Transmission line: leakage current differential equation

In summary, the conversation involves a coaxial cable with internal and external conductors of different radii and a material conductivity of ##\sigma_1##. There is an imperfect dielectric with a conductivity of ##\sigma_2## between the conductors. The goal is to determine the evolution of the cable current intensity along the longitudinal coordinate z, caused by leakage currents crossing the dielectric. The approach involves using the fundamental equation div J = 0 and integrating over a section of the cable to obtain the constant ##K##, which must be proven to be equal to the per-unit length transverse conductance of the dielectric medium, ##GU##. The individual seeking help is struggling with this last step of the derivation and is
Granger

Homework Statement

I have a coaxial cable with internal conductor of radius r1 and external conductor of radii r2 and r3. The material of the conductors has a conductivity ##\sigma_1##. Between the conductors there is a imperfect dielectric of conductivity ##\sigma_2##.

Consider the approximation that cable conductors are perfect (that is, cable voltage U is constant along the longitudinal coordinate z). Determine the evolution of the cable current intensity along z, a consequence of the leakage currents crossing the imperfect dielectric.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
So, my attempt was to use the fundamental equation div J = 0. By applying the divergence in cylindrical coordinates, you obtain ##\frac{dJ_y}{dy}=0##. I thought about now integrating over a section of the cable I obtain ##\frac{dI}{dy}=K##. My question now is how do I prove that this constant should be equal to GU, where G is the per-unit length transverse conductance of the dielectric medium.

I'm only having trouble in that last step of the derivation. Can someone help me?
<mentor edit: fix latex, add ##>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Really can't anyone help me? I've been around this problem for an entire day I'm losing my mind with this, it must be a simple math trick I have no freaking idea about...

Granger said:
, you obtain ##\frac{dJ_y}{dy}=0##. I thought about now integrating over a section of the cable I obtain ##\frac{dI}{dy}=K##. My question now is how do I prove that this constant should be equal to GU, where G is the per-unit length transverse conductance of the dielectric medium.

I'm only having trouble in that last step of the derivation. Can someone help me?

I can't except except to recommend that you make imore readable by using ## (or maybe $$) in place of $ everywhere so your text will look like above

1. What is a transmission line?

A transmission line is a specialized type of electrical circuit that is used to transfer electrical energy from one point to another. It consists of two or more conductors that are separated by a dielectric material, such as air or insulating material.

2. What is leakage current in a transmission line?

Leakage current in a transmission line refers to the small amount of current that flows between the conductors and the dielectric material. This can occur due to imperfections or defects in the insulation material or due to external factors such as humidity or temperature.

3. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In the context of transmission lines, the leakage current differential equation is used to calculate the flow of current between the conductors and the dielectric material.

4. How is the leakage current differential equation derived?

The leakage current differential equation is derived from the fundamental laws of electricity, such as Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws, along with the physical properties of the transmission line, such as the capacitance and resistance of the conductors and dielectric material.

5. Why is the leakage current differential equation important?

The leakage current differential equation is important because it helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of transmission lines. By solving this equation, engineers can optimize the design and operation of transmission lines, ensuring efficient and safe transfer of electrical energy.