Transfer function algebraic manipulation

In summary, the homework statement says that someone is trying to solve a problem involving a function g(s) and a time constant k, but they are not clever enough to do it right. They tried factoring the denominator and taking out certain constants, but this did not work. They are almost done, but they need to combine kp and -1.43 to get the correct form.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2015-11-7_14-2-6.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if I am just stupid, but I can't see how to make this manipulation. I tried factoring the denominator

$$ g_{p} = \frac {-1.43}{(s-1.399)(s+5.086)} $$
Then take out -1.399 and 5.086
$$ g_{p} = \frac {-1.43}{-1.399(\frac {-1}{1.399}s + 1)5.086(\frac {1}{5.086}s+1)} $$
But I know this won't work, and I am not clever enough right now to come up with the right way to manipulate this thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 91494

Homework Equations

I don't know if I am just stupid, but I can't see how to make this manipulation. I tried factoring the denominator

$$ g_{p} = \frac {-1.43}{-1.399(\frac {-1}{1.399}s + 1)5.086(\frac {1}{5.086}s+1)} $$
But I know this won't work, and I am not clever enough right now to come up with the right way to manipulate this thing.

Your manipulations are correct; it is just that one of your constants ##\tau_i## is negative. If that is not allowed, there must be something wrong with the original ##g_p(s)##.

Likes gfd43tg
The negative time constant is allowed, which is what makes it unstable. My algebra is weak, so for some reason I had it in my head that if I multiplied my result out, I would come up with something different from the original transfer function!

Maylis said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 91494

Homework Equations

You've almost got the form of gp(s) that is specified, you just need to combine all the constants in the numerator and the denominator.

Hint: kp ≠ -1.43 in the final form.

1. What is a transfer function in algebraic manipulation?

A transfer function in algebraic manipulation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between input and output signals in a system. It is commonly used in control systems to analyze the behavior of a system and design appropriate control strategies.

2. How is a transfer function derived?

A transfer function is derived by taking the Laplace transform of the system's differential equations. This converts the time-domain representation of the system into the frequency-domain representation, allowing for easier analysis and manipulation.

3. What are the benefits of using transfer function algebraic manipulation?

Transfer function algebraic manipulation allows for the simplification and manipulation of complex systems, making it easier to analyze and design control strategies. It also provides insight into the stability and performance of a system.

4. What are the limitations of using transfer function algebraic manipulation?

Transfer function algebraic manipulation assumes that the system is linear and time-invariant, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. It also requires a thorough understanding of mathematical concepts, making it difficult for non-experts to use.

5. How is transfer function algebraic manipulation used in real-world applications?

Transfer function algebraic manipulation is widely used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to design and analyze control systems, model the behavior of physical systems, and predict the response of a system to different inputs.