Travel experiences you would love to share

In summary, a bear entered a hotel where a young girl and her mother were staying. The mother managed to get some ice and closed the door, but the bear went to the window and sniffed it. Then 3 cubs came in. Fortunately the window was shut.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Who doesn't like to travel to unknown places, away from the hectic city life? Did you experience something great on such trips that is worth sharing? Perhaps Nature had opened up her beauty in front of you, or you have seen something majestic in people's lives that has made you think for a long time. Or maybe you've visited some place that is not so popular among tourists, and discovered something that has been a veritable treat to your eyes.

Open up the unknown. Share your travel experiences with us. Be sure to post some great images along with your travel account. However, if you have experienced something great that cannot be photographed, don't hesitate to share that too!

Physics news on Phys.org
This took place 2009 or so, in Sikkim, India. The range is the Sleeping Buddha.

We set the alarm clock at 3-30. As soon as it started ringing, we rushed to the window – and we could see the stars! Everywhere. When we reached near the car we found that there was a leak in a tyre and they were changing it. Time was running out – why should it happen at that time!

Our driver, Shankar, also sensed that we were getting late. So he started driving fast. He was in such a hurry that he forgot to show our papers at the check-post. Lungthung, the view point, was 18 kms away and I kept a constant eye on the milestones. There were numerous turns, the sky started becoming bright – would we be able to make it? Everybody was praying fervently.

There is another view point, Thambi, which was much nearer. Shankar told us that nobody at first was able to establish any road connection in this mountaneous terrain. It was one Mr. Thambi, a soldier in the Indian army, who could first map the region and based on his ideas, the roads were built later on. So he was promoted and rewarded duly. But his seniors didn’t like this and he died of jealousy. The view point was named after him acknowledging his contribution.

We drove past Thambi, Shankar was driving really fast, another bend, another one, and suddenly…. He was there. It took us some time to understand who he was. Then came the realization, as we had never seen him so close, so clear – didn’t even think that it would be like this. The entire range was visible, there was no cloud at all.

IMGA0626.JPG

At every other place, and in the photos that we had seen, he seemed to be shorter than others – an illusion that can be broken perhaps here only. He was mightily taller than the rest. We could watch his august presence almost everywhere till we reached Lungthung.

IMGA0627.JPG

And what we saw then was, believe me, absolutely unbelievable. Whatever we had heard and read earlier became true before our eyes. So far the range was fully white. But when the first rays of the sun kissed the peak, it became pink. As the rays started propagating below gradually, it was awash with melting gold. We were literally mesmerized by the Kanchenjunga.

IMGA0631.JPG

IMGA0636.JPG

IMGA0641.JPG

IMGA0645.JPG

IMGA0646.JPG

IMGA0648.JPG

It was so spectacular, so majestic – we were blessed to watch this wonder of the nature. This game of splashing colour went on for quite some time and we were the only ones to watch this heavenly show.

Attachments

• IMGA0626.JPG
    IMGA0626.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 541
  • IMGA0627.JPG
    IMGA0627.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 567
  • IMGA0648.JPG
    IMGA0648.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 548
  • IMGA0646.JPG
    IMGA0646.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 556
  • IMGA0645.JPG
    IMGA0645.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 512
  • IMGA0641.JPG
    IMGA0641.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 571
  • IMGA0636.JPG
    IMGA0636.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 559
  • IMGA0631.JPG
    IMGA0631.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Likes DennisN, Astronuc, Grands and 2 others
Wrichik Basu said:
Perhaps Nature had opened up her beauty in front of you,

Nature opened up a bit too much

A few years ago when I was in middle school, I was up in Lincoln, New Hampshire at a hotel, unfortunately the hotel made a mistake (they still do this, most nights), they left the front doors open and left the trash uncovered in the parking lot. This led to a bear entering the hotel and going right by my door. My mother got up to get ice and opened the door and saw the bear 3ish feet from her. I was right behind her since I was going to follow her since I did not know where the ice was. Anyway, we slowly backed up as the bear walked towards us, and we shut the door. We then see the bear go to our window that let us see the hall. Then 3 cubs came in as the bear was sniffing our window. Thankfully the window was shut. After she got a good whiff of our window she went upstairs and later left the building. Then some guy went outside right after the bear, we called him back in and he decided to go to his truck a few minutes later. Luckily he was fine though, the bear went across the street to another hotel.

By the way we did not get the ice until the next day.

Likes lekh2003 and Wrichik Basu
Stephenk53 said:
Nature opened up a bit too much

A few years ago when I was in middle school, I was up in Lincoln, New Hampshire at a hotel, unfortunately the hotel made a mistake (they still do this, most nights), they left the front doors open and left the trash uncovered in the parking lot. This led to a bear entering the hotel and going right by my door. My mother got up to get ice and opened the door and saw the bear 3ish feet from her. I was right behind her since I was going to follow her since I did not know where the ice was. Anyway, we slowly backed up as the bear walked towards us, and we shut the door. We then see the bear go to our window that let us see the hall. Then 3 cubs came in as the bear was sniffing our window. Thankfully the window was shut. After she got a good whiff of our window she went upstairs and later left the building. Then some guy went outside right after the bear, we called him back in and he decided to go to his truck a few minutes later. Luckily he was fine though, the bear went across the street to another hotel.

By the way we did not get the ice until the next day.
That's a fearful experience. Do bears go around in streets like this? I've never experienced something like that.

Wrichik Basu said:
That's a fearful experience. Do bears go around in streets like this? I've never experienced something like that.
We have bears, deer, bobcats,and racoons that show up around where I live. I've even seen a small cougar amble through my yard. Admittedly, I live out in the country, about five miles out of town.

Likes Astronuc, Grands and Wrichik Basu
Wrichik Basu said:
Normally they don't, but in the area it is certainly not unheard of. Normally if they go into town they leave relatively quickly and it is extremely rare for them to be in buildings. Although it is very common to see bears in the area since it is surrounded by forest in a most directions

Likes Wrichik Basu
One of my favorite "travel experience" is when we did our cruise to the eastern Caribbean. We saw the San Gervasio Mayan ruins in Cozumel, MX, visited a turtle farm in The Grand Cayman, and did a zipline and a bobsled ride in Jamaica. It was a fun trip!

However, this might be topped when we do our Alaska cruise this September. We shall see.

Zz.

Likes davenn, DennisN and Wrichik Basu
ZapperZ said:
We saw the San Gervasio Mayan ruins in Cozumel, MX
My ex-wife and I spent a week on Cozumel some years ago. I don't remember the San Gervasio ruins (we probably saw them), but I do remember that we did a day trip to Tulum, the only Mayan site on the coast.
th2.jpg

Attachments

• th2.jpg
    th2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 454
Likes DennisN, BillTre, DaveC426913 and 2 others
Last Year I was travel with family to Bali. There are many beautiful places and I will go again to watch the beauty of Bali.

Likes Wrichik Basu
I prefer to travel to such beautiful cities in Europe, like Lviv. This year I've visited Lviv and stayed at the hotel https://vintagehotel.com.ua/en/. My trip was full of amazing moments!

Marjorie Glacier, Glacier Bay, Alaska.

IMG_4081.jpg

calving.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4081.jpg
    IMG_4081.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 647
  • calving.jpg
    calving.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 588
Likes Astronuc, davenn, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
DaveC426913 said:
Marjorie Glacier, Glacier Bay, Alaska.

View attachment 236108

View attachment 236109
Nice shots, Dave. The wife and I are planning a trip to Canada in the next couple of years ( takes time to save )
it's an organised tour. Calgary to Vancouver by bus through the rockies. Then cruise ship up the western coast in
and out of fiords for the glaciers etc like you have done.
Will be a trip of a lifetime for the two of us :smile:

Our last fun experience was swimming with Green Sea Turtles on the NE coast of Oahu, Hawai'i

upload_2018-12-23_12-44-36.png

Are allowed to swim with them, no touching - 10ft (3m) clearance

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-23_12-44-36.png
    upload_2018-12-23_12-44-36.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 407
Likes Astronuc and Wrichik Basu

1. What was your favorite travel experience so far?

My favorite travel experience so far was when I went on a safari in South Africa. It was an incredible opportunity to see some of the world's most majestic animals in their natural habitat.

2. How do you choose your travel destinations?

I usually choose my travel destinations based on recommendations from friends and family, as well as researching popular travel destinations online. I also consider my budget and the time of year I will be traveling.

3. What is the most important thing you have learned from your travels?

The most important thing I have learned from my travels is to always be open to new experiences and cultures. It has taught me to be more adaptable and to appreciate the beauty and diversity of the world around us.

4. What is your favorite mode of transportation while traveling?

My favorite mode of transportation while traveling is by train. It allows me to see the scenic views and landscapes of the country I am visiting, and it also gives me the opportunity to interact with locals and other travelers.

5. What advice do you have for someone who wants to travel but is on a tight budget?

My advice for someone on a tight budget is to plan ahead and be flexible with your travel dates. Look for deals and discounts, and consider staying in budget accommodations such as hostels or Airbnb. Also, try to save money by cooking your own meals or opting for street food instead of expensive restaurants.