Travel 7 Light Years at 50000km/s - How Long?

In summary, a space voyage to a distant planet would take about six times the time it would take to travel to Earth at the same speed. The gamma factor is only about 1.15, so a trip to the planet would take about four years using ship time, but would be faster than if you traveled at the same speed as Earth.
Spockishere
TL;DR Summary
I'm intrigued to hear your answers on this one.
let's say i would like to drop by one of my pals on a certain planet, 7ly away. I got to 42 years but it doesn't really sound correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just tried an other formula and got 1 year, I'm lost haha.

Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you show us your calculation that got you to 42 years? Did you assume any acceleration/deceleration times, or just simplified it to that speed for the whole trip?

Likes Vanadium 50
Spockishere said:
Summary: I'm intrigued to hear your answers on this one.

let's say i would like to drop by one of my pals on a certain planet, 7ly away. I got to 42 years but it doesn't really sound correct.
That speed is about ##\frac c 6##. So, yes, about ##42## years. Although a little less.

Likes Ibix
You're going at 1/6th the speed of light w/r to the target. At that velocity, the relativistic corrections are on the order of 1%. They're pretty much irrelevant. So the answer actually is just about six times seven = 42 years. Minus maybe half a year.

Likes David Lewis, Ibix and PeroK
Thanks for the answers guys.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you show us your calculation that got you to 42 years? Did you assume any acceleration/deceleration times, or just simplified it to that speed for the whole trip?
Thanks for the warm welcome! I used this formula ( 1/(sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)). And i just simplified it to one constant speed for the whole trip.

Likes berkeman
Spockishere said:
Thanks for the warm welcome! I used this formula ( 1/(sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)). And i just simplified it to one constant speed for the whole trip.
That's the one! It's the gamma factor. But, for ##v = \frac c 6##, we have:
$$\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{35}{36}}} \approx 1.014$$Which is not very significantly different from ##1## and implies only a ##1.4 \%## difference between Earth time and spaceship time for the journey.

Likes vanhees71
Spockishere said:
Summary: I'm intrigued to hear your answers on this one.

but it doesn't really sound correct.

Out of curiosity, why were you doubting the results? IMO, actually doing some math before posting a question puts you in pretty exclusive club. ;-)

Grinkle said:
Out of curiosity, why were you doubting the results? IMO, actually doing some math before posting a question puts you in pretty exclusive club. ;-)
I wasn't really doubting the results, i just hoped they were wrong. I was curious as to how a space voyage would feel like at those distances. 42 years is a lot haha. And thanks.

Likes PeroK
Spockishere said:
I wasn't really doubting the results, i just hoped they were wrong. I was curious as to how a space voyage would feel like at those distances. 42 years is a lot haha. And thanks.
Even at ##0.5c## the gamma factor is only about ##1.15##. That's still not very significant. You need to get up to ##0.8c## where the gamma factor is ##1.67## to make a real difference.

Interstellar space travel is never going to be easy.

Spockishere said:
But you are better than Apollo 12 and Apollo 13. They even needed ##0.5 ms## more from relativistic effects, mainly gravitational time-dilation.

Source:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19720022040

Last edited:
However at constant 1G acceleration then decelleration you could make the 7 LY trip in a little over 4 years ship time, but would hit a top speed of 0.97c

there are a number of calculators online for this

1. How long would it take to travel 7 light years at 50000km/s?

The time it takes to travel 7 light years at 50000km/s would be approximately 140 years. This is because one light year is equivalent to about 9.46 trillion kilometers, so 7 light years would be 66.22 trillion kilometers. Dividing this distance by the speed of 50000km/s gives us 1.3244 billion seconds, which is equal to about 140 years.

2. Is it possible for humans to travel at 50000km/s?

Currently, it is not possible for humans to travel at 50000km/s. This speed is much faster than the speed of light, which is considered the universal speed limit. Additionally, the technology and resources needed to travel at this speed are not yet available.

3. How does traveling at 50000km/s compare to the speed of light?

The speed of light is about 299,792,458 meters per second, which is equivalent to about 1079252848 km/h. This is significantly faster than 50000km/s, which is only 0.005% of the speed of light.

4. What are the potential challenges of traveling at 50000km/s?

One of the main challenges of traveling at 50000km/s is the immense amount of energy required. It would also be difficult to control and navigate a spacecraft at such high speeds. Additionally, the effects of time dilation would also need to be taken into account.

5. How does the distance traveled affect the time it takes to reach a destination at 50000km/s?

The distance traveled is directly proportional to the time it takes to reach a destination at 50000km/s. This means that the farther the distance, the longer the time it would take to reach the destination. For example, traveling 14 light years at 50000km/s would take approximately 280 years.