Transferring to UCSC: My Worries and Plans

• Admissions
  • Thread starter Zeppelin34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transferring
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of TAG (Transfer Admission Guarantee) to transfer from a California community college to UCSC. The participants express concern about being rejected and discuss the requirements for TAG. It is mentioned that the program is not a guarantee and that students may not get into their desired major. However, it is recommended to meet all the requirements to increase chances of acceptance. The conversation also mentions other programs, such as ULink, that can help with transferring to UC. The topic of not knowing about these programs or not needing them is also brought up. The conversation ends with good luck wishes for the transfer process.
Zeppelin34
The topic basically says it all, sorry if it shouldn't be that long but I'm new. First and foremost I must say that I'm planning on transferring from a California community college to UCSC using the TAG, I'm worried that I'll be rejected for some reason or another.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bruce Stiff said:
The topic basically says it all, sorry if it shouldn't be that long but I'm new. First and foremost I must say that I'm planning on transferring from a California community college to UCSC using the TAG, I'm worried that I'll be rejected for some reason or another.

You won't be rejected, but you may not get your first choice of major. If your CCC GPA is good (3.5+), I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks for the response it's just that the whole TAG process seems too good to be true, anybody who loves what there learning shouldn't have a problem doing well in that subject. It's usually the extras that get them, clubs and so fourth, not being apart of any or volunteer work. I was wondering if not having any of that to go along with the TAG might hurt your chances?

Bruce Stiff said:
Thanks for the response it's just that the whole TAG process seems too good to be true, anybody who loves what there learning shouldn't have a problem doing well in that subject. It's usually the extras that get them, clubs and so fourth, not being apart of any or volunteer work. I was wondering if not having any of that to go along with the TAG might hurt your chances?

Nope, it is what it is, at least when I looked into it 4+ years ago. Basically, complete igetc, have 3.0+ GPA and apply to schools that participate in TAG. The only drawback is if your major is impacted, you may not be able to transfer into that major depending on transfer GPA.

Turns out you don't even need IGETC, just major prep listed here: http://admissions.ucsc.edu/apply/transfer-students/tag.html

Still has the same GPA requirement, transfer major stuff...

Likes Zeppelin34
Thanks, yeah I keep a keen eye on that website. It's just I've seen a lot of people transferring and being rejected and wondering why they don't use the TAG, I asked one guy that's in my intro physics class and he says it's "not a forsure thing" and the counselors are always saying "nothing is guaranteed" so I wondered.

Bruce Stiff said:
Thanks, yeah I keep a keen eye on that website. It's just I've seen a lot of people transferring and being rejected and wondering why they don't use the TAG, I asked one guy that's in my intro physics class and he says it's "not a forsure thing" and the counselors are always saying "nothing is guaranteed" so I wondered.

Nothing is ever guaranteed, even with TAG you might not get into the major you wanted. If you meet all the requirements you will get in though.

I wager to bet a lot of students don't know about TAG, or ULink, or any of the other programs to help them get into UC. There are also a lot of students who're rather marginal at CC, who're looking to get into "easier schools" compared to the UC campuses. There is also a significant portion who aren't looking to transfer for anything, and are there because their parents threatened to kick them out if they didn't go to school. Normally "good students" (read high GPA's) are trying for the Berkeley moonshot, which doesn't participate in TAG or ULink or ect so they never actually sign up for the programs.

I used ULink for UCSD, probably didn't need to though.

True, at the same time almost all accepted transfers to uc are from ccc according to the uc website, so I figure l most likely misunderstood the counselor when we were discussing it.

Thanks for you time dude [emoji2][emoji111]

Likes Student100
Your*

Likes Student100
Bruce Stiff said:
Your*
In the lower right corner of the posts you make, you can hit edit if you make a mistake. :cool:

Good luck at UC!

:welcome:

Likes Zeppelin34
Cool lol I did not know that

Thanks [emoji111]️

1. What are the requirements for transferring to UCSC?

The requirements for transferring to UCSC vary depending on your major and the specific college you are applying to. Generally, you will need to have completed a certain number of transferable units, have a minimum GPA, and have completed specific coursework. It is important to check with UCSC's transfer admissions website for the most up-to-date requirements for your desired major.

2. Can I transfer to UCSC without completing all of my general education requirements?

It is possible to transfer to UCSC without completing all of your general education requirements, but it may be more competitive. UCSC gives preference to applicants who have completed all of their general education requirements. It is recommended to complete as many general education courses as possible before transferring.

3. How do I know if my credits will transfer to UCSC?

You can use UCSC's Assist.org website to see how your coursework from your current college will transfer to UCSC. This website will show you which courses are equivalent to UCSC courses and which courses will fulfill specific requirements. It is important to consult with an academic advisor at both your current college and UCSC to ensure a smooth transfer of credits.

4. What are some tips for a successful transfer to UCSC?

Some tips for a successful transfer to UCSC include maintaining a high GPA, completing all of your transferable units, and taking courses that align with your desired major. It is also helpful to get involved in extracurricular activities and demonstrate leadership and community involvement. Additionally, it is important to thoroughly research the requirements for your desired major and make sure you are on track to fulfill them.

5. What resources are available to help me with my transfer to UCSC?

UCSC offers a variety of resources to help students with their transfer process. These include transfer admissions counselors who can answer specific questions, workshops and information sessions, and online resources such as the Transfer Admissions Guide. It is also recommended to attend a transfer orientation to learn more about the campus and resources available to transfer students.