Transforming Functions: Solving g(x) = 2f(-x+(3/2))

In summary, to find g(x) given f(x)=|x-1/2|-5, you need to replace x in the f(x) formula with -x + (3/2) and then multiply the result by 2. This will give you g(x)=2f(t)|t=−x+3/2, which simplifies to g(x)=2|-x+1|-10.
AAAA

Homework Statement

If f(x)=|x-1/2|-5 determine g(x)=2f(-x+(3/2))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I tried to factor out the k-value in the g(x) formula.
So I was left with:

g(x)=2f(-1)(x-3/2)

Then I multiply f(x) by 2 and am left with:
g(x)=2|x-(1/2)|-10

Then I subtract the 3/2 from 1/2 and am left with -2:
g(x)=2|x-2|-10

Then I apply the negative k-value and am left with
g(x)=2|-x+2|-10I checked on desmos, and that answer is wrong. It should be:
g(x)=2|-x+1|-10
I've asked friends, looked online, in my textbook, and in my notes for things relating to this, and after 3 hours, came up empty-handed. If anyone could tell me where I went wrong. I would be very grateful. If you could also go step-by-step solving this problem, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AAAA said:

Homework Statement

If f(x)=|x-1/2|-5 determine g(x)=2f(-x+(3/2))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I tried to factor out the k-value in the g(x) formula.
So I was left with:

g(x)=2f(-1)(x-3/2)

Then I multiply f(x) by 2 and am left with:
g(x)=2|x-(1/2)|-10

Then I subtract the 3/2 from 1/2 and am left with -2:
g(x)=2|x-2|-10

Then I apply the negative k-value and am left with
g(x)=2|-x+2|-10I checked on desmos, and that answer is wrong. It should be:
g(x)=2|-x+1|-10
I've asked friends, looked online, in my textbook, and in my notes for things relating to this, and after 3 hours, came up empty-handed. If anyone could tell me where I went wrong. I would be very grateful. If you could also go step-by-step solving this problem, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

To get g(x), replace x everywhere (in the f(x) formula) by -x + (3/2); after that, multiply the whole thing by 2. In other words, ##g(x) = 2 \left. f(t) \right|_{t = -x + 3/2}##.

Ray Vickson said:
In other words, g(x)=2f(t)|t=−x+3/2g(x) = 2 \left. f(t) \right|_{t = -x + 3/2}.

I don't follow the last bit. I think the absolute value sign got messed up. Thanks for responding!

I get it now! Thanks so much! Now I can finally move on :smile:

AAAA said:
I don't follow the last bit. I think the absolute value sign got messed up. Thanks for responding!

Just to be clear: the notation ##f(t)|_{t = u}## does NOT mean there is a missing absolute-value sign. The notation is shorthand for "##f(t)##, evaluated at ##t = u##". Of course, that is just ##f(u)##, but since you seemed to be confused by notation such as ##f(-x + 3/2)## (that is, where ##u = -x + 3/2##) I used the alternate notation instead. It is similar to the notation used in expressing definite integrals, such as
[tex] \int f(x) \, dx = F(x) \Rightarrow \int_a^b f(x) \, dx = F(x)|_{x=a}^{b} = F(b) - F(a). [/tex]

Related to Transforming Functions: Solving g(x) = 2f(-x+(3/2))

1. What is a transforming function?

A transforming function is a mathematical concept that represents a relationship between the input and output values. It is used to transform one set of data into another set of data by applying a specific rule or formula.

2. How do you identify a transforming function?

A transforming function can be identified by looking for specific patterns in the data, such as linear or exponential growth, or by using mathematical techniques like graphing or algebraic manipulation.

3. What are some common transforming functions?

Some common transforming functions include linear functions, quadratic functions, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions.

4. What are the key properties of a transforming function?

The key properties of a transforming function include the domain and range, which are the possible input and output values respectively, and the transformation rule, which determines how the input values are transformed into output values.

5. How are transforming functions used in real life?

Transforming functions are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as modeling population growth, predicting the stock market, and analyzing data in fields like economics, physics, and biology. They are also used to create visual representations of data, such as graphs and charts.