Transfer from UC Berkeley to canadian colleges; any recommendations?

• Schools
  • Thread starter berkotaku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Berkeley
In summary, it is recommended that the individual applies to all mentioned universities (McGill, UofT, UAlberta, McMaster, Queen's, SFU) as an international student. They have a good chance of getting in with their respectable SAT scores and high school grades. It is suggested to reach out to each university's admissions office for more information on transfer policies and requirements. Researching the available research opportunities is also recommended.
berkotaku
Transfer from UC Berkeley to Canadian colleges; any recommendations??!??

I am going to HAVE to transfer to a college in Canada from UC Berkeley. I finished my soph year at Berkeley Engineering Physics with GPA of 3.8. But (and this is the saddest part) I had to take a year off (the 2011-2012 year) and will be applying this fall for next fall. I've also had some research experience (summer after freshman year and then all of soph year) in nano devices.
Which colleges would you recommend I apply to in Canada for transfer?
Would getting into McGill or UofT be out of reach for me? UAlberta, McMaster, Queen's?SFU? Any other recommended colleges? How hard is it to transfer to Canadian colleges from US colleges? How do I find out how hard Canadian colleges are, and where I might have a chance of transferring to??
My SAT scores were okay, something like 2220. And my high school grades were respectable too.
.My reasons are family/personal. But nothing academic. Also, I'm international (from South Africa), although my family is currently settled in Canada.
I want places with good optoelectronic device research, if at all possible, or some sort of nanofab research.
I'm not worried about transferring credit and i would be willing to take extra time to finish but I'm worried about the Getting IN part. I guess what I would want would be to have some colleges that I have a slim chance at, some I have a good chance at, and some I have a really good chance of getting in, so I'm not left high and dry. (Going back to UCBerkeley would be great and is absolutely possible ---there's nothing preventing it, I'm on temporary leave--but it would be hard on my family, actually. )

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend that you apply to all of the universities mentioned (McGill, UofT, UAlberta, McMaster, Queen's, SFU). As an international student, your application will be compared to other international applications, and each university has different standards for admission. Your SAT scores and high school grades are very respectable and should give you a good chance at getting into any of these universities. In terms of finding out how hard it is to transfer to Canadian colleges from US colleges, I recommend reaching out to the admissions office of each university you are interested in to get a better sense of their transfer policies and requirements. Additionally, you can research the research opportunities available at each university to ensure it meets your interests. Good luck with your transfer!

1. How do I transfer from UC Berkeley to a Canadian college?

To transfer from UC Berkeley to a Canadian college, you will need to follow the specific transfer requirements of the college you are interested in. Generally, you will need to complete the transfer application, submit your transcripts, and provide any additional materials or documents required by the college. It is important to carefully research the transfer process and requirements of the specific Canadian college you are interested in.

2. What are the benefits of transferring to a Canadian college from UC Berkeley?

Transferring to a Canadian college from UC Berkeley can offer a variety of benefits, such as the opportunity to experience a new culture, access to unique academic programs, and potentially lower tuition costs. Additionally, transferring can provide a fresh start and new opportunities for personal and academic growth.

3. Are there any specific courses or grades required for transfer to Canadian colleges?

The specific courses and grades required for transfer to Canadian colleges may vary depending on the college and program you are interested in. Generally, a strong academic record is important, and some colleges may have specific course requirements in subjects such as English, math, or science. It is important to carefully review the transfer requirements of the specific college you are interested in.

4. Can I receive financial aid as a transfer student to a Canadian college?

Yes, as a transfer student to a Canadian college, you may be eligible for financial aid. However, it is important to note that financial aid opportunities and requirements may differ from those at UC Berkeley. It is recommended to research the financial aid options and requirements of the specific Canadian college you are interested in.

5. Are there any resources or programs to help with the transfer process from UC Berkeley to Canadian colleges?

There are a variety of resources and programs available to assist with the transfer process from UC Berkeley to Canadian colleges. These may include transfer advisors, workshops, and online resources provided by the college or external organizations. Additionally, some colleges may have specific transfer programs or partnerships with UC Berkeley that can help facilitate the transfer process.