Traveling at Lightspeed - Time Stops

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of traveling at the speed of light and its implications on time and perspective. While the idea of a "photon's point of view" and the application of Quantum Mechanics may be debated, it is generally agreed upon that it is meaningless to talk about a frame of reference at the speed of light.
tryceo
If an object were to travel at the speed of light from Point A to Point B, then wouldn't the speed of light for the person on the object be v = d/0? Because when you travel at the speed of light in space, your time stops. So when the object reaches point B, even if it is 1 billion lightyears away, it would seem instantaneous to the person on board. Then that would mean a part of Quantum Mechanics, where the electrons move from place to place no 0 amount of time, would also apply to this object as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
No object with mass can travel at the speed of light, so the question is meaningless.

Then what if you looked at the photon's point of view?

I had to stifle an "AAARRRGGGHHH!" when I saw "photon's point of view" because we have had many discussions here about it. You couldn't be expected to know that, of course, because you're new here, so I'll just link you to a couple of searches for those threads.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=photon+point+of+view+site:physicsforums.com

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=photon+reference+frame+site:physicsforums.com

I'm in the camp that says that it's pretty much meaningless to talk about a "photon's point of view," by the way, but I don't particularly feel like arguing about it.

jtbell said:
I had to stifle an "AAARRRGGGHHH!" when I saw "photon's point of view" because we have had many discussions here about it. You couldn't be expected to know that, of course, because you're new here, so I'll just link you to a couple of searches for those threads.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=photon+point+of+view+site:physicsforums.com

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=photon+reference+frame+site:physicsforums.com

I'm in the camp that says that it's pretty much meaningless to talk about a "photon's point of view," by the way, but I don't particularly feel like arguing about it.

Echo 100% of this, including the stifled "ARRGGGHHH".

I see absolutely no reason to stifle the ARRGGGHHH! (In fact, I might add a few "R"s, "G"s, and "H"s). Simply put there is no such thing as "the photon's point of view". In a sense, tryceo, you are right- "time stops" at light speed so nothing happens for the photon and it can observe nothing- the photon has NO point of view and there is no such thing as a "frame of reference" at the speed of light. To even ask "what would happen IF you could move at the speed of light?" is to deny relativity. Essentially you are asking, "If relativity were NOT correct, what result would relativity give?" and that is nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is lightspeed and how fast is it?

Lightspeed refers to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is the fastest speed at which anything in the universe can travel.

2. How does traveling at lightspeed affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object. This means that time will appear to stop for an object traveling at lightspeed.

3. Can humans travel at lightspeed?

Currently, humans do not possess the technology to travel at lightspeed. The fastest spacecraft ever launched, the Voyager 1, is traveling at approximately 17 kilometers per second, which is only about 0.0056% of lightspeed.

4. What would happen if someone were to travel at lightspeed for a long period of time?

If someone were to travel at lightspeed for a long period of time, time dilation would occur, meaning that time would pass slower for the traveler compared to someone on Earth. This could result in the traveler experiencing only a short amount of time passing while a significant amount of time has passed on Earth.

5. Is it possible to travel faster than lightspeed?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is not possible to travel faster than lightspeed. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach or exceed lightspeed.