Transformation from de Sitter to flat spacetime coordinates

In summary, the metric for de Sitter spacetime can be written in terms of the coordinates (u,v), and the general transformation law is given by
Markus Kahn
Homework Statement
A metric in a two-dimensional spacetime with coordinates ##(u,v)## is
$$d s^{2}=d u^{2}-u^{2} d v^{2}.$$
Transform the line element ##ds^2## from ##(u, v)## to new coordinates ##(x, t)## defined by
$$x=u \cosh v, \quad t=u \sinh v.$$
Relevant Equations
All given above.
Let me begin by stating that I'm aware of the fact that this is a metric of de Sitter spacetime, aka I know the solution, my problem is getting there. My idea/approach so far: in the coordinates ##(u,v)## the metric is given by
$$g_{\mu\nu}= \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0\\ 0 & -u^2\end{pmatrix}.$$
The general transformation law for the metric is given by
$$\bar{g}_{\alpha\beta} = g_{\mu\nu}\frac{\partial x^\mu}{\partial\bar x ^\alpha}\frac{\partial x^\nu}{\partial\bar x ^\beta}.$$ So we first need ##u(x,t)## and ##t(u,v)##, which are given by
$$u = \sqrt{x^2-t^2}\quad \text{and}\quad v=\mathrm{arctanh}(t/x).$$
We now can calculate
$$\begin{align*}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} &= \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2-t^2}}, &\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = - \frac{t}{\sqrt{x^2-t^2}} \\
\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} &= -\frac{t}{x^2}\frac{1}{1-\frac{t^2}{x^2}}, &\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{x}\frac{1}{1-\frac{t^2}{x^2}}\end{align*}.$$
With this we find
$$\begin{align*}
\bar g _ {xx} &=
g_{uu} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x }\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + g_{vv} \frac{\partial v}{\partial x }\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\\
&=\frac{x^2}{x^2-t^2}+ (x^2-t^2) \frac{t^2}{x^4}\frac{1}{(1-\frac{t^2}{x^2})^2} \neq \pm 1,
\end{align*} $$
which (I think) it should be. So, am I doing something fundamentally wrong? If not, where exactly do I make my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Markus Kahn said:
With this we find
$$
\bar g _ {xx} =
g_{uu} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x }\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + g_{vv} \frac{\partial v}{\partial x }\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}\\
=\frac{x^2}{x^2-t^2}+ (x^2-t^2) \frac{t^2}{x^4}\frac{1}{(1-\frac{t^2}{x^2})^2} \neq \pm 1
$$
Note that ##g_{vv} = -u^2##. Did you include the negative sign when you substituted for ##g_{vv}##?

Likes JD_PM, Markus Kahn and nrqed
You were right, there is a minus sing missing and with it everything works out... Thanks for the help!

1. What is the de Sitter spacetime and how does it differ from flat spacetime?

The de Sitter spacetime is a solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity, which describes the curvature of spacetime. It is characterized by a positive cosmological constant, indicating a universe with a constant expansion rate. Unlike flat spacetime, which has no curvature, de Sitter spacetime has a positive curvature and can be thought of as a "spherical" universe.

2. Why would one want to transform from de Sitter to flat spacetime coordinates?

There are several reasons why one might want to transform from de Sitter to flat spacetime coordinates. One reason could be to simplify calculations and make them more manageable. Another reason could be to better understand the behavior of physical systems in different types of spacetime. Additionally, in certain cosmological models, it may be necessary to transform between different coordinate systems to accurately describe the evolution of the universe.

3. What are some common methods for transforming from de Sitter to flat spacetime coordinates?

There are several methods for transforming between coordinate systems, but one common method for transforming from de Sitter to flat spacetime coordinates is through the use of conformal transformations. These transformations preserve the angles between curves on the manifold, allowing for a smooth transition between different coordinate systems.

4. Are there any limitations or difficulties in performing a transformation from de Sitter to flat spacetime coordinates?

While transforming between coordinate systems can be useful, it is not always a straightforward process. In some cases, the transformation equations may be complex and difficult to solve, and in others, certain assumptions or approximations may need to be made. Additionally, the transformation may only be applicable for certain regions or scales within the spacetime, and may not accurately describe the entire system.

5. How does the transformation from de Sitter to flat spacetime coordinates impact our understanding of the universe?

The transformation from de Sitter to flat spacetime coordinates can provide valuable insights into the behavior of physical systems and the evolution of the universe. By understanding how different coordinate systems relate to one another, we can gain a better understanding of the underlying physics and make predictions about the behavior of the universe on various scales. This transformation also allows us to compare different models and theories and test their validity in different spacetime environments.