Trampoline analogy for gravity

In summary, the trampoline analogy for gravity explains the concept of gravity by comparing it to a person jumping on a trampoline. Just like how the trampoline's surface bends and pulls the person towards the center, gravity also pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its "pull" or gravitational force. This analogy helps to understand how gravity works in a simple and relatable way.
arunshanker
The trampoline analogy tries to explain gravity in terms of space time curvature
the orbit of objects around a massive object can be understood, but what about centre of gravity of the massive object, the images of trampoline is generally shown as seen from top where the massive object is making a curvature downwards when looking from the top, if that is the case how to explain the gravitational attraction of the objects on the surface of the massive object at the bottom side of the curvature

Physics news on Phys.org
arunshanker said:
The trampoline analogy tries to explain gravity in terms of space time curvature
Actually it just shows space curvature. There is no time dimension on that sheet.

arunshanker said:
the images of trampoline is generally shown as seen from top where the massive object is making a curvature downwards when looking from the top,
There is no down or top in space. The 4D space-time geometry is spherically symmetrical, but the trampoline just shows a selected 2D spatial slice of it.

arunshanker said:
if that is the case how to explain the gravitational attraction...
It doesn't explain attraction at all, because it doesn’t include the time dimension. These are better visualizations of the attraction:

Likes wabbit
That second video is just the simplest, most concise, and accurate illustration I've seen of spacetime curvature in GR - much better then any rubber sheet analogy. Very nice.

wabbit said:
That second video is just the simplest, most concise, and accurate illustration I've seen of spacetime curvature in GR - much better then any rubber sheet analogy. Very nice.
To be pedantic, that video doesn't quite cover spacetime curvature. It covers steps A, B1 and B2 below, but step C is needed to cover spacetime curvature.

DrGreg said:
This is my own non-animated way of looking at it:

attachment.php?attachmentid=56007&stc=1&d=1361576846.png

• A. Two inertial particles, at rest relative to each other, in flat spacetime (i.e. no gravity), shown with inertial coordinates. Drawn as a red distance-time graph on a flat piece of paper with blue gridlines.
  • B1. The same particles in the same flat spacetime, but shown with non-inertial coordinates. Drawn as the same distance-time graph on an identical flat piece of paper except it has different gridlines.
    B2. Take the flat piece of paper depicted in B1, cut out the grid with some scissors, and wrap it round a cone. Nothing within the intrinsic geometry of the paper has changed by doing this, so B2 shows exactly the same thing as B1, just presented in a different way, showing how the red lines could be perceived as looking "curved" against a "straight" grid.
  • C. Two free-falling particles, initially at rest relative to each other, in curved spacetime (i.e. with gravity), shown with non-inertial coordinates. This cannot be drawn to scale on a flat piece of paper; you have to draw it on a curved surface instead. Note how C looks rather similar to B2. This is the equivalence principle in action: if you zoomed in very close to B2 and C, you wouldn't notice any difference between them.

Note the diagrams above aren't entirely accurate because they are drawn with a locally-Euclidean geometry, when really they ought to be drawn with a locally-Lorentzian geometry. I've drawn it this way as an analogy to help visualise the concepts.

True, but it still illustrates it : ) and it's very easy to grasp. I guess the second series you show would be "part II" to that first illustration's "part I".
Are these all from one website ?

Edit : and as to something equivalent with true Lorentzian metric, I don't recall seeing one, is that even possible ? If we look at a picture of a surface we are always going to interpret it as euclidian it would seem ?Edit : removed incorrect mention of 1D/2D
"Part I" refers to video # 2 in post # 2
"Part II" refers to pictures A B C in post # 4

Last edited:
wabbit said:
True, but it still illustrates it : ) and it's very easy to grasp. I guess the second series you show would be "part II (2+1D)" to that first illustration's "part I (1+1D)".
The two videos don't show intrinsic curvature, which is related to tidal effects, because they are negligible on small scale. Here is an applet that shows the global picture:

http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/gravitation.swf

wabbit said:
Edit : and as to something equivalent with true Lorentzian metric, I don't recall seeing one, is that even possible ? If we look at a picture of a surface we are always going to interpret it as euclidian it would seem?
For visualization purposes you can work with space-propertime diagrams, which are Euclidean.

wabbit said:
I guess the second series you show would be "part II (2+1D)" to that first illustration's "part I (1+1D)".
Sorry, I'm not clear exactly what you mean by "I" and "II" in this context.

Thanks - for some reason I can't open that video, (tablet now) will try on computer later.
But C above (post 4) does show tidal effect/geodesic divergence, as far as i could tell that's how it differs from B2.
Also I don't understand
space-propertime diagrams, which are Euclidean
the issue is that the metric has null cones / negative intervals, which means any euclidean representation is wrong in the same way, as "visual distance" cannot match "lorentzian distance" ? - not at all to say the euclidean diagrams aren't useful, more that they're the best we can hope for but they cannot be exactly correct.

Last edited:
Oh Thanks, looks like some good reading to do now.

wabbit said:
Sorry just part 1 and part 2, seeing the second series as a tad more advanced than the first
Sorry, I'm not clear what you mean by that, either, or what you mean by "series" in this context.

Corrected that post # 5 above, thanks DrGreg for pointing this out.

Last edited:
Thanks AT, Wabbit and DrGreg

1. How does the trampoline analogy explain gravity?

The trampoline analogy explains gravity by comparing it to a stretched trampoline. Just like how objects with mass cause the trampoline to bend, objects with mass cause space to bend. This bending of space creates the force of gravity that pulls objects towards each other.

2. Is the trampoline analogy an accurate representation of gravity?

While the trampoline analogy can provide a visual representation of how gravity works, it is not a completely accurate representation. The trampoline bends due to the weight of the object, whereas in reality, space bends due to the presence of mass. Additionally, the trampoline analogy does not account for the effects of relativity on gravity.

3. Can the trampoline analogy be used to explain the concept of orbits?

Yes, the trampoline analogy can be used to explain how objects in orbit are constantly falling towards the center of the larger object, but their sideways motion keeps them from colliding. This can be represented by a smaller object rolling around the edge of the trampoline without falling into the center.

4. Does the trampoline analogy apply to all types of gravity, such as on different planets?

Yes, the trampoline analogy can be applied to all types of gravity, as the bending of space is a fundamental concept in the theory of gravity. However, the strength of gravity on different planets may vary due to differences in mass and distance, which may affect the amount of bending in space.

5. Are there any limitations to the trampoline analogy for gravity?

While the trampoline analogy can be a helpful tool in understanding the concept of gravity, it does have its limitations. It is a simplified representation and does not account for all aspects of gravity, such as the effects of relativity. It is important to use this analogy as a starting point, but also understand the more complex and accurate scientific explanations of gravity.