Transmission: Finite Potential Barriers & Potential Steps

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transmission through a potential barrier for particles of different masses. The WKB approximation is used to determine the probability of transmission, with the conclusion that electrons have a higher probability than protons. The concept is further explored with a question about the effect of changing the particle's mass on transmission, leading to the conclusion that in some cases, transmission can be mass dependent while in others it is not. The questioner seeks clarification on this topic and the role of potential energy in determining mass dependence.
Clueless
This may appear like a homework question, but I am not asking for answers for the question, so please don't remove this post! This is a conceptual question, and I just want to show how I came to that question.

The following question, " An electron and a proton of identical energy E encounter the same finite potential barrier (E<U) For which is the probability of transmission greatest, and why?" is answered by considering the WKB approximation (below) where there is mass dependence. The obvious answer is that the electron have the highest probability of emission.
a9df1456edca79152e2cf05f926904ba.png

Then I encountered another question, "Calculate the fraction of 25 MeV protons reflected and the fraction transmitted for a 20 MeV step. How do your answers change if the protons are replaced by electrons?" The reflection constant reduced to the point where it is obvious that there is no mass dependence. And so the obvious answer is that the answers will not change if we changed the mass of the particle.
C.PNG

I wondered how transmission is different for what seems to be very similar situations.

My guess is (and this is where I need help and clarification) that because of the fact that in the first case, potential energy is greater than the particle's energy, and in the second case it is the opposite case. But how that determines whether the transmission has a mass dependence or not (respectively) eludes me.

Or is it different because we have a potential energy barrier in the first case and a potential step in the second case? This second guess is certainly very implausible according to my current understanding, because transmission just happens twice when we consider a square potential barrier (once at the first boundary, and a second at the second boundary).

Physics news on Phys.org
I did put up a question similar to this, but perhaps the length of the question was off-putting and inappropriate for this thread.

I am just questioning a conclusion I have drawn from some questions I have done: There are some cases when transmission can be mass dependent and some cases when it is not. Whether this is true is something I am definitely uncertain about, and if it is true, I would like to know why. Because the only the indications I have gotten about mass dependence and independence for transmission (and reflection also) are mathematical, and I am not satisfied.

(Perhaps you shortened the question a little too much. :wink:)

Transmission of what?

Sorry, I am talking about transmission of electrons and protons through a potential barrier.

Clueless said:
I did put up a question similar to this, but perhaps the length of the question was off-putting and inappropriate for this thread.

It's OK to "bump" a thread (once) after at least 24 hours. I've merged your two threads.

1. What is transmission in the context of potential barriers and steps?

Transmission refers to the ability of a particle or wave to pass through a potential barrier or step. In the context of quantum mechanics, it describes the probability of a particle to pass through a barrier or step, depending on its energy and the height and width of the barrier or step.

2. How does the width and height of a potential barrier affect transmission?

The width and height of a potential barrier both play a role in determining the transmission probability. A wider barrier reduces the likelihood of transmission, while a higher barrier makes it more difficult for a particle to pass through. In general, as the barrier becomes wider or higher, the transmission probability decreases.

3. What is the difference between a potential barrier and a potential step?

A potential barrier is a region of space where the potential energy is higher than the energy of the particle, while a potential step is a region where the potential energy is lower. In both cases, the particle's energy is not enough to overcome the potential, but in a barrier, the particle must tunnel through, while in a step it can pass through without tunneling.

4. How does the energy of a particle affect transmission through a potential barrier or step?

The energy of a particle is a crucial factor in determining the transmission probability through a potential barrier or step. If the particle's energy is higher than the potential energy, it is more likely to pass through the barrier or step. However, if the particle's energy is lower than the potential energy, it will have a lower chance of transmission and may need to tunnel through.

5. What is the significance of transmission in quantum mechanics?

Transmission is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. It helps explain phenomena such as quantum tunneling and the behavior of particles in potential wells. Additionally, transmission is essential in the development of devices such as transistors and diodes, which are used in modern technology.