Transmission line transient simulation

In summary, the author found an oscillation in the voltage vs. position plot of a step function signal propagating down a lossy transmission line. He wasn't able to get rid of the oscillation, but he thinks it may be due to the lumped L and C components in his simulation.
isison
Dear all,

I am simulation a lossy transmission line like this:
http://www.ece.uci.edu/docs/hspice/hspice_2001_2-2878.jpg

with G having zero conductance (open). So it is a standard lossy transmission line with RLC components. All R, L, and C values are the same, so there is no variation from segment to segment. There are total 1000 segments being simulated in HSPICE.

The input function is a step function that goes from low to high at t=0. I look at the propagation of this signal through the transmission line at a certain time. I obtained a voltage vs. position plot like this:

upload_2015-11-10_23-53-52.png

The x-axis is the position, and y-axis is the voltage sampled at each segment.

The general shape of this transient curve makes sense to me. It is step function signal front propagates toward right. However, there is this oscillation at the signal front that I seen unable to get rid of.

What is the physical reason behind this oscillation? It's best if you can explain this in a layman term to someone who is not familiar with transmission line analysis.

Thanks!
upload_2015-11-10_23-53-52.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it is an oscillation of the lumped L and C components you used in your simulation. To test this, the frequency of the oscillation should be [itex] \omega = \frac{1}{\sqrt{}L C}[/itex]. In the real transmission line, the L and C elements are continuous distributed elements, not lumped, discrete elements. You could make the simulation more realistic by increasing the number of L and C elements and decreasing their size. For example, if you had 2000 elements, each with L/2 and C/2, the frequency of this oscillation would be twice as high. As you pass to the continuum limit, with the number of elements going to infinity and the size of each element going to zero, this oscillation will disappear.

I think phyzguy is probably right. But I don't understand your graph. Are we looking at a single point on the line as the pulse goes by? Then why is it a falling edge? Are we just scanning down the line after the pulse settled out? Remember that we will get a + reflection off the end of the line, too. Try simply hooking up a dc source and wait for everything to settle out and tell us what you see.

No, the OP said we are looking at all of the points on the line at a given time. So the X-axis is position. So the signal hasn't reached the points with x>0.5 yet.

Oh, that is really pretty neat! I am used to looking at a point while time marches on. Since Hspice never lies (ahem) this is of course correct. You are seeing how mother nature propagates the signal down the line. If it wasn't for the little LC's you would just have a voltage divider with a zero prop time. That little oscillation is your friend! It brings you your cable TV. :smile:

1. What is transmission line transient simulation and why is it important?

Transmission line transient simulation is a computational method used to model and analyze the behavior of electrical transmission lines during transient events, such as power surges or faults. It is important because it allows scientists and engineers to predict the response of transmission lines to these events, helping them to design and maintain more reliable and efficient power systems.

2. What are the key elements involved in transmission line transient simulation?

The key elements in transmission line transient simulation include the mathematical models that represent the physical properties of the transmission line, the simulation software used to solve these models, and the input parameters such as line length, material properties, and boundary conditions.

3. How accurate are the results obtained from transmission line transient simulation?

The accuracy of the results obtained from transmission line transient simulation depends on the complexity of the model and the quality of the input data. In general, the results are considered to be highly accurate and can be validated through comparison with real-world measurements.

4. What are some common applications of transmission line transient simulation?

Transmission line transient simulation is commonly used in the design and analysis of power transmission and distribution systems, as well as in the development of protective devices for these systems. It is also used in the study of lightning and other high-voltage phenomena, and in the evaluation of electromagnetic interference on communication systems.

5. What are some challenges faced in transmission line transient simulation?

One of the main challenges in transmission line transient simulation is the trade-off between accuracy and computational time. As the complexity of the model increases, the computational time also increases, making it difficult to simulate large and complex systems. Another challenge is obtaining accurate input data, such as material properties and boundary conditions, which can greatly affect the accuracy of the results.