Transformation of a 2x2 matrix with Pauli matrices

In summary, the transformation of ##\sigma## under SU(2) can be written as ##\sigma' = U\sigma U^{\dagger}## where ##U = \exp(i\alpha \cdot \tau/2)## and ##\alpha = (\alpha_1, \alpha_2, \alpha_3)## are small real parameters. Additionally, it can be shown that ##\sigma'## is hermitian and traceless, and that det ##\sigma'## = det ##\sigma##. Furthermore, the transformation of ##\phi## under SU(2) can be related to the transformation of ##\sigma## by a rotation.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose the vector ##\phi## transforms under SU(2) as: $$\phi' = (\exp(-i \alpha \cdot t))_{ij}\phi_j,$$ where ## (t_j)_{kl} = −i \epsilon_{jkl}## and ##j, k, l \in \left\{1, 2, 3\right\}.##

Based on ##\phi,## we define the ##2 \times 2## matrix ##\sigma = \tau \cdot \phi## where ##\tau## are the Pauli matrices.

1) Assume that the real parameters ##\alpha = (\alpha_1, \alpha_2, \alpha_3)## are small and show, by expanding up to first order in ##\alpha##, that the transformation law for the ##2 \times 2## matrix ##\sigma## is given by ##\sigma \rightarrow \sigma' = U\sigma U^{\dagger}## where ##U = \exp(i\alpha \cdot \tau/2)##

(b) By construction, ##\sigma## is hermitian and traceless. Verify that ##\sigma'## is also hermitian and traceless, and that det ##\sigma'## = det ##\sigma##. Show that ##\phi'## and ##\phi## are related by a rotation.

Homework Equations

The ##(t_j)_{kl}## are 3 matrices each of which are 3x3. These correspond to matrices in the adjoint representation of SU(2). I think I can write ##\tau_i \rightarrow u\tau_i u^{\dagger}##, where ##u \approx 1 + i \beta^a \tau^b ## with ##u \in SU(2)## - i.e can decompose a general group element in terms of the lie algebra and since the taus are 2x2 matrices the corresponding representation of the generators are also pauli matrices. (I think?)

The Attempt at a Solution

##\sigma_{ij} \rightarrow (\tau_k' \phi_k')_{ij}##. Using the transformation of the taus above and the algebra ##[\tau_a/2, \tau_b/2] = i/2 \epsilon_{abc} \tau_c## I get that $$\tau_k' = \tau_k + 2i \beta_a \epsilon_{akm}\tau_m$$

The transformation of ##\phi## is given in the question and, as far as I understand, it is transforming in the adjoint representation of SU(2).

$$\phi_k' = (1-i\alpha^b(t^b)_{kl})\phi_l = (\delta_{kl} - i \alpha^b (-i \epsilon_{bkl}))\phi_l = \phi_k - \alpha^b \epsilon_{bkl} \phi_l$$

Putting these two transformations together (that of ##\phi## and that of the ##\tau_k## ) I don't get something resembling the answer. Did I go wrong somewhere?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach seems to be correct, but there are a few errors in your calculations.

First, the transformation of ##\tau_k## should be written as $$\tau_k' = \tau_k + \frac{i}{2}\alpha_a\epsilon_{akm}\tau_m,$$ as the ##\alpha##'s are real parameters, not matrices. This will change the sign of the imaginary term in your expression for ##\tau_k'##.

Second, the transformation of ##\phi_k## should be written as $$\phi_k' = \phi_k - \frac{1}{2}\alpha_a\epsilon_{akl}\phi_l,$$ as the ##\tau_k##'s are matrices, not numbers. This will change the sign of the imaginary term in your expression for ##\phi_k'##.

Finally, when putting the two transformations together, you should get ##\tau_k' \phi_k' = (\tau_k + \frac{i}{2}\alpha_a\epsilon_{akm}\tau_m)(\phi_k - \frac{1}{2}\alpha_a\epsilon_{akl}\phi_l)##. Expanding this out and keeping terms up to first order in ##\alpha## will give you the desired result.

1. What are the Pauli matrices?

The Pauli matrices are a set of three 2x2 matrices in linear algebra, named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli. They are commonly denoted as σ1, σ2, and σ3, and are used to represent spin states in quantum mechanics.

2. How are the Pauli matrices related to transformation of a 2x2 matrix?

The Pauli matrices can be used to transform a 2x2 matrix through a process called matrix multiplication. By multiplying a 2x2 matrix with the corresponding Pauli matrix, the matrix undergoes a transformation and the resulting matrix is a linear combination of the original matrix's rows or columns.

3. Can the Pauli matrices be used for any 2x2 matrix transformation?

No, the Pauli matrices are specifically designed for transformations of 2x2 matrices in quantum mechanics and are not suitable for all types of matrix transformations. They are most commonly used in quantum computing and quantum information theory.

4. What are the properties of the Pauli matrices?

The Pauli matrices are all Hermitian, unitary, and traceless. This means that they are self-adjoint, their inverse is equal to their conjugate transpose, and the sum of their diagonal elements is equal to zero. These properties make them useful in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics.

5. How do the Pauli matrices relate to quantum mechanics?

The Pauli matrices were originally developed to represent spin states in quantum mechanics, but they are also used in other areas of quantum physics. They are essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and are used in many quantum algorithms and protocols.