Transfer function of AC Transformer

In summary, the output voltage is proportional to the displacement x, and you will need to do the inverse transform to solve for x.
Lord Doppler
Homework Statement
For the following system you will find its transfer function Vo (s) / P (s). East
system produces a voltage signal as a function of the applied gauge pressure
at the core of a Linear Variable Differential Transformer (LVDT), which
supplies an A.C. voltage of magnitude proportional to the displacement of the nucleus.
(Only consider positive displacements.)
Relevant Equations
P= F/A
Friction force = bx'
I'm solving this exercise, first I did a force diagram for the transformer nucleus and I got this:

∑Fx = ma
P(t) - Fk - Fb = ma
P(t) = mx''+ bx' + kx

So I got that dynamic equation, my question is, after transform that dynamic equation to Laplace Domain how can I relate it with the Output Voltage, I'm not sure, I obtain this:

X(s)/P(s) = 1/ms^2 + bs + k

And I need Vo(s)/P(s)

Thank you for your support

1616609607617.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The output voltage (AC) is just proportional to the displacement. Since they said only consider positive displacement, you can ignore the sign change at zero; you're only operating on one side of that graph. So, the output voltage is just a constant times the displacement x, as shown in the graph. You will have to do the inverse transform to solve for x, assuming you want the output voltage in the time domain. But they only asked for the s domain, so you're answer lies in the graph that shows the relationship between x and v.

Likes Lord Doppler
DaveE said:
The output voltage (AC) is just proportional to the displacement. Since they said only consider positive displacement, you can ignore the sign change at zero; you're only operating on one side of that graph. So, the output voltage is just a constant times the displacement x, as shown in the graph. You will have to do the inverse transform to solve for x, assuming you want the output voltage in the time domain. But they only asked for the s domain, so you're answer lies in the graph that shows the relationship between x and v.
So, the relation I found, Vo = mX like you said, then X=Vo / m. I only replace X in the transfer function I got first?
I obtain that Vo(s)/P(s) = m / Ms^2 + bs + k ; where m is the slope of the graph and M the mass of the transformer nucleus, is correct?

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the output of a system changes in response to changes in the input.

2. How does a transfer function apply to AC transformers?

In the context of AC transformers, the transfer function describes the relationship between the input voltage and the output voltage. It takes into account the transformer's turns ratio, which determines the amount of voltage change between the input and output.

3. What are the components of a transfer function for an AC transformer?

The components of a transfer function for an AC transformer include the transformer's turns ratio, the input voltage, and the output voltage. It may also take into account factors such as the frequency and phase of the input signal.

4. How is the transfer function of an AC transformer calculated?

The transfer function of an AC transformer is calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. This can be represented as a ratio or as a mathematical equation, depending on the specific transformer and the desired level of accuracy.

5. Why is the transfer function of an AC transformer important?

The transfer function of an AC transformer is important because it allows us to understand and predict how the transformer will behave in different situations. It also helps us to design and optimize transformer circuits for specific applications, such as power distribution or voltage conversion.