Tricomplex numbers (Trinions anyone?)

• Thread starter EinsteinKreuz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary: An example of a non-associative algebra under multiplication: The OctionionsAn associative algebra is a vector space over the real numbers.
EinsteinKreuz
So what am I talking about? An extension of the complex numbers between ℂ1 and the Quaternions.

A tricomplex number can be written as τ = {a + bi + cj | ∀(a,b,c)∈ℝ } where:

i2 = j2 = i×j = -1 = -(j×i)

Thus of course, j×i = +1
What is remarkable is that such objects are closed under muliplication and produce of a tricomplex number with its conjugate, τ×τ* = (a+bi+cj)(a-bi-cj)

= a2 + b2 + c2. You can verify this yourself using the multiplication rules I listed but I will do it in a follow up post.

Now surely there's another name for such things as it seems far too likely that someone discovered them before but if so, what exactly are they called?

Using the Cayley-Dickinson construction method as well as the properties of free groups I tried to created a Cayley table for 5-dimensional complex numbers(1 real basis and 4 imaginary bases) but it didn't work since each row and each column had redundant entries unlike the Quaternion and Octonion Cayley tables.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unlike the quaternions, your suggested extension is not a division ring as it does not have a unique multiplicative inverse. For example ##ix = -1## is solved by both ##x = i## and ##x = j##. It also not associative as, for example, ##(i^2)j = -1j = -j## and ##i(ij) = i(-1) = -i##. So in short, it is missing several of the properties which make the quaternions useful.

An anecdote tells that Hamilton searched nearly 10 years to find a field extension of ℝ of degree 3 before he was convinced that there is none. And even the quaternions come to a prize: the commutative property.

Orodruin said:
Unlike the quaternions, your suggested extension is not a division ring as it does not have a unique multiplicative inverse. For example ##ix = -1## is solved by both ##x = i## and ##x = j##. It also not associative as, for example, ##(i^2)j = -1j = -j## and ##i(ij) = i(-1) = -i##. So in short, it is missing several of the properties which make the quaternions useful.
Good point. But the multiplicative identity here is +1. The equation ##ix = 1## has 2 solutions: ##x=-i##,##x=-j##. I noticed the same problem when trying to construct 5-dimensional complex numbers.

That said, what is the term for a group-like algebraic structure that has Closure, Identity, and Inverse under a binary operation but is non-associative?

EinsteinKreuz said:
That said, what is the term for a group-like algebraic structure that has Closure, Identity, and Inverse under a binary operation but is non-associative?
If you have two operations, an additive group plus a distributive multiplication, then it's an algebra. For "group-like" structures that are not associative there is no name, as far as I (don't) know. Even halfgroups without inverse require the associative property.

EDIT: I think there is a 3 dimensional associative structure over ℝ. Just forgot what exactly it was, ##ℝ^3## with the ×-product or so.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
If you have two operations, an additive group plus a distributive multiplication, then it's an algebra.

Do you mean a ##\mathbb{Z}##-algebra?

micromass said:
Do you mean a ##\mathbb{Z}##-algebra?
You are right, I withheld the field as it all began with the reals. I just wanted to emphasize that there exist non associative algebras but no non associative named structures with only one binary operation I knew of.

fresh_42 said:
You are right, I withheld the field as it all began with the reals. I just wanted to emphasize that there exist non associative algebras but no non associative named structures with only one binary operation I knew of.

Oh, there are plenty. For example, loops: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasigroup

Likes suremarc
That's very interesting. I've only met the right path of them (fig. on Wiki Link) plus algebras of all kind. Maybe I've forgotten the term. Thank you, something learned today.

Last edited:
EinsteinKreuz said:
It's worth pointing out that unital ##\mathbb{R}##-algebras of odd dimension always have zero divisors, associative or not. Consider the left-multiplication map ##L_a: x\rightarrow ax## on a unital ##\mathbb{R}##-algebra ##A## of odd dimension. Its characteristic polynomial has odd degree and therefore has a linear factor, yielding a real eigenvalue ##\lambda##. We then may obtain the zero divisor ##\lambda1_A-a##.

fresh_42 said:
If you have two operations, an additive group plus a distributive multiplication, then it's an algebra. For "group-like" structures that are not associative there is no name, as far as I (don't) know. Even halfgroups without inverse require the associative property.

EDIT: I think there is a 3 dimensional associative structure over ℝ. Just forgot what exactly it was, ##ℝ^3## with the ×-product or so.
An example of a non-associative algebra under multiplication: The Octionions

i guess this is clear, but if it had been associative, it would seem to be a vector space over the usual complex numbers, hence of even real vector dimension.

What are Tricomplex numbers?

Tricomplex numbers, also known as trinions, are a mathematical extension of the complex numbers. They consist of three components: a real part, an imaginary part, and a trinary part. They can be represented in the form a + bi + ct, where a, b, and c are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

How are Tricomplex numbers different from Complex numbers?

Complex numbers have two components, a real part and an imaginary part, while tricomplex numbers have three components: a real part, an imaginary part, and a trinary part. This allows tricomplex numbers to represent a wider range of mathematical operations and can lead to new insights and solutions in certain mathematical problems.

What are the properties of Tricomplex numbers?

Tricomplex numbers follow the same basic rules as complex numbers, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They also have their own unique properties, such as the trinary conjugate and the trinary modulus, which are similar to the complex conjugate and modulus of complex numbers. Tricomplex numbers also have their own set of trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions.

What are some applications of Tricomplex numbers?

Tricomplex numbers have applications in various fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They can be used in solving systems of linear equations, differential equations, and in signal processing. They also have applications in quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electrical engineering. Tricomplex numbers have also been studied in the context of spatial reasoning and cognitive psychology.

How are Tricomplex numbers represented in the complex plane?

Tricomplex numbers can be represented in the three-dimensional complex plane, where the real and imaginary axes are extended to include a trinary axis. The trinary axis is perpendicular to the real and imaginary axes and represents the trinary component of the tricomplex number. This allows for a visual representation of tricomplex numbers and their relationship to complex numbers.