Transition Dipole Moments for Strontium

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for data on the resonant transition dipole moment for the Rydberg states of Strontium. They are asking for any relevant papers and are given suggestions to reach out to certain individuals or look into past PhD theses for more information. The person responding apologizes for not being able to do a thorough search but wishes the person luck.
thatboi
Hey all,
I am currently looking for some data on the resonant transition dipole moment for the Rydberg states of Strontium (in the literature, the square of the dipole moment is known as the "C3 coefficient"). If anyone could point me to some relevant papers that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I don't have a reference in hand for you. However, if anyone knows, it's probably these folks or these folks. You might look up who the most senior student is and send them an email. You might get lucky and that would be the easiest way! If not, I would try to get your hands on the PhD theses of past students, where you can often find this kind of supplementary info. Sorry I don't have the time to do a deep dive like this for you, but I wish you the best!

1. What is a transition dipole moment?

A transition dipole moment is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric dipole moment associated with the transition between two energy states in a molecule or atom. It is a fundamental quantity in the study of molecular and atomic spectroscopy.

2. How is the transition dipole moment for strontium measured?

The transition dipole moment for strontium can be measured using various spectroscopic techniques such as absorption, emission, and Raman spectroscopy. These techniques involve exciting the strontium atoms to higher energy states and measuring the resulting changes in the electric dipole moment.

3. What factors affect the transition dipole moment for strontium?

The transition dipole moment for strontium is affected by several factors including the electronic structure of the atom, the energy difference between the two energy states involved in the transition, and the orientation of the molecule or atom in space.

4. Why is the transition dipole moment important in the study of strontium?

The transition dipole moment is important in the study of strontium because it provides valuable information about the electronic structure and properties of the atom. It is also a key factor in understanding the interactions between strontium and other molecules or atoms in a system.

5. How does the transition dipole moment for strontium compare to other atoms?

The transition dipole moment for strontium is typically larger than that of lighter atoms such as hydrogen or helium, due to its larger atomic size and more complex electronic structure. However, it is smaller than that of heavier atoms such as barium or radium.