Transpose of a matrix with mixed indices

In summary, the transpose of a linear map between two inner product spaces can be defined as the map that satisfies the equation gijfjk = Gjk(fT)ji, or equivalently, fik = (fT)ki. This can also be understood in terms of basis vectors and components of the map.
eoghan
Hi!
Given a matrix A of elements [itex]A_i\;^j[/itex], which is the right transpose:
[itex]A_j\;^i[/itex]
or
[itex]A^j\;_i[/itex]
?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that you mean that ##A_i{}^j## is what's on row i, column j, then the transpose of the matrix has ##A_j{}^i## on row i, column j.

Uhm... I have this equation:
[tex]\Lambda^T g \Lambda = g[/tex]
in index notation:
[tex]
\left( \Lambda^T \right)^{\mu}\;_{\rho} g^{\rho}\;_{\alpha}\Lambda^{\alpha}\;_{\nu}=
g^{\mu}\;_{\nu}
[/tex]
now,
[tex]
\left( \Lambda^T \right)^{\mu}\;_{\rho}=\Lambda^{\rho}\;_{\mu}
[/tex]
right?
And so I get:
[tex]
\Lambda^{\rho}\;_{\mu} g^{\rho}\;_{\alpha}\Lambda^{\alpha}\;_{\nu}=
g^{\mu}\;_{\nu}
[/tex]
Is this equation correct? (I don't think so, because the positions of the indices on the both sides are not correct)

Actually, in this context (special relativity), it's conventional to write row ##\rho##, column ##\alpha## of ##g## as ##g_{\rho\alpha}##.

The convention for ##g^{-1}## is that row ##\rho##, column ##\alpha## is written as ##g^{\rho\alpha}##.

Also note that when you multiply the original equation by ##g^{-1}## from the left, you find that $$\Lambda^{-1}=g^{-1}\Lambda^Tg.$$ Row ##\rho##, column ##\alpha## of this matrix is written as
$$(\Lambda^{-1})^\rho{}_\alpha =(g^{-1}\Lambda^Tg)^\rho{}_\alpha =g^{\rho\beta}\Lambda^\mu{}_\beta g_{\mu\alpha}=\Lambda_\alpha{}^\rho.$$

Last edited:
here's my 2 cents.

suppose i have two vector spaces (say X and Y) and a linear map f:X->Y
then you automatically get a map f*:Y*->X*
usually called the transpose or pullback. it's defined in the obvious way. let ω in Y*
then (f*ω)(x) = ω(fx).

if we have an inner product on X and Y we have an identification of X*
with X and Y* with Y. we can use this to define the transpose map
fT: Y ->X.

Specifically, define θ:X->X* by (θx)(x') = (x,x') for all x' in X.
similarly let ψ:Y->Y* {(ψy)(y')=(y,y')}. We put
fT = θ-1f*ψ.

or θfT = f*ψ.
then for any y we have
θfT(y) = f*ψ(y)
both sides are elements of X* so that we can compare them
by their action on an arbitrary x in X
θfT(y)[x] = (fTy, x)
f*ψ(y)[x] = ψ(y)( fx ) = (y, fx)

so we have a coordinate independent definition of transpose for
a map between two inner product spaces.
Take a basis for X and Y.

And find the components of any map f:X->Y by
(fx)i = fij xj

we have
(y, fx) = gijyi(fx)j = gijyifjkxk

and(fTy, x) = Gij(fTy)ixj= Gij(fT)ikykxj.

Reindex the dummy variables and compare:
gijfjk = Gjk(fT)ji.

or using the convention that the inverse of G has components Gij

(fT)ij = gjkfklGli.

using the convention that g (or G) raises or lowers indices we have

(fT)ij = fji.

-----------------------

This is just a longwinded way to say
gijfjk = Gjk(fT)ji is the same as fik = (fT)ki,
then make indices match on both sides of the equation.

What is the transpose of a matrix with mixed indices?

The transpose of a matrix with mixed indices is a new matrix obtained by interchanging the rows and columns of the original matrix. This means that the element in the ith row and jth column of the original matrix will be in the jth row and ith column of the transpose matrix.

How is the transpose of a matrix with mixed indices calculated?

To calculate the transpose of a matrix with mixed indices, the rows and columns are swapped in the original matrix. This means that the first row of the original matrix becomes the first column of the transpose matrix, the second row becomes the second column, and so on.

What is the significance of the transpose of a matrix with mixed indices?

The transpose of a matrix with mixed indices is used in various mathematical operations, such as matrix multiplication and solving systems of linear equations. It also helps in simplifying calculations and making them more efficient.

Can the transpose of a matrix with mixed indices be applied to any type of matrix?

Yes, the transpose operation can be applied to any type of matrix, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, and even matrices with complex numbers as elements.

Is the transpose of a matrix with mixed indices commutative?

No, the transpose operation is not commutative. In other words, the transpose of the transpose of a matrix with mixed indices does not necessarily result in the original matrix. However, in some special cases, such as symmetric matrices, the transpose of the transpose will be the original matrix.