Tricky Surface Integral Homework | Solved Step by Step"

In summary: So to get the surface integral, you can use the following formula:[tex]\int_{a^2}\vec{S}d\theta d\phi= a^2sin(\phi)[/tex]
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure attached for problem statement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached for my attempt.

I tried to solve it without using divergence theorem, just a straight forward surface integral.

I got up to this point and got stuck. I did try this before using divergence theorem and it didn't seem any easier, which way am I suppose to do this integral?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 2006Q3.jpg
    2006Q3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
can't read it, though maybe speherical polar coords could be useful?

lanedance said:
can't read it, though maybe speherical polar coords could be useful?

Here's a better size pic of the problem statement, sorry it's so small in the original post.

I'm still stuck on this one.

Is spherical the right route to take? Should I be applying Divergence theorem?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• BetterSize.JPG
    BetterSize.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 341
Try parameterizing the surface rather than computing the integral directly. The divergence theorem will work ONLY if the bottom of the hemisphere is closed. It doesn't look like that is what the problem is stating.

lineintegral1 said:
Try parameterizing the surface rather than computing the integral directly. The divergence theorem will work ONLY if the bottom of the hemisphere is closed. It doesn't look like that is what the problem is stating.

Yes but I could always add the surface z=0 to close and remove it after applying divergence theorem.

Anyways, what do you mean by parameterizing the surface?

jegues said:
Yes but I could always add the surface z=0 to close and remove it after applying divergence theorem.

Anyways, what do you mean by parameterizing the surface?
Any smooth surface, a two dimensional object, can be written with x, y, and z as functions of two parameters.
Here, your figure is the upper hemisphere of the sphere [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= a^2[/itex]
and the simplest way to parameterize it is to use spherical coordinates with the [itex]\rho[/b] coordinate fixed at a:
[tex]x= a cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]y= a sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]z= a cos(\phi)[/itex]

To use that to integrate on the surface, write the "position vector" of any point on the sphere as
[tex]\vec{r}= x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}= a cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ a sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{j}+ a cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]

Differentiating with respect to the two parameters gives two vectors in the tangent plane at each point:
[tex]\vec{r}_\theta= -a sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ a cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{j}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r}_\phi= a cos(\theta)cos(\phi)\vec{i}+ a sin(\theta)cos(\phi)\vec{j}- a sin(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]

The cross product of those two vectors, called the "fundamental vector product" for the surface,
[tex]a^2cos(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{i}+ a^2sin(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{j}+ a^2sin(\phi)cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/tex]
if multiplied by [itex]d\theta d\phi[/itex] give [itex]d\vec{S}[/itex], the "vector differential of surface area" and its length [itex]a^2 sin(\phi)[/itex], times [itex]d\theta d\phi[/itex] is the "differential of surface area" in those parameters.

Related to Tricky Surface Integral Homework | Solved Step by Step"

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the total value of a function over a given surface. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of integrating over a one-dimensional interval, it integrates over a two-dimensional surface.

2. What makes a surface integral "tricky"?

Surface integrals can be tricky because they involve dealing with curved surfaces and require understanding of vector calculus. They also require careful consideration of orientation and parameterization of the surface.

3. How is a surface integral calculated?

To calculate a surface integral, the surface must first be parameterized into a set of two variables, usually denoted as u and v. The function being integrated is then multiplied by the magnitude of the cross product of the partial derivatives of the parameterization. The resulting expression is then integrated over the range of u and v values.

4. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the flux of a vector field through a surface, finding the center of mass of a curved object, and determining the amount of work done by a force on a curved surface.

5. Are there any important theorems related to surface integrals?

Yes, there are several important theorems related to surface integrals, such as the Divergence Theorem, which states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of that field over the enclosed region. The Stokes' Theorem is another important theorem that relates surface integrals to line integrals.