Do We Need Boundaries for Fraction Equations?

In summary: No, 0s would still be in the denominator.You can only cancel ##a+b - x## if this expression is not zero. Whenever you cancel anything like this, you automatically have to write "or ##a + b - x = 0##.This rule can be expressed as:$$ac = bc \ \Rightarrow \ a = b \ \text{or} \ c = 0$$
Callmelucky
Homework Statement
Do we always need to exclude solutions that would give 0 in the denominator of a fraction?
Relevant Equations
1/x
When working with fractions and when we have a fraction or equation with fractions like this one for example ##\frac{x}{x-1}+\frac{x}{x+1}=\frac{9}{4}## do we always need to set boundaries? Like, do we always need to write that x can't be a number that would give the denominator 0? In this particular case x can't be 1 and -1. Because that would equal 0 and we can't have 0 in the denominator.

I know it's kind of a stupid question and the answer is kind of obvious but I am not sure if that should be stated in the problem by the author or if I am supposed to do that.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Callmelucky said:
Homework Statement:: Do we always need to exclude solutions that would give 0 in the denominator of a fraction?
Relevant Equations:: 1/x

When working with fractions and when we have a fraction or equation with fractions like this one for example ##\frac{x}{x-1}+\frac{x}{x+1}=\frac{9}{4}## do we always need to set boundaries? Like, do we always need to write that x can't be a number that would give the denominator 0? In this particular case x can't be 1 and -1. Because that would equal 0 and we can't have 0 in the denominator.

I know it's kind of a stupid question and the answer is kind of obvious but I am not sure if that should be stated in the problem by the author or if I am supposed to do that.

Thank you.
You should not call it a solution point. You should keep track of those invalid points and make sure that your final answer does not include them as valid.

ADDED: Sometimes intermediate steps are not valid for certain x-values. Although they don't work in the intermediate calculation, those x-values should be checked in the original problem. They might work.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD, topsquark, Callmelucky and 1 other person
FactChecker said:
You should not call it a solution point. You should keep track of those invalid points and make sure that your final answer does not include them as valid.
Thank you.

Callmelucky said:
When working with fractions and when we have a fraction or equation with fractions like this one for example ##\frac{x}{x-1}+\frac{x}{x+1}=\frac{9}{4}## do we always need to set boundaries?
It's fairly clear in the equation above that x can be neither 1 nor -1.
If you multiply both sides of this equation by ##4(x - 1)(x + 1)## you get ##4x(x + 1) + 4x(x - 1) = 9##. At this point you should* state ##x \ne 1## and ##x \ne -1##, since there are no apparent restrictions on the possible solutions for x.
(* - by "should" I mean, if you don't do this, you are opening yourself up to trouble.)

Here's a different problem (admittedly very contrived) that shows why it's important to list restrictions:
##\frac{x^2 -1}{x - 1} + \frac 1 {x - 1} = \frac 1{x - 1}##

If we blithely multiply both sides by x - 1, we get ##x^2 - 1 + 1 = 1##, which simplifies to ##x^2 = 1##, with solutions ##x = \pm 1##. One of these is a solution to the original equation and the other is not.

Likes PeroK and Callmelucky
I know, I was just confused because in some problems it's stated by the author that x can't be a number that would make a denominator 0. So I didn't know if I was supposed to write what x can't be or not.

I have another question, about something I haven't seen before.

Here is the screenshot from photomath app(pic below).

It obviously makes sense, and the solutions do match with ones in my textbook. But I didn't expect that, I have only divided both sides with (a+b-x) and got x=c as the only solution.
Is there some kind of rule or something that would explain this.?

Thank you.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-12-20 at 09.29.12.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-12-20 at 09.29.12.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 76
Callmelucky said:
But I didn't expect that, I have only divided both sides with (a+b-x) and got x=c as the only solution.
You can only cancel ##a+b - x## if this expression is not zero. Whenever you cancel anything like this, you automatically have to write "or ##a + b - x = 0##.

This rule can be expressed as:
$$ac = bc \ \Rightarrow \ a = b \ \text{or} \ c = 0$$

• Informative
Likes Callmelucky
PeroK said:
You can only cancel ##a+b - x## if this expression is not zero. Whenever you cancel anything like this, you automatically have to write "or ##a + b - x = 0##.

This rule can be expressed as:
$$ac = bc \ \Rightarrow \ a = b \ \text{or} \ c = 0$$
I see, thank you.

When the equation is set by the author at the beginning, does that automatically mean that there are no 0s in the denominator?
For example, I have an equation like this ##\frac{1}{a+b+x}=\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{x}## and I want to add stuff on the right side and in order to do that I need the smallest common denominator, which is abx, but if any of them is 0 I can't do that.

Thank you

Callmelucky said:
When the equation is set by the author at the beginning, does that automatically mean that there are no 0s in the denominator?
For example, I have an equation like this ##\frac{1}{a+b+x}=\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{x}## and I want to add stuff on the right side and in order to do that I need the smallest common denominator, which is abx, but if any of them is 0 I can't do that.

Thank you
If any of these is zero, then one of your fractions is undefined. The original equation implies that none of the denominators is zero.

Likes Callmelucky
PeroK said:
If any of these is zero, then one of your fractions is undefined. The original equation implies that none of the denominators is zero.
Thank you.
There is one more thing, if I multiply both sides with (a+b+x)(abx) do I need to write that a+b+x##\neq##0 and a##\neq##0, b##\neq##0, x##\neq##0. Because on the left side a can be 0 so can b and x. In that case that would not apply to all a's and b's.
Thank you.

Likes PeroK
You should note those things to the best of your ability. It can be difficult to keep track of all the exceptions. It is always good to check your final answers in the original equations. That way, any division by zero will become apparent.

Callmelucky said:
Thank you.
There is one more thing, if I multiply both sides with (a+b+x)(abx) do I need to write that a+b+x##\neq##0 and a##\neq##0, b##\neq##0, x##\neq##0. Because on the left side a can be 0 so can b and x. In that case that would not apply to all a's and b's.
Thank you.
Technically, that is implied by your original equation and could be stated explicitly at the beginning.

If at any stage you divide by a quantity, then you introduce an additional constraint that that quantity is non zero.

Likes Callmelucky
PeroK said:
Technically, that is implied by your original equation and could be stated explicitly at the beginning.

If at any stage you divide by a quantity, then you introduce an additional constraint that that quantity is non zero.
Thank you. But what if it happens that one of the denominators becomes 0 somewhere in the procedure? That fraction is invalid, but if it happens, does that mean that we just leave that fraction out of the equation and keep going with the procedure or something else?

Callmelucky said:
Thank you. But what if it happens that one of the denominators becomes 0 somewhere in the procedure? That fraction is invalid, but if it happens, does that mean that we just leave that fraction out of the equation and keep going with the procedure or something else?
You'll need to provide an example of what you mean by that.

PeroK said:
You'll need to provide an example of what you mean by that.
for example if equation ##\frac{1}{a+b+x}=\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{x}## is step in solving some other equation and it happens for a to be 0. The denominator on the left side will not be 0 and the rest of the stuff on the right side is valid. Is that then ##\frac{1}{b+x}=\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{x}##
It's not from the problem, it's just curiosity, I'm not even sure if that can happen.

If you know ##a =0##, then you can replace ##a## by ##0##.

PeroK said:
If you know ##a =0##, then you can replace ##a## by ##0##.
I know that but what happens with fraction 1/0, and with equation after plugging that in? My calculator says math error. Does that mean that the entire equation is invalid?

For example ##\frac{1}{b+x}=\frac{1}{0}+\frac{1}{2}##. My calculator gives error on ##\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{0}+\frac{1}{2}##

Callmelucky said:
I know that but what happens with fraction 1/0, and with equation after plugging that in? My calculator says math error. Does that mean that the entire equation is invalid?
Yes. The entire equation is invalid.

Likes Callmelucky
Callmelucky said:
for example if equation ##\frac{1}{a+b+x}=\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{x}## is step in solving some other equation and it happens for a to be 0. The denominator on the left side will not be 0 and the rest of the stuff on the right side is valid. Is that then ##\frac{1}{b+x}=\frac{1}{b}+\frac{1}{x}##
It's not from the problem, it's just curiosity, I'm not even sure if that can happen.
This makes no sense. That first equation is not valid with ##a =0##.

PeroK said:
Yes. The entire equation is invalid.
this is what I wanted to know. Thank you.

Callmelucky said:
I have another question, about something I haven't seen before.

Here is the screenshot from photomath app(pic below).

It obviously makes sense, and the solutions do match with ones in my textbook. But I didn't expect that, I have only divided both sides with (a+b-x) and got x=c as the only solution.

Thank you.
They used the zero product property.

1. What are boundaries in fraction equations?

Boundaries in fraction equations are specific values or ranges within which the variables in the equation must fall. These boundaries are usually determined by the context of the problem or the limitations of the variables.

2. Why do we need boundaries for fraction equations?

Boundaries are necessary in fraction equations to ensure that the solutions are valid and make sense in the given context. Without boundaries, the solutions may be mathematically correct but not applicable in the real world.

3. How do boundaries affect the solutions of fraction equations?

Boundaries can limit the possible solutions of fraction equations. For example, if the boundaries are set to positive numbers only, any negative solutions will be disregarded. This can significantly impact the final answer.

4. Can boundaries be changed in fraction equations?

Yes, boundaries can be changed in fraction equations. In some cases, it may be necessary to adjust the boundaries to better fit the problem or to get a more accurate solution. However, the boundaries should always be clearly defined and justified.

5. Are boundaries always necessary in fraction equations?

No, boundaries are not always necessary in fraction equations. In some cases, the problem may not have any specific limitations or restrictions on the variables, and therefore, no boundaries are needed. However, it is always important to consider the context of the problem before determining if boundaries are necessary.