Transducer Selection for SRM: Tachometer & Beyond

• Thread starter nothing909
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transducer
In summary, the conversation is about improving a switching circuit for a switched reluctance motor by adding a transducer. The speaker is looking for suggestions on what type of transducer to use, with a tachometer being their current choice. They are open to other suggestions that could improve the motor's performance or help with control.
nothing909

Homework Statement

I have built the circuit shown in the attached image. It is a switching circuit for a switched reluctance motor. I need to add some sort of transducer to improve the circuit and then explain how to integrate it into the circuit.

I'm just looking for suggestions as to what transducer I can pick for this kind of motor.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]I picked a tachometer to measure the speed of the motor, but does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I can use?

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 332
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking for something that could improve the performance of the motor or help me to control it more precisely.

1. What is a transducer?

A transducer is a device that converts one form of energy into another. In the context of SRM (switched reluctance motor) selection, a transducer is used to convert mechanical energy into electrical signals for monitoring and control purposes.

2. Why is transducer selection important for SRM?

Transducers play a critical role in SRM systems as they provide the necessary feedback for accurate control and monitoring of the motor. Choosing the right transducer ensures optimal performance and reliability of the motor.

3. What are the key factors to consider when selecting a transducer for SRM?

The key factors to consider when selecting a transducer for SRM include the type of signal required (voltage, current, frequency), the range and accuracy of the signal, the environmental conditions, and compatibility with the motor and control system.

4. Can a single transducer be used for both tachometer and other sensing purposes?

Yes, a single transducer can be used for both tachometer (speed sensing) and other sensing purposes such as torque, position, and temperature. This can simplify the system design and reduce costs.

5. How can I ensure the reliability of the selected transducer for SRM?

The reliability of a transducer can be ensured by selecting a reputable brand, considering the operating conditions and environmental factors, and conducting thorough testing and validation before implementation. Regular maintenance and calibration can also help prolong the lifespan of the transducer.