Trick for evaluating limits by substituting in 1/n

• I
  • Thread starter cuallito
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the method used to evaluate limits in Calc 1 involved substituting 1/n for x and simplifying. I believe this substitution is also known as the Heine Theorem.
cuallito
TL;DR Summary
Trick I vaguely remember from Calc 1
Hi, I remember some sort of method for evaluating limits from Calc 1 that involved substituting in 1/n for x and simplifying. Does that sound familiar to anyone? Sorry I know that's vague, but all I can really remember about it. I can't find it mentioned anywhere in Stewart nor online :/

Thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, that would change a ##\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}## to a ##\lim_{n \rightarrow 0}## or ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}## to ##\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}##. Perhaps there are cases where that's a useful thing to do, but it's not a trick I recall seeing off the top of my head.

cuallito said:
Summary: Trick I vaguely remember from Calc 1

Hi, I remember some sort of method for evaluating limits from Calc 1 that involved substituting in 1/n for x and simplifying. Does that sound familiar to anyone? Sorry I know that's vague, but all I can really remember about it. I can't find it mentioned anywhere in Stewart nor online :/

Thank you...
This substitution appears fairly often in calculus textbooks.
Given the limit ##\lim_{n \to \infty}(1 + \frac 1 n)^n##, you can use the substitution x = 1/n, and work with the new limit ##\lim_{x \to 0^+}(1 + x)^{1/x}## and evaluate the new limit.

Likes cuallito and jim mcnamara
I believe you are talking about the Heine Theorem.

shrub_broom said:
I believe you are talking about the Heine Theorem.
I don't think so.
I am not familiar with the Heine Theorem, but I did find online descriptions of the Heine-Borel Theorem and the Heine-Cantor Theorem, neither of which had anything to do with limits, as far as I could see.

Also, the OP mentioned that his question was about Calc 1, which focuses mostly on limits and differentiation.

Likes fresh_42
I vaguely remember it used to compute derivatives somewhat similar to what Mark44 wrote , maybe in terms of dense subsets, as in :

##f'(x)=Lim_{ n \rightarrow \infty} [ f(x+1/n)-f(x)] / (1/n) ##

Let me try to remember more details.

For every function limit ## lim_{x -> x_0} f(x) = A ##, if there is a series s.t. ##lim_{n -> \infty} a_n = x_0##, then ## lim_{n -> \infty} f(a_n) = A##. By the way, ## lim_{x -> x_0} f(x) = A ## iff ##forall~a_n~s.t.~ lim_{n -> \infty} a_n = x_0, lim_{n -> \infty} f(a_n) = A##. This is what I mentioned.

What is the "Trick for evaluating limits by substituting in 1/n"?

The "Trick for evaluating limits by substituting in 1/n" is a mathematical technique used to evaluate limits of functions that have a variable in the denominator. It involves substituting the variable with 1/n, where n is a large number, and then taking the limit as n approaches infinity.

Why is this trick useful?

This trick is useful because it allows us to evaluate limits that would otherwise be difficult to solve using traditional methods. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of a function as the variable approaches a certain value.

What types of functions can this trick be applied to?

This trick can be applied to rational functions, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions.

What is the general formula for using this trick?

The general formula for using this trick is:
lim f(x) = lim f(1/n) = f(0)
n→∞ n→∞

Are there any limitations to this trick?

Yes, there are some limitations to this trick. It can only be applied to functions that are continuous at the limit point, and it may not work for all types of functions. It is important to check the result obtained using this trick with other methods to ensure accuracy.