Transferring to US to do PHD from UK Bsc Physics

In summary, the speaker is an international student studying at Imperial College London for a BSC degree in Theoretical Physics. They are considering doing their PhD in the US and are wondering about their chances of securing funding. They are also facing a dilemma about potentially losing their chance to do a Master's in the UK if they apply for a US PhD. The speaker also mentions their school's ranking and their desire to work in a strong research group. They are seeking advice and insight into the process of applying for US grad schools.
jimmytesco
Hi,everyone. I'm from asia, doing a BSC degree Theoretical physics in Imperial college London, currently finished my second year and got approximately 75% .. As an international student, I understand that very high academic achievement is needed to get any source of funding e.g. scholarship from any university institution in UK, for example, Imperial runs a programme which provides full funding for student apart from UK, however there are only 50 places over the whole college. Therefore, I 'm thinking of doing my Phd in USA, I wonder if anyone has similar background or experience before?

I haven't yet started preparing GRE general test and subject test, I'm facing a two-side dilemma , if I apply for USA phd , I risk losing my chance to do my Msc in UK since I 'm trying to apply the one which starts in Feb 2016, I'm graduating in June 2015, I imagine I will have to confirm my UK offer in Sep, and I would not have heard any result back from US university until then.What can I do?

Lastly,I would like to know how good do I need to be to secure funding from USA university? I'm applying for the top 50 US schools, and University California Berkeley is probably the level of university I'm going to, as I want to work in a strong research group with enthusiatic people. Thank you in advance, I saw many interesting dicussions going on in this forum , this is the first time of me Posting lol .

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about schools in the UK, but if your school is on the level of UC Berkeley, you're at one of the best and should certainly get into a top 50 us grad school without too much trouble. I believe Berkeley generally ranks in the top 10. Rankings are all subjective. It's in my top 10.

For the US, people take the physics gre at the beginning of their senior year. I took my regular gre over summer before senior year. If you are graduating in a year, you should maybe be thinking about taking them soon.

It sounds like you need to decide if you want to stay in the Uk or come here to the US. That's a personal decision, I'm sure the Uk is great too.

if your school is on the level of UC Berkeley

Whichever ranking table you want to believe, IC is in the top 20 world-wide. If you want to claim it's in the top 10 world wide in physics, you can find a ranking table to support that.

IC is generally considered to be #3 in the UK, behind Oxford and Cambridge. Unlike Oxbridge, it is focused only on science and technology, as its full name implies.

RE:F=qE and AlephZero, thanks for clarifying, IC is top 10 uni in the world, I'm applying for UCB because my friend is living there, lol you guys didn't give me good advices but it's alright. I decided not to go to USA until I finish my Msc.

jimmytesco said:
lol you guys didn't give me good advices but it's alright..
You could have said thank you both for bothering to read my OP and write something nice instead of saying you guys didn't give me good advice, but it's ok.

I tried to give you some insight into what and when you'd need to take the gre's for us grad schools. I won't be bothering to read any more threads you make in the future.

F=qE said:
You could have said thank you both for bothering to read my OP and write something nice instead of saying you guys didn't give me good advice, but it's ok.

I tried to give you some insight into what and when you'd need to take the gre's for us grad schools. I won't be bothering to read any more threads you make in the future.

It's true that you didn't give any helpful advice, what are you making fuss about? I didn't blame you for not making contribution, I was just stating "facts", I 'm trying to change the topic and avoid arguments over comparing imperial and ucb. All i know they are both good unis .

1. How do I transfer from a UK BSc in Physics to a PhD program in the US?

In order to transfer from a UK BSc in Physics to a PhD program in the US, you will need to research and apply to specific universities that offer the program you are interested in. Each university may have different requirements and application processes, so it is important to thoroughly research and follow the instructions provided by each institution. Additionally, you may need to take standardized tests such as the GRE and submit proof of English proficiency.

2. What are the main differences between a UK BSc and a US PhD in Physics?

The main difference between a UK BSc and a US PhD in Physics is the length of the program and the focus of the coursework. A UK BSc typically takes three years to complete, while a US PhD can take anywhere from 4-7 years. Additionally, a UK BSc focuses more on general physics courses, while a US PhD program allows students to specialize in a specific area of physics.

3. Will my UK BSc in Physics be recognized in the US for a PhD program?

Yes, your UK BSc in Physics will be recognized in the US for a PhD program. However, you may need to provide additional documents such as transcripts and course descriptions to demonstrate that your degree is equivalent to a US Bachelor's degree. It is important to research the specific requirements of each university you are applying to in order to ensure your degree will be recognized.

4. Are there any financial considerations when transferring from a UK BSc to a US PhD program?

Yes, there are financial considerations when transferring from a UK BSc to a US PhD program. In addition to tuition and fees, you may also need to consider the cost of living in the US, as well as potential visa fees and travel expenses. It is important to research and plan for these expenses in advance, and also look into potential funding opportunities such as scholarships, grants, and assistantships.

5. Can I transfer credits from my UK BSc to a US PhD program?

Yes, you may be able to transfer credits from your UK BSc to a US PhD program, but it will ultimately depend on the policies of the specific university you are transferring to. Some universities may allow you to transfer a certain number of credits, while others may require you to retake certain courses. It is important to research the transfer credit policies of each university before applying.