome said:
i don't have answers to that.

The formula for velocity with uniform acceleration is:
$$v = v_0 + a t$$
where $v$ is the speed at time $t$, $v_0$ is the initial speed, and $a$ is the uniform acceleration.

Is this formula known to you?

Anyway, in your problem, we can deduce that $v_0 = 0$, since the train is initially at rest.
And $a=0.5 m/s^2$ is given.

Do you know how to draw the graph of $v=0.5 t$ for the time period of 0 to 20s?
What will be the speed at $t=20s$?

I like Serena said:
Welcome to MHB, Jerome! :)The formula for velocity with uniform acceleration is:
$$v = v_0 + a t$$
where $v$ is the speed at time $t$, $v_0$ is the initial speed, and $a$ is the uniform acceleration.

Is this formula known to you?

Anyway, in your problem, we can deduce that $v_0 = 0$, since the train is initially at rest.
And $a=0.5 m/s^2$ is given.

Do you know how to draw the graph of $v=0.5 t$ for the time period of 0 to 20s?
What will be the speed at $t=20s$?
i got that thanks, the graph looks like a trapezium, so the area of the trapezium is the total distance right?

Jerome said:
i got that thanks, the graph looks like a trapezium, so the area of the trapezium is the total distance right?

Yep!

What is a velocity time graph?

A velocity time graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity over time. The horizontal axis represents time, while the vertical axis represents velocity. The slope of the graph at any given point represents the object's velocity at that time.

How do you interpret a velocity time graph?

To interpret a velocity time graph, you must look at the slope of the graph. A positive slope indicates a positive velocity, meaning the object is moving in the positive direction. A negative slope indicates a negative velocity, meaning the object is moving in the negative direction. The steeper the slope, the greater the velocity. A horizontal line indicates a constant velocity, while a curved line indicates a changing velocity.

How do you calculate velocity from a velocity time graph?

To calculate the velocity from a velocity time graph, you can use the slope formula: velocity = (change in position)/(change in time). This will give you the average velocity over a given time interval. To find the instantaneous velocity at a specific point, you can draw a tangent line at that point and calculate the slope of the line.

What is the difference between speed and velocity on a velocity time graph?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast and in what direction an object is moving. On a velocity time graph, speed would be represented by the absolute value of the slope, while velocity takes into account the direction of movement.

How do you use a velocity time graph to determine acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. On a velocity time graph, acceleration is represented by the change in slope. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller acceleration. A horizontal line on a velocity time graph indicates no acceleration, as the velocity is not changing over time.