Translation of this conversation

In summary, A person named Mani contacted Abby via instant message and attempted to communicate with her in a language that she did not understand. Mani claimed to speak Swiss dialect of German, but it is believed to be Croatian. Abby is unsure of who Mani is and speculates that he may be a secret agent trying to involve her in a drug deal. However, it is later revealed that Mani may actually be a friend who is trying to reconnect with Abby. Due to the language barrier, they are unable to communicate effectively. Abby is advised to use a translator to understand Mani's messages.
Gale17 said:
no goran in sight here... don't see a pic...
Hate it when links die.

Let's try this.

http://pohotovost.webz.cz/pix/lkc2.jpg

http://www.600.org/tv_stars/pictures/goran_visnjic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gale17 said:
basically it says, "hi, how are you, how are you, do you understand, i don't understand you... blah blah. the german stuff, other stuff..."
Actually, the sentence that caught my eye was "volis romanticno nesto?"

I think "volis" means "do you want" and "romanticno" is obviously something to do with romance. I couldn't find "nesto" in the translator.

So, "volis romanticno nesto? might mean all kinds of things:

"You want a boyfriend, don't you?"

"You want a romantic encounter?"

It might be worse: a "romanticno" might translate as "romancer" and be the word for a "professional woman" i.e. hooker. He might be asking:

"You want to be a hooker, don't you?"

An idea he might have gotten from looking at your profile joke description.

If you don't understand exactly what the guy's saying, he could be saying anything, and you're going "OK" or whatever.

-----

You may know the story: British explorer goes up to Australian Aborigine and says: "What do you people call those animals over there that jump around on two legs, with the long tails?"

The Aborigine can't understand a word of English, so he says in his own language, "Kangaroo" which means "I don't understand."

"Ahhhh!" says the explorer, "You call them `Kangaroos'!"

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
Actually, the sentence that caught my eye was "volis romanticno nesto?"

I think "volis" means "do you want" and "romanticno" is obviously something to do with romance. I couldn't find "nesto" in the translator.

So, "volis romanticno nesto? might mean all kinds of things:

"You want a boyfriend, don't you?"

"You want a romantic encounter?"

It might be worse: a "romanticno" might translate as "romancer" and be the word for a "professional woman" i.e. hooker. He might be asking:

"You want to be a hooker, don't you?"

An idea he might have gotten from looking at your profile joke description.

If you don't understand exactly what the guy's saying, he could be saying anything, and you're going "OK" or whatever.

fantastic! no wonder I've been making so many friends lately! i just nod my head and look pretty, and all of a sudden all these boys are talking to me...

i really didn't even notice that line... i was too busy complaining that he would kiss english. but i guess it makes sense that he was so agreeable after i said "OK" heh...

Gale17 said:
but i guess it makes sense that he was so agreeable after i said "OK" heh...
You may already have agreed to marry him. You may already have agreed to move there and let him pimp you out. The second conversation may have been him telling you when to expect his arrival. You never know.

zoobyshoe said:
You may already have agreed to marry him. You may already have agreed to move there and let him pimp you out. The second conversation may have been him telling you when to expect his arrival. You never know.

score! and i thought that after my fiance left me, that i'd never get married...

i hope he doesn't track me down and force me into anything... Oh no, i need a hero to save me now! oh, whoever will help me... woe... woe is me!

Gale17 said:
Oh no, i need a hero to save me now! oh, whoever will help me... woe... woe is me!
Keep us informed on how many PMs from knights in shining armour this call for help attracts.

Gale17 said:
score! and i thought that after my fiance left me, that i'd never get married...

i hope he doesn't track me down and force me into anything... Oh no, i need a hero to save me now! oh, whoever will help me... woe... woe is me!
Fear not fair lady! I have come to save you from thy horrible stalker.