Transmission through flow cell using small-angle x-ray scattering

In summary, for optimal results in your in-situ solution phase reaction analysis using SAXS, it is important to minimize the glass layer signal and maximize the fluid layer (channel depth) transmission. This can be achieved by finding the ideal combination of glass layer thickness and channel depth, which can be determined by consulting with an engineer or fabricator who specializes in microfluidic devices.
MSM
TL;DR Summary
Determining the ideal path length for the fluid channel for in-situ SAXS measurement
Hello,

I plan to run an experiment using SAXS for in-situ solution phase reaction analysis. We will use a glass micro-fluidic chip due to experimental limitation reasons. I am looking for the optimal path length for these channels (fluid channel depth).

My understanding is that we need to minimize the glass layer signal and maximize the fluid layer (channel depth) transmission for best results (correct me if I am wrong). The transmission factor decreases with increasing thickness, T ~ exp (-Ad) where A is the linear attenuation coefficient and d is the path length. So having a thinner glass layer is better, but this depends on the fabrication limitations. My question is regarding the fluid channel depth, which is the region of interest. If we were able to have a chip fabricated with a glass layer of 1 to 2 mm (0.5 to 1 mm each side), is it favorable to maximize the fluid channel depth (e.g 1 mm), or have a thinner channel depth (e.g 0.5 mm). In other words, the ideal combination of glass layer thickness vs channel depth. I used the equation stated above to determine the maximum thickness the glass layer can be to allow reasonable transmission (we are aiming ~30%). The more, the better. Obviously due to fabrication limitations, its very difficult to have a glass chip very thin will still being mechanically stable.

Best

Physics news on Phys.org
,Your best bet is to consult with an engineer or fabricator who specializes in microfluidic devices. They should be able to guide you in finding the optimal combination of glass layer thickness and channel depth. As you mentioned, the transmission factor decreases with increasing thickness, so having a thinner glass layer is generally preferable. However, this may not be possible depending on the fabrication limitations of the chip. Additionally, the transmission also decreases with increasing channel depth, so it's important to find the right balance between the two. Ultimately, the engineer or fabricator can help you determine the ideal combination that will provide the highest transmission rate.

1. What is small-angle x-ray scattering (SAXS)?

Small-angle x-ray scattering is a technique used to study the structure of materials on a nanometer scale. It involves directing a beam of x-rays at a sample and analyzing the scattered x-rays to determine the size, shape, and arrangement of particles within the sample.

2. How does SAXS work for transmission through flow cell measurements?

In transmission through flow cell measurements, the sample is placed in a flow cell and a continuous flow of liquid or gas is passed through the cell. The x-ray beam is directed through the flow cell, and the scattered x-rays are measured at different angles. This allows for the analysis of the sample's structure as it is affected by the flow of the liquid or gas.

3. What types of samples can be studied using transmission through flow cell SAXS?

Transmission through flow cell SAXS can be used to study a wide range of samples, including biological molecules, polymers, colloids, and nanoparticles. It is particularly useful for studying samples that are sensitive to changes in their environment, such as proteins in solution.

4. What are the advantages of using transmission through flow cell SAXS?

One of the main advantages of this technique is that it allows for the analysis of samples under dynamic conditions, such as in a flowing liquid or gas. It also provides information about the size and shape of particles within a sample, as well as their interactions with each other and their surrounding environment.

5. Are there any limitations to transmission through flow cell SAXS?

One limitation of this technique is that it requires a specialized flow cell setup, which may not be readily available in all laboratories. Additionally, the sample must be in a liquid or gas form, which may not be suitable for all types of samples. It also has a limited resolution compared to other techniques, such as electron microscopy.