Treating Green Algae in a Goldfish Pond: Visibility ~2 Inches

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to treat a goldfish pond that is green with algae. The visibility is only 2 inches and they are concerned about the water quality. Suggestions are given such as using a scraper and water change in an indoor setting, but the individual needs a solution for a pond. Some possible solutions mentioned are replacing the bacterial sponge with cotton batting, adding algae-eating fish, and using water hyacinth and water lettuce. The individual also asks about the possibility of high nitrates and phosphates causing the algae growth and provides links to resources for treating algae in ponds. They express concern about using chemical solutions and plan to continue with a water change and using microbial filter paper. The conversation also touches on
DaveC426913
Gold Member
How do I treat a goldfish pond green with algae? Visibility is ~2 inches. It's not the wall coating I'm concerned about, it's the water itself.

I know how I'd treat it indoors - with a scraper and a water change, but that won't work in a pond. (Well, I suppose a water change would help...)

Currently, I've replaced the bacterial sponge in the pump with cotton batting for a finer filtering.

Physics news on Phys.org
It wouldn't hurt to stock in a few algae-eating fish.

That had occurred to me. Anyone know what algae-eaters are cold-water? I wouldn't want to put any tropicals in there...

I s'pose they'll know at the store.

I have had really good luck in my pond with the addition of water hyacinth and water lettuce. It takes care of the algae pretty well. I don't have fish though, so I'm not sure how well it would work with the increased nitrogen etc...

Here's a site that might help. It deals primarily with aquariums, but some of it might be applicable to your situation. The fish idea might have been a tad optimistic. I didn't actually read the thing.
http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/green_water.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really know, but I'd suspect the chemical environment favors algae somehow, perhaps too much nitrates or phosphates. You can test for those really easily, but I admit I have no idea what you'd do about it. In a closed aquarium you'd just dilute the water regularly to keep the concetration down.

The local restaurant here in my hometown just recently had the same problem and they used some sort of algeacide to get rid of it. It took about a week to take effect because they had to put it in slowly so it wouldn't kill the fish. I go to the restaurant everyday and if you don't find a solution to the problem you can send me a private message and I will find out the name brand of the chemical they used. You may also want to check with local landscapers and garden shops to see if the carry algeacides for goldfish ponds
RAD

I wouldst avoid chemical solutions.

I have done a 30% water change and put some microbial filter paper in the filter. I'll continue until clear.

I have not been treating my pond like an outdoor aquarium. I thought they were somewhat more self-sustaining than aquaria.

Rach3 said:
I don't really know, but I'd suspect the chemical environment favors algae somehow, perhaps too much nitrates or phosphates. You can test for those really easily,
Yep, the problem is surely a high concentration of nitrates.

The test for high nitrates is ... the presence of excessive algae. :biggrin:

Do you people not know how to google?

http://www.pondmarket.com/algae.htm

http://www.watergarden.com/pages/pond-algae.html

Last edited:
Why would Google be my first choice - when I've got me a community here that can give me advice on anything under the sun I care to ask about? :rolleyes:

But thanks.

[EDIT] Actually, those are really good links :redface: :redface: . Thanks!

(I'll use some of those methods. Too bad I can't put any plants in my pond, as they'll just serve as appetizers for the coons.)

Last edited:
Hope they help!

1. How do I know if my goldfish pond has green algae?

One way to determine if your goldfish pond has green algae is by its appearance. Green algae typically appears as a greenish film or mat on the surface of the water and may also coat the sides of the pond. Another indicator is the visibility of the water, as green algae can make the water appear cloudy or murky.

2. What causes green algae to grow in a goldfish pond?

Green algae growth in a goldfish pond is primarily caused by an excess of nutrients, such as sunlight, nitrates, and phosphates. These nutrients can come from various sources, including fish waste, decaying plant matter, and runoff from fertilized lawns or gardens. Poor water circulation and lack of maintenance can also contribute to algae growth.

3. How can I treat green algae in my goldfish pond?

There are several methods for treating green algae in a goldfish pond, including natural solutions such as adding aquatic plants or barley straw, and chemical treatments like algaecides. It is important to carefully follow the instructions for any treatment method and regularly monitor the water quality to prevent harm to your fish and other aquatic life.

4. How often should I clean my goldfish pond to prevent green algae growth?

The frequency of cleaning your goldfish pond will depend on various factors, such as the size of the pond, the number of fish, and the amount of debris. It is generally recommended to clean the pond at least once a year, preferably in the spring, to remove excess nutrients and prevent algae growth. Regular maintenance, such as removing debris and adding beneficial bacteria, can also help prevent algae growth.

5. Can green algae be harmful to my goldfish?

In small amounts, green algae is not harmful to goldfish and can even provide some benefits, such as oxygen production and food for other aquatic organisms. However, excessive algae growth can deplete oxygen levels in the water, making it difficult for fish to breathe. Additionally, some types of algae can produce toxins that can harm fish and other aquatic life. It is important to monitor algae growth and take appropriate measures to prevent it from becoming a problem in your goldfish pond.